SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »
Primary School allocations
GreenGrass

19-04-2012 06:22 PM

What are people's experiences of the primary school allocations this week?
What choice did you get if any?
Happy or cheesed off?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roz

19-04-2012 07:45 PM

It doesnt affect me this year however a friend who lives close by didnt get any of her 6 choices and has been offered a place about 3 miles away from their home which will prove extremely difficult to get to- its two bus rides away and a fair car ride but they have no idea how they would manage that with their other childcare arrangements. I find that extremely odd. She is appealing and is asking to be put on the waiting lists but things do seem to be worse this year than previously. It would be good to know the stats of applications and offers etc to see if they are way above what was predicted.

figbella

19-04-2012 08:42 PM

This was our experience. Didn't get any of the 6 schools we applied for and have been allocated Haseltine, which is miles away and didn't get a good OFSTED report at all.

We just seem to be in the middle of all the schools but not close enough to actually get into any of them and it is incredibly frustrating given that everyone else in our street and the surrounding streets seems to be sending their children to Stillness (which was our first choice).

The problem appears to be that almost 50% of the places were filled by siblings, which obviously shrinks the catchment area for the remaining places.

Does anyone have experience of waiting lists and realistically how many places come up before the new term starts? Also, how long would we remain on the waiting list? Would we need to reapply once the new term starts or would this list be valid until next year?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Deano

19-04-2012 10:37 PM

We live near Eliot Bank and so pretty much were guaranteed to get in. A couple of years ago, a friend who lived a little further away didn't get in and went on the waiting list in something like number 7th place. By the time the school year started the list had disappeared and she got a place. However, I know another family in Kent who were number 1 on the waiting list for ages. I would go on the list if I were you. It can't do any harm.

Londondrz

20-04-2012 06:10 AM

Very happy that our youngest will be joining her sister at the Horniman. I had visions of a mad borough wide dash to drop off in the mornings. Now I can walk both of the to school together.

Sherwood

20-04-2012 11:32 AM

That's why schools have a sibling policy.

DerbyHillTop

20-04-2012 12:20 PM

We are very happy that our little one got into Eliot Bank. I guess we live rather close by and they had 4 reception classes this year, as it was their turn to have a bulge year.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

20-04-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:
That's why schools have a sibling policy.

Quite right, but with a one-form entry school like Horniman, that has recently had a bulge year class, there was some concern that even those of us with kids at the school could possibly lose out. We we're worried about our daughter's sibling place as our son got in from the waiting list a couple of years back as we we're right on the edge of the 'catchment' area.

Without wanting to scare-monger, I'd be more concerned if I was hoping for a sibling place (or any place for that matter) at Horniman in the next 2 years as that is when any affect from the bulge class is more likely to be felt.

p.s. off the top of my head I reckon I can think of over 50% of September's reception year at Horniman who will be siblings of existing pupils.

This post was last modified: 20-04-2012 01:04 PM by IWereAbsolutelyFuming.

roz

20-04-2012 04:05 PM

I think the 50% sibling thing is pretty common- it s generally that level at Fairlawn. Not sure about the best approach as to
not have a sibling policy would make life untenable for parents and the kids- they'd never have time for anything and would probably have a lot of conflicting events. We have children both at school and nursery and it's bad enough; we were thinking of changing nurseries but decided the distance made managing journeys too difficult.

Sympathy to anyone who is left in limbo but places do arise so stick it out and be positive.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

20-04-2012 08:11 PM

Definitely a stressful time but, as people have said, there is a lot of movement on the waiting lists so make sure you are on the ones you want to be on.

(September's Horniman reception class is now rumoured to have 21 siblings within the 30(?) places.)

Swansong1

23-04-2012 10:53 AM

We are in exactly the same situation as Figbella....We were advised to complete all six choices as if we didn't our first and only child could be placed anywhere within Lewisham.

We haven't been given any of our choices of our local . Our first choice was a school which is 337 metres away from our home.
We have been offered Haseltine Primary which is 2.5 miles away!

I am crossing everything we get lucky before September comes.

