SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (104): « First < Previous 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 Next > Last »
Forest Hill Pools
robin orton

09-09-2013 10:46 AM

I went to the over 60s session in the main pool at the new time (9.00-10.00) this morning. Lots of obviously younger people swimming. No doubt things will settle down, but I often wonder why the management don't put up a notice board in a prominent position in reception (an easel, flip chart paper and marker pens would be all that was necessary) saying what the pool timetable was for that day. I'm sure that would prevent some misunderstandings.

Can I also say that personally I've never noticed dirty changing cubicles.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PollyEster63

09-09-2013 12:26 PM

I was there this morning too, after checking the timetable online which said 'general swim', it wasn't, it was lane swimming ( which is fine, but not what I wanted for my Monday morning) I asked at reception if there was a new time table printout I could have as the one online wasn't accurate, But apparently, fusion haven't seen fit to send out timetables to the pools yet.. so it's a bit of a lucky dip as to what you get/when you go.

OakR

09-09-2013 12:48 PM

I've never found the changing rooms that bad to be fair.

I understand why there are classes etc in the evening, but it does leave it tight for people who work and want a post dinner \ putting the kids to bed swim.

Cellar Door

09-09-2013 01:28 PM

PollyEster63 wrote:
… it's a bit of a lucky dip…

That is fantastic PollyEster63!

I’m now going to start calling the place Lucky Dip Pools.

It’s coming up to the first anniversary of its opening soon, isn’t it?

I’m so happy with the place. I use the Fitness Centre. And nearly one year on the equipment is holding up well. I find the other users of the Fitness Centre most pleasant.

I’m very pleased that they have a Power Plate. I thought it was a fad but the results are striking. I’ve been using one since about 2 years ago up in central London. My former employer used to provide a discounted Personal Trainer and this well educated professional would give me exercises on the Power Plate.

I remember him telling me it was an expensive piece of kit. I think that the one in the Lucky Dip Pools is worth about £5k. Thank you Fusion for investing in it for us! And I’ve never known it to not work.

Oh, a question that has bubbled up in my mind since Fish Face asked their question, and the subsequent conversation, about Women Only sessions.

Here is my question:

When it is Women Only in the pools, I’m wondering how do women feel that everyone can view them from the Fitness Centre since the purpose, I presume, is to have a Women Only space? I’d have thought that visual and physical space would be as important to people from various backgrounds (e.g. religious, body image issues).

Anyway, I’m off to Lucky Dip Pools to visit my mate the Power Plate.

PollyEster63

09-09-2013 01:35 PM

[That is fantastic PollyEster63 I’m now going to start calling the place Lucky Dip Pools ]

Oh, I wish I'd said that on purpose!! Sad

Lucky dip pools it is then![/quote]

Cellar Door

09-09-2013 01:39 PM

PollyEster63 wrote:
Lucky dip pools it is then!

Tee Hee! I wonder if we could convince the Admin of this forum to change the title of this thread to Lucky Dip Pools?

Campervan Tim

10-09-2013 11:00 AM

Having read the comments bemoaning younger people in the pools I'd like to make an observation from another angle. Whilst children playing (nothing wrong with that btw) can be frustrating if you are serious about swimming for exercise or as a sport, adult behaviour can be equally disruptive.

I have encountered problems taking my nine year old son lane swimming as it seems to be the thought of grown ups that the swimming pool is their preserve only. Twice we were told by staff that he couldnt go in during lane swimming and on several occasions we've had tut-tutting and comments from other users, that we should wait until the general swim.

Yet the point is that he wants to lane swim because he enjoys it and because it supports his other sports. He is a good enough swimmer to do so in the slow lane and is no slower (indeed often faster & with better technique) than many users of the slow lane. I often see people swimming in inappropriate lanes that they are too fast or too slow for.

So my point would be that rather than adult only sessions, basing it on ability & behaviour could be better. Perhaps better lane discipline by the swimmers (it happens in other pools) and better enforcement of it by staff would then allow children / young people to lane swim if they so desire.

FHP

12-09-2013 02:02 PM

Please note the dates below for the up coming members forum at Forest Hill Pools.
Hope you can make it!
Until then, we welcome all constructive feedback at the centre, aimed at helping us improve the delivery of service.

MEMBERS FORUM
WHERE?
Forest Hill Pools – Community room
WHEN?
Thursday 7th November 2013
Thursday 15th MAY 2014
Thursday 13th February 2014
7pm
WHO?
All are welcomeSmile

Benderish

18-09-2013 11:50 PM

I may be barking up the wrong tree here, but is there anyway the gym is able to put more weights in, not just more exercise bikes? It is a good gym and I enjoy going but all you need is a squat rack, a bench press and some weights to make it great.

I'm sure to offend someone by saying if you want cardio, go for a run (sorry!) but can please put some more real gym equipment in =)

Jane_D

19-09-2013 08:56 AM

I am equally puzzled, Cellar Door, by the illogic of having women-only sessions which can be viewed from the fitness centre and indeed from the reception area, where sofas and coffee tables are provided for the purpose. The windows do have what look like venetian blinds, which could presumably be tweaked to allow privacy, but they never seem to be. Odd!

Cellar Door

19-09-2013 09:25 AM

Jane_D wrote:
I am equally puzzled...

It is a puzzle.

I've never noticed when the Women Only sessions are. Are they well used, I wonder?

Jane_D

19-09-2013 09:56 AM

Mondays at 9pm. I'll go along next week and find out. Probably best that you are not seen taking a head count from behind a potted plant or a treadmill.

