SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next > Last »
Primary School allocations
rmurraywest

04-05-2012 10:44 AM

also worth remembering that some of those people will be on the waiting list for several schools, so the people ahead of you on both Stillness and Dalmain waiting lists may be the same people (if you see what I mean) and they'll only need one place. Sorry, I could probably have put that better.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roz

04-05-2012 01:34 PM

I also think its worth asking Lewisham whether they are planning any last minute bulge classes for this coming September. Some other boroughs are doing that now to cater for demand. I have again never heard of so many people not getting any of their first 6 choices unless of course those schools were far away and out of the question in the first place.

devsdev

06-05-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:
We live in Honor Oak and didn't get any of our 6 local choices of primary school for our son. We live 480m from Stillness and approx 530m from Dalmain. We were offered Adamsrill, which I hear is good, but is very hard to get to for us. We haven't got a car, so we'd need to take two buses, or the train and a long walk. We're on waiting lists and will appeal.

I was just wondering how it works - if you live so close to the two schools and your child didn't get in to either, does this mean there were just that many siblings and/or children who live closer to each of the schools? Or are places allocated on a first come-first served basis? We are moving to roughly the same area and though we won't be looking at schools for another few years (by which time I'm sure it'll be even crazier!) it would be useful to start understanding the system!

pebble

09-05-2012 07:31 PM

This may not be helpful for this year but will possibly be for those doing applications next year. A proposal and consultation has been made to open a new primary school with two-form entry in Crofton Park (at the Prendergast Ladywell Fields site). It should take some of the pressure off in that surrounding area ie. Stillness and Gordonbrock.

michael

10-05-2012 10:51 AM

Dalmain is planning a new nursery class and has applied for planning permission for a new classroom: http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/LEWIS-XSL...mkey=65724
I assume this won't be ready for this September, but for September 2013.

Satchers

10-05-2012 02:09 PM

This looks like a pre-fab classroom building (like the one at Horniman and Fairlawn amongst other places) and given Lewisham's programme elsewhere I would expect this to be in place by September 2012. Unfortunately their application doesn't seem to make this clear.

Satchers

10-05-2012 02:14 PM

Devsdev
Your first assumptions is right, if you live close to a school and still don't get a place it does mean that the places have been allocated to siblings or children that live closer than you do. Apart from some special cases for 'looked after' children (those in care) the two main criteria for allocation of community primary school places are are siblings and distance (as the crow flies), in that order.

I am not sure it is always the case now that places seem to be so tight but there does always seem to be a little movement on waiting lists and places and so it can be worth holding on. Lewisham should be able to advise on this.

Satchers

10-05-2012 02:19 PM

To those asking about waiting lists it can be useful to understand how much movement there could be from asking how many sibling places there are (which are unlikely to change) and the total number of places available.

For example your chances of getting a place if 5th on the waiting list for a school that has an intake of 30 and 15 of those are siblings is much lower than for a school that has an intake of 60 and 20 are siblings.

But in my experience there is quite a bit of movement up until the start of term and as someone else said, even sometimes after term has started.

Sherwood

10-05-2012 05:14 PM

There is often movement after the term has started.

I am not sure if all bulge class places have been allocated.

pebble

15-05-2012 09:51 PM

The plans for a new primary school in Ewhurst Road, on the Prendergast Ladywell Fields site is going ahead for 2013. That will offer 60 places.

