SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
average childcare cost in area
knh2a

02-05-2012 04:29 PM

I'm a newish resident in the area and am in the process of researching childcare for my baby. I'm wondering if you could give me an idea of the average weekly cost of childcare in the SE23 area? I'm also not from this country, so feel a bit at a disadvantage in terms of knowing what rates to look for.

Thank you.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
milliemop

02-05-2012 04:32 PM

Hi there - welcome to the area. If you go down the road of a childminder you will be looking at approx £45.00 per day per child. Childminders do not have a set charge and you will find that the price varies from minder to minder.

Please pm if you need any further help.

hoona

02-05-2012 04:57 PM

Private nurseries are between £50 and £60 a day. Most childminders charge at least £8 an hour.
Good luck in your search.

knh2a

14-05-2012 08:36 PM

Thank you to you both for the replies!

roz

15-05-2012 01:32 PM

I do think £45 for a childminder is a little low and depends how many hours you need. Nurseries tend to be cheaper per hour and do breakfast, lunch and tea if needed so they can prove extremely valuable from a convenience point of view. Dont forget that you can if eligible use childcare vouchers so that you pay prior to your tax deduction on your salary and if part time but in excess of 16 hours per week you might be eligible for Child Tax credit- childcare element which can be substantial if you are on a low income. It can all take ££££'s off your monthly bill. Which is worth having!

rmurraywest

15-05-2012 06:30 PM

I pay £45 a day for my daughter (childminder) and then £15 a day for her sister's school pick up. Roz is right about childcare vouchers -they are a lifesaver - and childminders accept them too!

sandybaby

15-05-2012 07:03 PM

Roz is £45 a day too low????????? If you work it out - £45 a day x 5 = £225 x 52 = £11,700 divided by 12 = £975 per month. It's a lot of money from your weekly/monthly pay cheque but I agree that £45 does seem a little low for a childminder to have full responsibility for a child for the best part 10 hours a day - but you have to look at both sides of the coin sometimes.

Childminders also provide breakfast, dinner and tea if required and mutually agreed and they also accept childcare vouchers.

roz

15-05-2012 08:04 PM

What I meant was I have never had that sort of figure quoted to me previously and now when I'm looking again. You would only get around 6 hours a day for that sort of sum and most people seem to want the full 8 or 9. 6 hours a day wouldnt be any good for us as we would need 9 as a minimum. I am looking for childcare for one day per week for two children and am being quited £60 a day even with discount and occasionally £65. After school care is £10 a session for about 2 1/2 hours. I would love to pay £45 a day! If anyone wants to charge me that please PM me!
Some local nurseries are now BTW charging upwards of £70 for a full day. Some however offer discounts if you dont need an early start, a late pickup or can bring in a packed lunch.

knh2a

15-05-2012 08:27 PM

Hi all,
Thanks again for your very useful feedback. My husband and I are going to take the nanny share route after some research. But it has been helpful to know what nurseries charge as well.

Best wishes,

K

sandybaby

16-05-2012 06:16 AM

Ah there you go - you are talking about two children. £45 would be for one child only. Childminders are limited to the number of children they can care for each day so can't really afford to offer discounts for siblings. And for one day a week only some minders charge even more - they may find it hard to fill the other four days.

I would say at £60 you were doing ok though.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields