SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (104): « First < Previous 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 Next > Last »
Forest Hill Pools
Anotherjohn

19-09-2012 09:22 AM

The diving blocks are obviously only for use by competition swimmers who've learned the technique of a a shallow entry into the water - unlike someone who's going for a big plunge dive.

Maybe these platforms should have a sloping cover that prevents people from getting up onto them in the first place because the pool attendants are probably gonna have their work cut out dealing with some of the more adventurous or non-reading clientelle?

I agree with everyone who feels that the new pools complex is great for the area; and worth the wait to get it right.

Thank you to all of those who've worked hard to get it through.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tersie

19-09-2012 06:00 PM

I popped along today for a lunchtime swim and was very impressed. It was only £3.05 for a swim, which is great value. A fantastic addition to Forest Hill, thanks to all who have pushed this project to fruition.

Southlonder

19-09-2012 07:33 PM

this is great news, have printed the pool schedule and will take my toddler swimming on sunday morning, no more driving to Beckenham Thumbsup

michael

20-09-2012 08:04 AM

Don't forget to pop down on Saturday for the official pools opening celebration, with lots of activities throughout the day:
http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/inmyarea/even...rates.aspx
It is also the launch of Totally Locally Forest Hill, with great deals in lots of the shops in the town centre. See http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6862

lacb

20-09-2012 11:30 AM

Just tried the pool and yes it is great. A little too shallow at the shallow end and a degree or 2 too warm but otherwise excellent.

mrwandle

20-09-2012 11:38 AM

Went to the learner pool yesterday, seems that the timetable hasn't come into use yet as there were no schools there at all. Really nicely laid our changing rooms if you have your sprog in tow. Lovely pools.

Cafe terrace seems like a great sun trap. Had questions to ask the staff on reception but didn't want to queue up again, as stated previously they seem really stretched as lots of people are in there asking questions about facilities and filling out membership forms which takes a while. It would be great if it was easier to do these things online or on the phone, freeing up the staff on the desk.

Novels

21-09-2012 11:56 AM

I went there on Thursday and the pool itself is just smashing!
Really clean and pleasant.
I've[/u] found the showers a bit uncomfortable but I'm sure it'll be fixed!

blushingsnail

21-09-2012 12:09 PM

The Official Opening of the new Forest Hill pools takes place tomorrow (Saturday 22 September), along with a day of entertainment and activities, plus offers from local shops as part of their 'Totally Locally' campaign.

Activities to celebrate the official opening of the new pools:

Date : 22 September Time : All day
Photography exhibition past and present - Location : Forest Hill Pools

Time : 10am, 12 noon, 2pm
Power Plate demonstration - Location : Forest Hill Pools

Time : 10am, 10.30am, 12 noon, 1pm, 2.30pm
Taster sessions of activity classes in the fitness suite - Location : Forest Hill Pools

Time : 11am
Saxon Crown Swimming Club display - Location : Forest Hill Pools

Time : 11am, 12.30pm, 1.30pm
Boot camp: Taster sessions in the gym - Location : Forest Hill Pools

Time : 11am, 2pm
Guided tour of Forest Hill Pools

Time : 1pm
History of Forest Hill Pools: A talk by local historian, Steve Grindlay - Location : Forest Hill Pools

Time : 1-2pm
Underwater hockey: Demonstration and a taster session - Location : Forest Hill Pools

Time : 3pm
Inflatables session for the whole family - Location : Forest Hill Pools

Time : All day
Photographic exhibition and memory collection of Forest Hill pool and library past and present
Location - Forest Hill Library

Time : From 10am throughout the day
Victorian storytelling - Location : Forest Hill Library

Time : 12 noon-1.45pm
Wii gaming session - Location : Forest Hill Library

Time : 2–3.30pm
Poetry reading and workshops: a chance for 8-12 year olds to read, write and discover poetry - Location : Forest Hill Library

