SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (104): « First < Previous 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 Next > Last »
Forest Hill Pools
brian

03-03-2009 12:48 PM

Michael
I agree live / work units would be ideal. However I may be wrong but seem to recall thatn for devolpments like The Print House the live/work units are the most difficult to sell. How much demand is there for them in SE 23

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

03-03-2009 01:17 PM

I am told by people who know what they are talking about, that proper Live/Work units are fairly recession proof as they are ideal ways for people to downsize without the need to run two properties for work and business. The Print Works are not 'real live/work' and this creates a number of problems for potential buyers when the property is not one thing or another or a good balance between them.

gingernuts

03-03-2009 01:22 PM

WW is in SE26 not SE23 remember. This is not Forest Hill!!!!

nasaroc

04-03-2009 10:32 AM

I've spoken to a number of the owners of businesses along Dartmouth Road who are absolutely livid about the possibility that swimming is to be moved out of FH.

Thery are keen to be involved with a campaign to support Option 2. One suggestion is a FH trader's petition to be sent to the Mayor.

Now is the time to bolster businesses locally. A swimming pool on the current site is essential for the health of FH.

KEEP SWIMMING IN FOREST HILL!

roz

04-03-2009 12:12 PM

I've also spoken to a number of businesses in Dartmouth Road who are livid that the building was listed in the first place, thus causing considerable problems and delays with the site development and hence the problem that we now face. I find it amazing to see that people who were supportive of the listing now so livid at any possibility of the pool being relocated. This is a direct consequence of that listing action. If you seek to put additional constraints on what is already a very difficult and challenging site then this, is , I'm afraid what happens.

The most constructive thing that people can do is actually to see if a challenge to the listing would have any mileage as this is the principal obstruction to keeping the pool on this site. I did think about it but personal circumstances prevented me from spending any time on this.

Unfortunately it is in fact the myriad and complexity of consultation that has also exacerbated this problem. If this was France, the local Mayor would have just got on with it and the pool would probably be open and everyone save the Face Off lot would be happy.

nasaroc

04-03-2009 02:13 PM

There isn't going to be a challenge to the listing of LH - and there never was. The listing could only be challenged by the owners (LBL) who indicated at the time that they had no wish to do so. The time allowed for such a challenge has now well and truly lapsed.

Let's stay in the present and not go over the past.

We are faced with two options - keep the pool in FH or move it to WW.

I believe that the vast majority of the local population want the pool to remain on its present site in Dartmouth Road.

Baboonery

04-03-2009 02:15 PM

Quite right, Roz.

I warned people at the time to be careful what they wished for. As ye sow...

SharonHall

04-03-2009 03:50 PM

Before the meeting on the 25th I think I briefly saw a more in depth feasibility study by Allies & Morrison which I can't now find on the Lewisham site. Did I imagine it, or was it removed from the Lewisham website after the meeting? Don't suppose anyone downloaded it and could mail it to me?

Perryman

04-03-2009 04:47 PM
GeoffLemons

04-03-2009 06:07 PM

Perryman - thanks for posting the full presentation link. I've just looked over the detailed plans for the first time and I have to say they really do look excellent; great use of the internal spaces, pleasant asthetics from all external viewpoints, and if the Horniman extension is anything to go by, a very skilled and competent set of architects.

The thought of losing the Pools from Forest Hill, especially in light of such a good proposal by A&M, really appals me. Now is definitely the time to collect as many signatures as possible (Dartmouth Road businesses, FH residents etc), and get local/national media onto the case as involved as possible.

Thanks to all the hardworking representatives of our community organisations for their efforts on this issue to date.

robin orton

04-03-2009 06:18 PM

<>

<>

Indeed. But someone's got to show how option 2 could, at this time, be afforded. Otherwise, we either abandon the idea of getting swimming back anywhere in FH (or in the SE26 bit of FH ward) for the foreseeable future ( = forever, probably) or, kicking and screaming, accept option 3. I know which I'd go for.

ForestGump

04-03-2009 08:38 PM

If the council only have ?9.5m, why not Option 2 with just that amount?

ForestGump

04-03-2009 08:43 PM

Or to put it another way why does ?11m-12m have to be spent on the pools, how all the schemes have a similar price?

Just 3 years ago, we were told there could be a new pool for just ?4.7m.

Contrary Mary

04-03-2009 09:44 PM

ForestGump says: "If the council only have ?9.5m, why not Option 2 with just that amount?"

Very. Good. Question.

Confused

I've probably just forgotten which page on which document it is on, so I'd be grateful to know:

Has anybody managed to find a reference in all the gumpf about what budget advice was given to the architects?

As in: Do we know whether the Option 2 or 3 architects were ever asked to produce sets of designs for ?9.5m?

