SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (104): « First < Previous 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 Next > Last »
Forest Hill Pools
Foresters

29-06-2010 09:53 AM

michael wrote:
Because there have been 10 objections to the planning application there will be a public meeting held to discuss the plans and objections....

I was working away at the time, but had hoped someone might have attended and reported on what happened.
Currently, the planning application shows that just 3 of the (only) 17 responses received are in favour, which doesn't seem particularly positive to me.
Does anyone know what's going on?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

29-06-2010 10:39 AM

The majority of objections relate to parking and the impact that a popular pool will have on Thorpewood Avenue.
The transport statement produced as part of the application does imply that parking will not be a problem, with plenty of parking within a 250m distance from the site. The highways department representative said that there would be a CPZ consultation in Thorpewood and Derby Hill once the pool is opened to see if residents want to reserve their parking places in the road.

There were some other concerns expressed about some aspects of the design, in some cases the architects seems willing to make some minor amendments (particularly improving the south facing wall in a future application), in other cases they were unwilling or unable to make any changes.

The meeting only lasted for an hour, which was not really long enough to properly discuss the concerns.

Foresters

29-06-2010 11:04 AM

Thank for the update. Michael.
I guess if there was a CPZ introduced, it would impact on the implication "that parking will not be a problem, with plenty of parking within a 250m distance from the site"

michael

29-06-2010 11:51 AM

Possibly, although somebody in the audience did point out that it could be like the CPZ in David Road, where many of the spaces are for residents but also pay and display for up to 2 hours.

This would prevent commuters to or from FH using this road for parking during the day but would likely push the parking problem somewhere else.

Satchers

29-06-2010 01:42 PM

I think the Perry Vale Car park is within 250m (as the crow flies) so there would still be quite a lot of parking in the vicinity. Even by walking direct this must only be about 500m (6 minutes walk?)

The public meeting was generally pretty positive (as I think the forum is really). It was about discussing and airing some of the finer details, rather than the principle or the overall approach.

Even the people who had issues mostly said they supported the overall project and scheme.

borderpaul

02-07-2010 01:22 PM

I walk through the Perry Vale car park on my way to the sorting office and normally notice more pedestrians about than cars parked even though you don't have to fly like a crow to be at the station in about 30 seconds or in the centre of FH in a minute.

You have to pay which I guess puts most people off and it always looks a bit unloved.

I think most people if they had to pay would prefer to pay to park around the swimming pool than spend 7 minutes getting to and from a car park on the other side of the tracks especially if it was for a short swim.

Everybody is positive about the pool and I think we have to give credit to the locals who will have to put up with the construction noise and dust but have only raised issues about being able to park where they live.

gingernuts

02-07-2010 01:39 PM

Seems to defeat the object of getting fit if you drive to your local pool.

Ex FH Pat

02-07-2010 01:55 PM

Think I will have to agree with Gingernuts, if you want to try and get fit by swimming, then why drive to the pool

Not sure how the old pool in FH is now as it been such a long time since I went there, seem to recall they had 2 pools and i think it was really good - well it was when I last went, I even went on the morning of my weeding, sad or what or just dedicated to swimming as i was back in the old days

rshdunlop

02-07-2010 02:39 PM

Lots of people do use swimming as a therapeutic exercise if they are less mobile. If you use the Perry Vale car park you either have to negotiate the steps in the underpass or walk around Waldram Crescent and up the quite steep hill. Not great for the less mobile or families with buggies (beat you to it, Roz!). FH pool will not be within walking distance for me. If parking is an issue, I'll still use The Bridge, for all it's faults. But that doesn't mean I think there should be more parking at FH pool, just that as a driver, I may use an alternative pool.

ryananglem

02-07-2010 03:37 PM

Although I am now a reasonably regular swimmer, I only got into it by having a rather serious injury that stopped me from walking. My rehabilitation after a few months involved walking/running on the spot in water - so Id be supported. I would have struggled to walk with crutches to the pools if I lived on the Perry Vale side of the tracks. I used to catch the bus to the crappy pools in Ladywell.

There is no easy public transport option to Dartmouth Rd from say, Vancouver Road.

To be fair however, I couldnt have driven then either.

NewForester

03-07-2010 11:21 AM

ex FH Pat wrote:
Not sure how the old pool in FH is now

It's a bit like this

larger copy

FiB

04-07-2010 01:56 AM

Hi LiseOfSE23,
You asked:

Quote:
Parking, there are no other options than parking on local residential roads. Does anyone remember what it was like when the old pools were still open?