Time : 3.30pm
Forest Hill writers' group - Location : Forest Hill Library

(http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/inmyarea/even...rates.aspx)

I've listed the shopping offers as part of the Totally Locally campaign on this thread.

michael

21-09-2012 12:27 PM

There will also be a Forest Hill Society stall (and some others) throughout the day. So you can join the Forest Hill Society and help us to make sure Forest Hill continues to improve.
It would be great to meet some SE23.com members, it is always nice to find out who I've been speaking to all this time. I'll be wearing the London 2012 Aquatics T-shirt - so nice of the Olympics to produce t-shirts celebrating the opening of Forest Hill Pool Laugh

ryananglem

23-09-2012 05:40 PM

Well, I had my first swim over the weekend. Pretty nice actually, I also found out that the diving blocks are used by the saxon crown swimming club whose elite swimmers use the pool on club nights and are not as I first thought at the shallow end (which I might add is pretty shallow!).

The facilities are great for families too.

A great addition to the community.

hopper

23-09-2012 05:54 PM

I hate to be negative but I've just had a really bad experience at the pool.

A very long wait to be served (10 mins with only one person in front of us and five staff behind the counter doing nothing while the phone rang constantly).

Then the staff member who eventually served us was incredibly rude when we explained we were disappointed to find that we couldn't get a ticket for swimming at 17.10 when the pool officially doesn't close until 18.00 - and had therefore had a wasted journey.

I didn't mind the wait for service so much - teething problems and all that - but the man's attitude and the way he spoke to us was appalling. And it's their opening weekend!

I urge anyone who has the same experience to complain. I really hope things improve as I was looking forward to using the pool and I've never had problems with the customer service at Seven Islands or Ladywell.

robin orton

24-09-2012 11:49 AM

Had my first swim in the new pool this morning, in the over 60s 10.00-11.00 session. Hardly any queue to get in (although a bit of a one had built up when I came out just before 11.00) and there was plenty of room for everyone actually in the pool. The fact that the pool is, I think, substantially wider than the one at The Bridge, which I have hitherto used, is obviously helpful in terms of capacity, though that may raise issues for people who want to swim widths. Water temperature just right. Overall, I was most impressed.

Be warned - I tried to ignore the prominent notice saying 'shower before swim' (I always get away with it at The Bridge) but was, quite rightly, ordered back by one of the attendants.

There is no rail along the inner edge of the pool. Instead, there is a deep groove running along the top of the pool edge, set back a bit from the water, for you to grab when you want to turn or rest. I found this a bit awkward, though I shall no doubt get used to it.

Slightly more seriously I slipped and slightly twisted my (already fragile) lower back when I dived in at the deep end. The problem is that the water level is deliberately (I was told) set high enough for it to overflow the tiled pool edge, which is thereby made slippery. There is a corrugated strip which I assume is meant for you to stand on when you dive, but it is set back a couple of inches from the edge of the pool and I initially didn't notice it or think to use it. Having discussed with one of the pool attendants, I spoke to the manager and suggested it might be worth thinking about putting up a warning notice of some sort. He promised to consider this. (I made it clear that I didn't want an elfansafety meal made of the issue.)

I should say, in the light of the previous post, that all the staff I spoke to were polite and helpful.

This post was last modified: 24-09-2012 11:53 AM by robin orton.

rshdunlop

24-09-2012 02:20 PM

I once slipped at the edge of a pool with a similar high water level that lapped over the edges. I did a rather spectacular but inelegant somersault into the water. Luckily I went head first, as otherwise I could easily have banged my head n the side. There was great concern when I finally emerged as I seemed to be having difficulty breathing, but it was only be because I was laughing so hard. But with hindsight I realised I was rather lucky the only damage was to my dignity. A caution sign would be a good idea.

stillness_catherine

24-09-2012 03:39 PM

Like Hopper I also had a disappointing experience of the new pools yesterday. Went along at 9.30am with my husband and baby, and we couldn't get in because the learner pool was full, and were asked to wait in an area to the left of reception. I asked if there was any waiting system/list in place and the receptionist said they were going to implement one but at the moment it was one-in-one-out.

