SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Is the Barbican family friendly?
roz

05-05-2012 09:54 AM

We are hoping to go to the Barbican tomorrow for an exhibition and wondered how family friendly it was, having not been there for years and when we didnt have children. Anyone any views? The South Bank is fantastic for kids as theres plenty of space to run around but I get the impression the Barbie is a little more constrained. Their website isnt that helpful.Many thanks

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Isokon

05-05-2012 10:44 PM

I don't have children, but there are usualy a few families there when I go. There is lots of room and it is significantly quieter than the south bank. I think there a few area where there is a pond/lake with out a hand rail, so be vigilant.

boudicca21

06-05-2012 10:32 AM

It's really a massive council housing estate only posh. Near the venue there is a lake and seating area which is definitely used by families. Lots depends on how young/energetic your children are. If they really need to run off their energy then it might be best to make them race the walkways before you get to the venue. Mind you this will undoubtedly be frowned upon. Personally I don't think I'd take very young fidgetty children there.

BarCar

06-05-2012 03:42 PM

Plenty of room to run around on the Lakeside Terrace or in teh Conservatory on the 3rd floor.

roz

06-05-2012 05:49 PM

Thanks for the advice. I've decided to go to the exhibition on my own sometime and to check it out before taking the family there. I remember getting very lost in there once!

rmurraywest

06-05-2012 06:51 PM

If you do go, and take the kids, remember that the Museum of London is right in the Barbican too. It's very family-friendly (has recently been redone) and has a big cafe with children's options. And there's a lift, so no buggy issues.

BarCar

06-05-2012 06:54 PM

If you are going to Bauhaus then I'd recommend pre-booking tickets - there were very long queues today. We booked first thing this morning and walked straight in when we arrived.

roz

06-05-2012 08:23 PM

Thanks for the advice- we last went to the Museum of London some years ago pre kids and found it fantastically boring. If its changed for the better then thats great news- is it ok for 2.5 year olds and 5 year olds as well do you think? Might make a day of it if it is. The Museum of London Docklands is great for all the family, went there last summer.

Was the Bauhaus good BarCar? Thought of doing it sometime but might go one evening after work.

BarCar

06-05-2012 09:50 PM

The Bauhaus exhibition is very good. Some particularly nice Kandinsky & Klee pieces.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields