SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (104): « First < Previous 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 Next > Last »
Forest Hill Pools
nevermodern

29-08-2008 02:03 PM

Does anyone have a link to this survey? I know it's been posted before, but probably a while back. Thanks Smile

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

29-08-2008 03:47 PM

Please Hill Top give our Mayor some respect it is not just Bullock.
It should be Mayor Bullock I would think.

hilltopgeneral

29-08-2008 04:20 PM

Sir Bullock now isn't it?

I normally write it as a plural and/or put an asterisk in place of the "u" but the Administrator spares you all from my childish rudeness.

roz

29-08-2008 07:27 PM

Re ''STGOFH - the Movie; almost clicked on ' Crystal Palace Park- walking with dinosaurs' by mistake. I wonder why.

But then I've often clicked on the thread ' Crime Map of Forest Hill ' accidentally instead of this one.

They must have bussed this lot in as I believe quite a few of the movie participants don't actually live in the area. But then as you already know I'm a little parochial....

sydenhamcentral

30-08-2008 01:33 PM

Not sure how you managed to almost click on that Roz, the movies on the first page via the link...but anyway.

The council did screw up the consultation about the pools options.

English Heritage listed Louise house. They thought it was worth saving. This was separate to the campaign STFOFH.

The vast majority of those who signed the petition to save the face of forest hill lived in forest hill or very close to it.

The campaign to STFOFH have never said that they wanted to delay the pools. They want the pools. As soon as possible. But they want to retain the frontages of the buildings and they believe both are possible. So do I.

With the current climate, with Forest Hill central on hold and other flats not selling on Kirkdale and surrounding areas, building flats to finance the pools isn't really an option right now. The council is under pressure to build new housing, especially low income housing so it had to consider it.

I've no idea where this idea that there is a war between Forest Hill and Sydenham..Utter childish twadddle. Grow up.

Talking of new pools, isn't there supposed to be a new pool opposite MFI in Lewisham? It's supposed to be open by 2010. The design of that looks really great. Click on the link at the top of the page to view: http://www.loampitvale.co.uk/news.html

There is a solution to win over all. I hope the council can work it out and give Forest Hill the streetscape and pools it's rightly deserves.

One more thing, are the pools now drained and empty? A month or so back the back door was left open (again) and I managed to have a look around inside (again) It seemed empty). The water was heated, it was hot inside, the pools were full.

Max

30-08-2008 02:51 PM

Loampti Vale pool (opposite MFI) has a lot in common with what the Council proposed here. It is built with a part of capital investment and a part of receipts from housing and it is built new and not as a refurbishment and extension of an existing building.
Another thing that it has in common with what proposed for Forest Hill is that its first draft of design was highly unsatisfactory and following public protest it underwent a dramatic redesign and now it's much better (although it could do with two more lanes).

Talking of flats and sales, the Council owns the land, it could go ahead with building the pool (as in option 1) and then develop the rest. It could even borrow against the value of the land if planning consent is given and use the money to go ahead with oprion 2 or 3 with a view to develop that part later or develop it and rent or any other possibility.

If you read what Cllr Best said to the South London Press you'd see that the money available has already lost one third. The Council had committed ?11m and now tey're talking of ?7.5m and you really don't build much with that nowadays.

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/tn/News.cfm?id=14547

roz

31-08-2008 07:48 PM

Just noticed today that on the Pools external notice board, amidst the Face Off Forest Hill notices and some very nice pictures of Milton Keynes, there is also an A4 typed letter referring to the campaign to save the face, etc. This letter is anti the campaign but it also condemns the Forest Hill Society for leading on the retention of the existing building discussions. As far as I am aware, this statement is largely inaccurate; the FHS has been promoting a balanced position, and not automatic retention. Other than that, the letter is well written. And not by me, however, in case anyone was wondering....

Sherwood

31-08-2008 07:54 PM

I just want some decent facilities. The more resources are diverted to preservation of a load of old rubbish, the less there is to spend on the swimming pools. And bear in mind what our Chancellor is saying about the economy. If the project is delayed too long, it may be cancelled.

michael

31-08-2008 09:50 PM

I have been done to delete the reference to the Forest Hill Society as the listing was not done by the Forest Hill Society but by an individual who, as yet, has chosen to remain unidentified (as has the poster of this latest notice).

I did receive an electronic copy of the poster and I have attached it here with the inaccurate reference to Forest Hill Society crossed out.

Attached File(s)
.doc File  graysinner.doc (Size: 28 KB / Downloads: 364)
Tim Walder

03-09-2008 09:35 PM

I asked for Louise House to be listed and I am very glad that the application was successful.