I am feeling very worried and I am very disappointed.

ladywotlunches

23-04-2012 12:32 PM

I feel very sorry for those of you who have been given schools so far away, even after placing 6 choices. I'd always assumed people that happened to were those who chanced their luck putting the best schools down that they lived nowhere near, but that doesn't sound like the case.

Not that its any consolation on the distance, but I think Haseltine as a school is turning around for the better. It is now part of a federation with Fairlawn and Kilmorie, under the governance of an executive head who covers all three (or will do when the replacement is recruited since Mr Bosher left at Easter).

Foresthillboy

23-04-2012 01:15 PM

Now I remember the old days, and Im sure Brian will back me up, when you just went to your nearest school, yet the population of the UK was much smaller then, I do know of a family friend who had problems with their child getting into a secondary school, terrible, feel very sorry for all who are in this boat, yet what can be done to change it ?

Just going off subject and apologies, as anyone been watching the progs on BBC about the 1970,s - sheer bliss, oh does were the days, got my rose tinted glasses out

Sorry abou that

brian

24-04-2012 10:14 AM

Yes I remember the old days. Went to St Philip's Infant School on Well's Park Road. Building not there now.
There has been a major baby boom mainly due to immigration .
Not sure you can expect the council to have planned for this.

Sherwood

24-04-2012 11:01 AM

You went to the nearest primary school because there were no league tables to tempt parents to choose other schools. Also we had to walk to school!

pebble

25-04-2012 07:15 PM

As regards Haseltine, you can't really rely on previous Ofsted reports because the school has undergone significant changes in the past year. The new Head is from Fairlawn and she used to teach my child a few years ago and from what I know of her I think she is very capable of turning the school around. I do hope you get more local offers but please go and see Haseltine for yourself.

roz

25-04-2012 09:14 PM

If you mean the Fairlawn head of school I dont think she is having anything to do with Haseltine unless she has just got the Exec Head job- assuming she applied which I dont know either! But I agree she would be very capable etc.

Sherwood

26-04-2012 07:05 AM

I think she meant Jeanette, the Head of School. She has made a significant difference to Haseltine.

Go and look and judge for yourself.

kemurf

27-04-2012 05:25 PM

There is a similar thread on the EDF and a local councillor has been contributing to the thread, it seems very helpfully. Who are your local councillors? Can you contact them to help you? Or are any councillors reading this now and are able to contribute?
We got St Barts which was our first choice. Many friends' children got their preferred school of Eliot Bank as there are 2 bulge classes as somebody already said, making a whopping 120 4 and 5 year olds starting in September.
I read somewhere that the school places boom is due in 2015...maybe we are only seeing the beginning of it.

roz

28-04-2012 09:26 AM

I've heard that its worth making formal appeals as well as putting names down for other schools, and also getting together with other parents in the same situation. Also I think you can get travel arranged if a primary school is more than 2 miles away. Other tips might be to take the pressure off by not worrying too much about a September place and waiting instead for the schools you want. It might seem critical to start with everyone else but children cope and in the end its the long term situation thats best to aim for.

I suspect that it will all settle down and shake out but no doubt a few nerves will be shattered in the meantime.

What areas are most discussed on the ed forum? wonder if its the Heber/Goodrich area which coincides with the pressure cooker area around Fairlawn /Stillness?

Pages (4): « First [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Calling historians - Brockley Primary School chezbubbles 15 11,728 30-01-2016 07:11 AM
Last Post: AndyLawrence
  Prendergast Primary School - Ladywell Fields vnicholls 0 3,587 29-10-2014 09:41 AM
Last Post: vnicholls
  Primary School for Crystal Palace Park michael 1 4,478 15-10-2014 12:52 PM
Last Post: rshdunlop
  Primary School Advice LittlePickleHead 17 20,649 14-02-2013 07:49 AM
Last Post: Sherwood
  New primary school for Lewisham? fhmum 110 106,095 16-01-2012 10:59 AM
Last Post: pebble
  Primary school places roz 31 27,736 02-10-2010 08:23 PM
Last Post: Jane2
  Cost of Primary School Education. brian 14 12,387 29-09-2010 04:25 PM
Last Post: michael