SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (104): « First < Previous 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 Next > Last »
Forest Hill Pools
timbo

13-08-2013 10:06 AM

Kipya, protection from whom?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kipya

13-08-2013 10:21 AM

My question was, who is the presumed reader of the 'refrain from' text? It appears to me that it is not a woman nor an over-60 swimmer, which in turn suggests why it is that these groups might have some (smallish) allocation of pool time.

robin orton

13-08-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:
My question was, who is the presumed reader of the 'refrain from' text? It appears to me that it is not [...] an over-60 swimmer[...]

I've never been so insulted on my life. I am constantly being ticked off by the attendants for poolside petting.

MightyMouse

13-08-2013 08:28 PM

I think there's a men-only session at one of the pools (I forget which), but I have to say I'm not fond of gender-segregation, really. But, if it has to happen, there should be an equal amount of men-only time at each pool.

(I'm female, FWIW.)

Fish Face

13-08-2013 09:49 PM

It's all a bit Victorian, perhaps in keeping with the pools original heritage.

If women prefer that, fine, but I'm paying equal monthly membership for less pool hours.

nottinghillbilly

13-08-2013 10:03 PM

May I add that I believe that the "Women Only' sessions are probably to allow Muslim women a chance to use the pool.
Which is only fair

michael

14-08-2013 02:05 PM

I don't think it is just Muslim women but older women, overweight women, and other religions and cultures, all of whom may feel more comfortable in a women only environment. And for two hours a week, just before the pool closes, I think men can put up with paying the same for 2.5% less time - it's not like anybody can use all 78 hours the pool is open for over the course of a week.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

14-08-2013 02:54 PM

Sounds like a challenge...

nottinghillbilly

14-08-2013 08:01 PM

Having visited a pool a few times during the summer holidays and I am finding the changing rooms less pleasant that usual. I can understand that everything gets wet and the less regular swimmers might not understand the need to avoid drenching every surface.......but the changing area and cubicles have also become a dustbin and toilet. So now I can slip in water, waste and wee!! I would wash it off in the showers but these have a hint of au de wee too.

Perhaps Fusion could put some extra cleaners in during the busiest months especially as theses irregular customers cause more mess than the usual.

cllr chris best

14-08-2013 08:34 PM

Fusion are hosting a user forum next Thursday 22 August - 7pm - a great opportunity to give feedback to the manager.

Mr_Numbers

15-08-2013 02:09 PM

Fish Face, if you swim 2.5% faster than the women, then you'll be using just as much pool water Wink

michael

15-08-2013 03:07 PM

Mr_Numbers,
Since the average man weighs 20% more than the average woman and is 9% taller, they have a greater volume and are going to displace a lot more water from the pool and take up more of the lanes.
Men don't need to go faster to use considerably more water.

Mr_Numbers

15-08-2013 03:30 PM

Clearly, Michael, we have our very own Archimedes in our midst!

Perryman

16-08-2013 11:55 AM

"Since the average man weighs 20% more than the average woman and is 9% taller, they have a greater volume"

Just because someone is taller or weighs more, does not necessarily mean they have a greater volume.

Unless the activity requirement is different, then I am against exclusive use of the pool for groups. It is not a fashion/beauty parade or social/religious gathering - people need to take exercise as the priority.

michael

16-08-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:
Just because someone is taller or weighs more, does not necessarily mean they have a greater volume.

I don't believe there is enough of a difference between the densities of the male and female body to negate the difference from a taller and heavier body. However, if men are more dense then you would have to consider that women are more buoyant and therefore more of their volume would be outside the water, unless they dive more or spend time doing aqua-aerobics.

The point remains that nobody could actually expect to spend 78 hours in the water per week and the women only sessions are timed to have minimal impact on male swimmers. If they have any popularity then they should be continued.

OakR

16-08-2013 08:11 PM

I'm personally against Women only \ Adult only swims and the timing is not good for me. I have a young child and by the time I put him to bed (which after not seeing him at work during the day I want to do) I can't get to the pools before around 8.30pm, which cuts my swim time down to a max 30 mins on Monday. I work Tue eves (and spend the mornings with my son) so am down to 3 evenings to get a possible decent swim in.