The Save the Face of Forest Hill campaign is continuing with its main focus being to ensure the retention of the Pools frontage block.

Our petition is ongoing, please visit:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/save...-hill.html

At the time of writing we have 1,355 signatures.

I object to Roz's suggestion that "these people were bussed in" for the photo call with the banner which appeared in the South London Press and elsewhere. All of the people in that picture are known to me and they all live in SE23 and SE26 with the possible exception of Jean Lambert, the Green MEP for London who came because she supported the campaign and was courteous enough to check with me first.

roz

03-09-2008 09:58 PM

It would appear that the pools themselves were considered for listing but were refused so thankfully I suspect that this matter will not go any further regardless of any such petition.

Perryman

04-09-2008 01:16 AM

Does anyone know if the pools are still full of water and being heated?
There was a fairly recent post saying they were.

brian

04-09-2008 08:18 AM

Perryman
Surely this is a joke.?

Max

04-09-2008 12:23 PM

Is it true that if you look over the water at midnight you can see the whiskered figure of Mayor Theofilus W. Williams swimming in long johns and adding character to the area?

grasshopper

04-09-2008 12:28 PM

Is it true that you are the Max that saved Ladywell Pools?

Max

04-09-2008 12:47 PM

That Max indeed.

jon14

04-09-2008 02:03 PM

Michael wrote wrote:
I have been done to delete the reference to the Forest Hill Society as the listing was not done by the Forest Hill Society but by an individual who, as yet, has chosen to remain unidentified (as has the poster of this latest notice).

I did receive an electronic copy of the poster and I have attached it here with the inaccurate reference to Forest Hill Society crossed out.

I think I'd have remained 'unidentified' if I'd have written that too!

"Rampant hatred for anything new"....it's just soooo bad and lazy.

I don't suppose the writer of this has rampant hatred for 'old things' do they?

brian

04-09-2008 03:08 PM

Rampant hatred a bit strong Jon. Guess the people who want to preserve LH are well meaning although I personally think they are misguided.

jon14

04-09-2008 03:20 PM

Brian wrote:
Rampant hatred a bit strong Jon. Guess the people who want to preserve LH are well meaning although I personally think they are misguided.

Brian, I was quoting the article/poster attached to Michael's post above that was written by an unidentified person. He/she accuses all preservationists of 'rampant hatred' of anything new.

As I said, no wonder they wish to remain nameless....

jon14

04-09-2008 03:36 PM

Roz wrote:
Other than that, the letter is well written. And not by me, however, in case anyone was wondering....

How on earth you can read that and come to the conclusion that it was well written is far beyond me.

If something's well written it must at least attempt to be evidence based for a start. For those who haven't downloaded the 'well written' piece, here is a paragraph:

IT IS TO BE HOPED THAT WHEN THE NEXT SERIES OF LOCAL ELECTIONS COMES AROUND FINGERS WILL NOT BE POINTED AT LEWISHAM LABOUR PARTY IN THE SEARCH FOR A SCAPEGOAT TO BLAME FOR THIS TRAVESTY AND THAT THOSE LOCALS WHO FELT FIT TO PARADE THEIR SMALL CHILDREN -IN SUPPORT OF A PETITION WHICH THEY COULD HARDLY UNDERSTAND AND WHICH WAS LARGELY STUPID AND TOTALLY MISGUIDED-WILL REALISE THE FOLLY OF THEIR WAYS. (Yep, it's all in capitals!)

Really well reasoned, I'm sure you all agree. It doesn't stop there - if you're in favour of preserving the buildings, you're also 'BLINKERED' and selfish, too.

It's awful!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill Pools Cllr Sophie Davis 1 4,160 11-02-2019 02:08 PM
Last Post: StuartG
  Forest Hill Pools Documentary hillview 0 2,959 06-01-2019 10:14 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Thefts from Forest Hill Pools Gym Lockers Tina 4 6,640 14-09-2018 09:25 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Forest Hill Assembly - Saturday 11 March , 1.30 – 3.30 pm at The Forest Hill Pools Cllr Paul Upex 0 3,227 07-03-2017 11:02 AM
Last Post: Cllr Paul Upex
  Forest Hill Pools Slipper Baths localbigwig 0 3,506 23-02-2016 06:54 PM
Last Post: localbigwig
  Face lift of block before Forest Hill Pools Cheeky 3 7,640 23-06-2014 01:39 PM
Last Post: digime
  Save Forest Hill Pools alexis 62 67,342 24-03-2008 09:38 PM
Last Post: sydenhamcentral