Satchers

05-03-2009 02:48 AM

They didn't ever tell us if the architects were told of the budget or asked to work to one. But I suspect not.

The issue of affordability was given by the Mayor as one of the key reasons for the potential move of the pools to WW. But there is little difference between the two options in reality and it appears that it may be more of a political decision than one based on facts and reason......i.e. wanting to be able to say before next years election that Labour are delivering a new pool in 'Lewisham'.

- Not much good to the traders and town centre
- Not much good to the residents (of either FH or Syd - which could lose The Bridge in time)
- Not much good for the site which could remain as it is now for years

P.S. The listing of Louise House is a red herring, no matter how much some may still be troubled by it. It just meant that last summers options fell away then, rather than now, when no mixed use developers of leisure and housing in a falling market would have been found.....

michael

05-03-2009 09:38 AM

I few questions I posed on Sydenham forum in response to a posting by Councillor Chris Best:

Chris Best wrote:
The decision taken by Sir Steve Bullock are that a public consultation should be conducted on two options emerging and that the report and results should return to a future meeting of the Mayor and Cabinet for a final decision in the summer of 2009.

The two options to be consulted on are:

To postpone the project until 2012, at which point a decision can be made as to the allocation of additional resources from the Council?s capital programme. If sufficient additional resources are available at that time, and market conditions are appropriate, then a decision would be made to proceed with feasibility option 2, to be completed by 2015.

To proceed now with feasibility option 3 providing a new leisure centre on Willow Way, cross-subsidised by a housing development on the current pools site on Dartmouth Road. The leisure centre in this option could be completed by late 2011.

Does this mean there is definitely no possibility of option 2 being delivered before 2015 with a bit of creative thinking by people in the council?

I think a lot of local people will be disappointed if this is not an option in the consultation.

Has any analysis been done of the wider implications of the two options on local businesses and Forest Hill town centre? There is a strong argument that building a leisure centre on an employment area will result in significantly fewer jobs in Forest Hill town centre. While building live/work in Willow Way and a pool on the Dartmouth Road site, would result in higher levels of employment than any other option.

Finally, without the pool frontage being listed is there any protection for it in option 3 when the site is sold off to a developer?

gingernuts

05-03-2009 11:38 AM

I'm struggling to understand why WW is cheaper than FH and why we are being bullied into accepting the WW option. Redevelopment of the original site appears to be no option at all, as putting the project on hold to see if we can afford it later, is not an acceptable solution.

It's quite right to question why a cheaper option for FH cannot be put forward. Read my lips - we want is swimming in Forest Hill. Obviously an impossible task Ugh !!! Cursing

I am also concerned about what will happen to the original pools building if the plot is moved to WW. We could end up with the loss of the facade and some hideous council block of social housing anyway.

If the government are printing an extra ?100 billion this week why not throw some our way? Better still, sack the Treasury Minister that authorised Fred the Shred's ?700k a year pension and use his salary and perks to pay the extra needed for FH pools. He is clearly incompetent and a liability. What a waste of public money!

ForestGump

05-03-2009 11:42 AM

Is there a problem reducing the total budget to ?9.5m thus allowing an immediate start?

Re Option 3 will it be delayed until a buyer of Willow Way is found, and what's the situation if that site sells for less than expected?

ForestGump

05-03-2009 11:45 AM

Forget the previous post a load of nonesense re Willow Way.

I meant the Forest Hill site being developed for housing.

Satchers

05-03-2009 02:28 PM

Related to the Mayors recent decision being more political than based on fact and consideration I don't think the Mayor is worried whether the pools site is sold and what for at the moment. He only has to worry about that if re-elected!

All of the questions here are perfectly valid and do not appear to be being considered any further by the Council at the present time.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill Pools Cllr Sophie Davis 1 4,057 11-02-2019 02:08 PM
Last Post: StuartG
  Forest Hill Pools Documentary hillview 0 2,885 06-01-2019 10:14 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Thefts from Forest Hill Pools Gym Lockers Tina 4 6,516 14-09-2018 09:25 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Forest Hill Assembly - Saturday 11 March , 1.30 – 3.30 pm at The Forest Hill Pools Cllr Paul Upex 0 3,153 07-03-2017 11:02 AM
Last Post: Cllr Paul Upex
  Forest Hill Pools Slipper Baths localbigwig 0 3,438 23-02-2016 06:54 PM
Last Post: localbigwig
  Face lift of block before Forest Hill Pools Cheeky 3 7,492 23-06-2014 01:39 PM
Last Post: digime
  Save Forest Hill Pools alexis 62 66,055 24-03-2008 09:38 PM
Last Post: sydenhamcentral