I realise the above is more particular to me, so ignoring that the reason I would be against Adult only 18+ swims is that there is no reason a 14/15/16 year old should not be allowed to swim at the same time - it's about how people conduct themselves and all that needs is some basic rules of conduct enforced. I've been swimming in the evenings before with young people who are great swimmers and just want to swim, I don't see why they should be stopped.

I think men can feel equally self conscious about their bodies as women.

I accept there may be some religious why women may not want to \ be able to under those 'rules', and on that basis a different session might be offered. I can live with the Monday night - you can't please all of the people all of the time as they say.

nottinghillbilly

07-09-2013 07:54 PM

Really dismayed Friday evening when my OH came to meet me at the pool at 7.30pm for our customary friday evening joint swim, to be told There is no longer any general swim on Friday evening the whole large pool is given over to a private (I believe) scuba diving class and one lane for adult swimming lessons (which I attend) organised by Fusion.
When we went to the front desk to ask if this was a one off occurrence and the manager told us that no this was the new timetable.
He claimed that the pool wasn't very busy on a Friday evening so they decided to hire the rest of the large pool out to a company to take lessons.
Sorry....BUT...having moaned about how busy the large pool is with overcrowded lanes and mayhem in the larger 'mixed ability' area on a Friday night I find it hard to believe that the pool wasn't busy enough.
What about full time working locals like us who can only get to swim in the evening after 7pm? One look at the timetable and you will see that most evenings are taken up with various swimming clubs.
This all smacks of just an extra revenue maker for Fusion with no thought given to local needs. On Friday evening the learner pool was crammed with parents and kids who'd had to go in there rather than use the large pool. I'm FUMING apologies for any tyo's etc just I just needed to get this off my chest...at this rate I'll have no option but to practise my swimming at beckenham spaCursingCursingCursing[/b]

Poppy9560

08-09-2013 12:10 PM

I printed off the timetable for the whole Borough - it's not convenient for me at all now Ladywell has shut down - they used to have teatime lane swimming on Sat and Sun Sad the new Glass Mill has very little except family swim.
I went to the FH women only session yesterday and was shocked at the state of the changing rooms! how can people treat any facility so badly let alone a new one Sad
I wouldn't want to be a cleaner there - they must despise the pool users

nottinghillbilly

08-09-2013 08:30 PM

Yes-the cleanliness of the changing rooms is an ongoing bone of contention.
But I'd even stop moaning about that if I could get to use the pool!
It makes me wonder if Fusion think the demographic of Forest hill is the unemployed,Stay at home mums and pensioners.
Because there really is so little time that anyone can use the pool in the evening.
Sad thing is..we are the ones who have to pay full wack to use the facilities.

Novels

09-09-2013 10:07 AM

I agree with you, Nottinghillbilly.

Therefore, I either go to Brixton, which is a pain, or more recently to the East Dulwich Pool in Crystal Palace road.
Much better in many respects.

...Sorry for the ED word!!! Laugh

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill Pools Cllr Sophie Davis 1 4,133 11-02-2019 02:08 PM
Last Post: StuartG
  Forest Hill Pools Documentary hillview 0 2,942 06-01-2019 10:14 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Thefts from Forest Hill Pools Gym Lockers Tina 4 6,608 14-09-2018 09:25 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Forest Hill Assembly - Saturday 11 March , 1.30 – 3.30 pm at The Forest Hill Pools Cllr Paul Upex 0 3,209 07-03-2017 11:02 AM
Last Post: Cllr Paul Upex
  Forest Hill Pools Slipper Baths localbigwig 0 3,497 23-02-2016 06:54 PM
Last Post: localbigwig
  Face lift of block before Forest Hill Pools Cheeky 3 7,618 23-06-2014 01:39 PM
Last Post: digime
  Save Forest Hill Pools alexis 62 67,217 24-03-2008 09:38 PM
Last Post: sydenhamcentral