Cellar Door

19-09-2013 11:16 AM

Jane_D wrote:
Probably best that you are not seen taking a head count from behind a potted plant…

I was going to disguise myself AS a potted plant. Now thinking more sensibly about it, a potted plant moving around the pools would attract suspicion.

Thank you very much Jane_D. I look forward to your analysis on the Women Only sessions’ usage. And thank you for saving me the time and expense of making a 6 foot 2 inch high potted plant disguise.

MightyMouse

19-09-2013 08:11 PM

The last time I went to a women-only session it was indeed pretty busy. I suspect it's because people like me, who don't actually need it to be women-only (couldn't care less, if you want to ogle me in my cossie it's your eyesight you're messing with - bleach helps, I'm told Wink), but assume it will be quieter, and so head along to those sessions specifically.

I'd say they're a bit quieter than mixed-sex sessions at a similar time, but not by much.

And yeah, I don't get it either. Not just can people in the gym and in the seating areas see you, but they make it clear they can't guarantee the lifeguards on duty won't be blokes. There may also be chaps in the mixed gender changing rooms, coming out from their swim or even changing for the gym. So your chances of encountering a bloke are still pretty high, and certainly entirely uncontrollable and unpredictable.

Jane_D

19-09-2013 09:20 PM

You make it sound rather exciting, MightyMouse, all those unpredictable men leaping out. Though I'll be sorry to miss the six-foot-two peripatetic potplant...

nottinghillbilly

19-09-2013 09:44 PM

I must say I always feel really self conscious about the people on the cardio machines gazing down at me flapping around in the pool.
I dont understand why they don't have the machines facing the tv screens rather than the pool.
Re; the comment regarding needing more weights and less cardio machines, I always think free weights are easy to do at home, but not everyone has space or money for a cardio machine (i wish)
Also it is only a small gym So really can't cater for everyone.
Finally I noticed that the Sunday morning Aqua aerobics have now been taken off of the timetable.
Lets hope they give us an evening option of Aqua at long last.

This post was last modified: 19-09-2013 09:45 PM by nottinghillbilly.

gingernuts

20-09-2013 09:42 AM

There is a big difference being looked at from the cadio machines through a glass window to having a near naked man, in skimpy trunks, and pulsating muscles (oh er) crashing into you at 100 miles an hour. I think the ladies sessions are there to encourage women who wouldnt otherwise go, as the waters can get quite choppy in the mixed sessions.

nottinghillbilly

20-09-2013 12:07 PM

Yeah, I'd agree with the choppy waters!

nottinghillbilly

23-09-2013 08:04 PM

Getting a bit bored with moaning about the pools but here we go.
Tonight my other half and I fancied going for a swim, we checked the online timetable and it appeared that although one lane in the large pool was being used for lessons the rest were all open for general swimming.
We went along (this was about 6pm) but upon glancing through the windows at the pool it appeared that only the wide general swim area was open to the general public with the remaining three lanes closed for lessons. As he is a serious lane swimmer he gave up and went home, as last week when the same thing happened he found it impossible to do a serious length without colliding with someone. As a new swimmer I decided to carry on regardless and paid my £3.50 (Im not a member he is). The general swim area was like hell on earth, dive-bombing and splashing kids, people just standing and talking in the pool, etc etc etc.
I stuck it out for 20mins and then gave up, there were a few other people trying to do lengths in the general swim area and finding it just as impossible. The timetable is really hard to decipher as to how many lanes are out of action at any given time, you look-see 'general swim' 6-9pm great! Then scroll further and realise that this seems to mean only the wide lane with no other lanes available for fast or slow swimmers.
I would suggest that general swim is renamed 'general splash' cos there is very little swimming going on, and not for the first time I suggest that from 7.30-10pm we have adults only with a wide lane for slow swimmers and another lane for serious faster swimmers.
It seems there are only about two evenings a week where there is open lane swimming in the pool. which is a bit rubbish really for those of us who work.

Applespider

23-09-2013 08:53 PM

"Re; the comment regarding needing more weights and less cardio machines, I always think free weights are easy to do at home, but not everyone has space or money for a cardio machine (i wish)"

I'd say the opposite. Cardio doesn't need a machine in a gym - you can run outside, cycle, climb stairs, go for a long walk, do some body-weight circuits with burpees - or use minimal equipment like skipping with a rope or kettlebell swings etc. And many people don't use machines in the gym to get most benefit (e.g. putting the incline on the treadmill up and then hanging onto the bar for dear life).

Free weights are easy to do at home if you're primarily using hand weights for arms/shoulders or as a beginner to squats/deadlifts.chest press. As soon as you want to progress though, you're talking about some really expensive weights, benches and cages - which all take up far more room and cost more than the average exercise bike.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill Pools Cllr Sophie Davis 1 4,134 11-02-2019 02:08 PM
Last Post: StuartG
  Forest Hill Pools Documentary hillview 0 2,942 06-01-2019 10:14 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Thefts from Forest Hill Pools Gym Lockers Tina 4 6,611 14-09-2018 09:25 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Forest Hill Assembly - Saturday 11 March , 1.30 – 3.30 pm at The Forest Hill Pools Cllr Paul Upex 0 3,212 07-03-2017 11:02 AM
Last Post: Cllr Paul Upex
  Forest Hill Pools Slipper Baths localbigwig 0 3,497 23-02-2016 06:54 PM
Last Post: localbigwig
  Face lift of block before Forest Hill Pools Cheeky 3 7,619 23-06-2014 01:39 PM
Last Post: digime
  Save Forest Hill Pools alexis 62 67,235 24-03-2008 09:38 PM
Last Post: sydenhamcentral