We had no further information from the staff. Ourselves and some other families were just sat on the ground in reception waiting. Sometimes people with kids would leave but we still couldn't go in (not clear why - maybe they weren't using the learner pool). After a while I asked again about the wait, to a different person on reception and she said 'What's your name? I'll check on the list.' - she had a list of names which we weren't on. The 3 families in front of us eventually got in, but after waiting 40 minutes with no helpful information (and asking a couple more times to staff who had no idea when we might be allowed in) we gave up and went home.

I understand that you can't go in when the pool is full - that's fine - but the staff weren't helpful and didn't have any system where you could put your name down and come back later to check when you could go in, or any idea how long the wait might be.

nottinghillbilly

24-09-2012 07:08 PM

I visited the pools for the first time today and was very impressed with the cleanliness and friendliness of the staff on duty.
My only negative comments are;

The Showers are really really pitiful, too weak to wash of the chlorine,
Or indeed to make one feel clean before entering the pool-could the water pressure be turned up a bit or something?

And-as a learner swimmer I found it difficult to swim along at my somewhat hesitant pace without feeling I was upsetting or getting in the way of other faster more experienced swimmers, It was Lane swimming when I visited, but in the absence of earmarked 'fast' and 'slow' designated lanes I found myself being told off by another swimmer for hesitating and getting in her way.
We all swim at different paces and most other pools do have signage designating lanes for different levels of swimmers-I suggest this is implemented at FH pool, with perhaps a wider lane for us slow swimmers.

gingernuts

24-09-2012 07:13 PM

Do Fusion have a feedback form where you could highlight these issues directly with the Pools? All good points as far as I can tell. The showers were a disappointment, I have to agree. They are probably set to some kind of 'energy efficient' level, which means you end up spending twice as long under them Cursing

nottinghillbilly

24-09-2012 09:37 PM

Good idea, I'll check for a feedback form next time I visit.Thumbup

Poppy9560

24-09-2012 10:34 PM

ooh you have put me off going to this pool nottinghillbilly- I am a slow swimer and want a slow lane. it's a shame because I was looking forward to the pools reopening - i haven't had a chance to go there yet but used to enjoy going there

Deano

24-09-2012 10:46 PM

Used the gym for the forst time tonight. Really impressed. Had a look at the swimmers and as far as I could see they were swimming somewhere between sloth-pace and snails-pace (apologies if it was one of you) The were practically treading water and there was a 1:1 ratio of lifeguards to swimmers (3:3) So don't be put off, just go in the evening!

nottinghillbilly

24-09-2012 11:27 PM

Yes! Poppy,
I just think I had bad luck with a particularly grumpy swimmer,
please dont let it put you off.
The pools are for everyone, and how can we be expected to improve if we dont get in and go for it!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill Pools Cllr Sophie Davis 1 4,161 11-02-2019 02:08 PM
Last Post: StuartG
  Forest Hill Pools Documentary hillview 0 2,960 06-01-2019 10:14 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Thefts from Forest Hill Pools Gym Lockers Tina 4 6,642 14-09-2018 09:25 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Forest Hill Assembly - Saturday 11 March , 1.30 – 3.30 pm at The Forest Hill Pools Cllr Paul Upex 0 3,227 07-03-2017 11:02 AM
Last Post: Cllr Paul Upex
  Forest Hill Pools Slipper Baths localbigwig 0 3,506 23-02-2016 06:54 PM
Last Post: localbigwig
  Face lift of block before Forest Hill Pools Cheeky 3 7,640 23-06-2014 01:39 PM
Last Post: digime
  Save Forest Hill Pools alexis 62 67,350 24-03-2008 09:38 PM
Last Post: sydenhamcentral