We moved to Thorpewood Avenue a few years before the pools closed (having a swimming pool at the end of the road was a big factor in our decision to move here Unsure) and don't remember any problems with parking - and I'm at home all day with children. However, a couple of my neighbours seem to disagree and recall cars parked across their driveways, blocking them in, mothers leaving their vehicles willy-nilly as they rushed off to lessons with offspring, and the road generally being one big car park...Rolleyes
At the moment, with a primary school at the top of the road and another at the bottom, we get most cars parking at 8.45am/3pm, but the rest of the day/evening/weekend, it's pretty quiet. Personally, I can't see what all the fuss is about - but I may regret saying that... Blush

FiB

04-07-2010 12:12 PM

HOWEVER... (she says, having thought about it a bit more)... back in the day, when the pools were on the slightly, ahem, shabby, neglected side, they probably didn't attract that many drivers (I guess if you were going to jump in your car, you might as well drive somewhere clean and shiny). When we have a spanking new, glorious leisure centre (bring it on!), it may be a different story... Smile

Satchers

04-07-2010 03:11 PM

Let's hope the new pool is managed more effectively than The Bridge.

Another failed attempt to swim there today. Small pool closed earlier than I was told on the phone it would (today) and consequently large pool full.

I could excuse this if it was a one off but it happens with monotonous regularity with more of our family swims being curtailed or failed than seem to happen. Nearly always to do with short staffing.

ryananglem

04-07-2010 08:30 PM

Thats my experience with both The Bridge and Ladywell pools. Poorly updated website and staff who either dont know what times each session starts and finishes or dont care.

borderpaul

05-07-2010 10:45 AM

FiB
I have friends in Thorpewood Avenue and I asked about the issue of parking before the swimming pool closed. Generally people didn't think there was a problem because it wasn't very popular and because the schools weren't highly regarded. Things have changed in FH over the last 5 years and the two schools are in the top 5 in Lewisham which has attracted a lot of young families there.

As for the parking issue, there seems to be three camps.

The first are the people who pay their taxes and feel that they shouldn't have to pay for parking on their street either due to economic or political beliefs.

The second which sounds like you are part of are those with off street parking mainly on the FH side. You have got that space either parking in the driveway or across it. Parking has never been an issue for you. You might have a second car but it is out during the day.

The third are the people on the terrace who have problems getting a parking space. They have about 20 steps up to their houses so deliveries, carrying shopping or kids is that bit harder if you have to park a distance away or on the other side. People prefer to park on that side as it is nearer, they don't have to worry about driveways and it seems safer. They can't get to park outside their house except after 5, on Saturdays and Sundays and feel that the swimming pool will turn their road into a 7-11 carpark 7 days a week.

FiB

05-07-2010 03:04 PM

BorderPaul
All good points. Yes, I do have off-road parking in a driveway on the FH side and a second car that's not around most weekdays, so parking for us has never been a problem (except when the after-school club bus parks across our driveway, but they always move when I ask).
Most of my neighbours across the road seem to park fine outside their houses at all times at the moment (but we're at the bottom end of the hill - the top is heaving when Eliot Bank parents drop off/pick up) - or when you say, "They can't get to park outside their house except after 5, on Saturdays and Sundays", did you mean once we have the new pool/when the old pool was open? I guess there's no real knowing how it's going to pan out until it happens (she says, obviously)... With any luck, most swimmers/exercisers will walk/cycle! Smile

PS Are you sure BOTH schools are in the top 5???

Satchers - have you tried Crystal Palace? My kids all have their lessons at CP, plus I swim a couple of times a week there myself. Much better since the changing rooms/showers were rebuilt and they only close the pools for galas but there's usually plenty of notice (worth checking the website if you don't go regularly). Plus there's a LOVELY new cafe with proper coffee Thumbsup

Satchers

05-07-2010 07:05 PM

Thanks FIB
I'll try crystal palace

FHSoc

08-07-2010 11:32 AM

A new contract for leisure management is to be awarded next year. If you have any opinions or points you would like to raise, please contact me and I will raise them with Chris Best (Cabinet Member for Community Services).

Public Accounts Select Committee report, p15 wrote:
Savings are expected to be achieved through the new contract which will be re-awarded from October 2011. The new facilities at Loampit Vale and Forest Hill will be cheaper to run than those they replace and, at this stage, there is also the option of reducing the scope of the contract. The precise details of these reductions are yet to be identified. Possible savings £100,000 pa

michael

22-07-2010 03:15 PM

The plans for the pools development is going to planning committee tonight and is recommended for approval by the planning officers.
http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/councilanddem...202010.htm

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill Pools Cllr Sophie Davis 1 4,160 11-02-2019 02:08 PM
Last Post: StuartG
  Forest Hill Pools Documentary hillview 0 2,959 06-01-2019 10:14 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Thefts from Forest Hill Pools Gym Lockers Tina 4 6,640 14-09-2018 09:25 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Forest Hill Assembly - Saturday 11 March , 1.30 – 3.30 pm at The Forest Hill Pools Cllr Paul Upex 0 3,227 07-03-2017 11:02 AM
Last Post: Cllr Paul Upex
  Forest Hill Pools Slipper Baths localbigwig 0 3,506 23-02-2016 06:54 PM
Last Post: localbigwig
  Face lift of block before Forest Hill Pools Cheeky 3 7,640 23-06-2014 01:39 PM
Last Post: digime
  Save Forest Hill Pools alexis 62 67,344 24-03-2008 09:38 PM
Last Post: sydenhamcentral