Honor Oakey

13-06-2012 12:33 PM

We live in Honor Oak and didn't get any of our 6 choices either, nor did our neighbour. I know another family in the same boat not too far away in SE23, and we'd be happy to get together to sign a letter if you think that might help. I also know of two other families indirectly in Honor Oak in a similar position, so I'm sure I could get more signatures - there's clearly been a massive oversight. Please get in touch if you'd like to give it a try. I've heard from various sources that you only need 6 families to get together to push for a bulge class, but I have no idea whether this is actually the case in reality. I've put in our appeals and written to the local council (whose response I am awaiting). Our position on the waiting lists does not make great reading (amazingly, my neighbour is 4th on the waiting list for Fairlawn, whereas we are number 13th despite being only a few doors away and 434m from the school gates!). We have been offered a school miles away - not remotely relistic when we both work in central London and have a child in nursery in SE23. So it's a pretty traumatic and nail biting time. Meanwhile, our son is keen as mustard to know which school he is going to, bless him. I've told him we are in a que, but that he will go to a lovely school (I'm keeping my fingers crossed about that one!). Without wanting to be too despairing, it's going to be a pretty long and miserable summer!

figbella

13-06-2012 01:38 PM

Further to this discussion, we were offered a place at Gordonbrock last week. We were 8th on the waiting list a few days before the offer was sent so I don't really know how we were offered a place.

I suspect that a place was "found" at one of the schools we applied for by Lewisham to avoid the rigmarole of numerous appeals but clearly the anecdotal evidence of places coming up quickly is true so good luck to all those still waiting.

Sherwood

14-06-2012 07:48 AM

I think people do not inform Lewisham when they no longer need the place. Often this is only discovered in September when the pupils do not turn up on the first day of twerm.

sydenhamhiller

19-06-2012 02:59 PM

My children are at a local Forest Hill/ Sydenham school, and echo the point made above about lots of parents not always getting round to telling Lewisham they no longer require a place.

My children's Reception teacher gave one example where they turned up for a pre-Reception start 'home visit', and the parent opened the door and said "Oh, I've been meaning to call, he's not taking the place at your school any more, he's got in at X'. So a waste of time for the teacher that day, stress for parents on waiting list, who then all got to bump up a place...

So hang on in there, Reception 2012 parents...

roz

19-06-2012 11:29 PM

Second that one. Once your child's in school that's it and you will probably never look back. My child's class wasnt full and others left shortly afterwards. Personally if I didn't like the school offered I would hold back a term or two and stick it out. In the long term it should be worth it. Good luck and a decent summer to everyone.

kemurf

21-06-2012 05:38 PM

Honor Oakey, how are you getting on with your petition and response from the Council?

LittlePickleHead

04-07-2012 03:03 PM

I've been following this thread and I wondered how those that didn't get any of their first 6 choices had fared on the waiting list? Has there been a lot of movement?

We are due to apply for our daughter to start next year and I had no idea of the situation until I started looking into it a couple of months ago. I'm hoping you have all had good news as it will alleviate some of the worrying!

LittlePickleHead

04-07-2012 03:05 PM

Oh and in response to Roz, if you hold back for a term or two, are you able to stay on the waiting lists for the schools you missed out on or do you have to reapply?

roz

04-07-2012 09:29 PM

I don;t know, sorry.Parents used to have a choice about a September or January intake.I think there is still a right to choose but that should be checked out with Lewisham.

Swashbuckler

09-07-2012 06:28 PM

We have a relative and neighbours on the waiting list at Fairlawn (8th and 20th odd in the list). If you are going for an appeal and need some numbers to support, give us a shout (note relative just got moved from Hastletine to Kilmorie this week, so seems like there is some movement about!).

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Calling historians - Brockley Primary School chezbubbles 15 12,137 30-01-2016 08:11 AM
Last Post: AndyLawrence
  Prendergast Primary School - Ladywell Fields vnicholls 0 3,660 29-10-2014 10:41 AM
Last Post: vnicholls
  Primary School for Crystal Palace Park michael 1 4,579 15-10-2014 01:52 PM
Last Post: rshdunlop
  Primary School Advice LittlePickleHead 17 21,086 14-02-2013 08:49 AM
Last Post: Sherwood
  New primary school for Lewisham? fhmum 110 108,188 16-01-2012 11:59 AM
Last Post: pebble
  Primary school places roz 31 28,416 02-10-2010 09:23 PM
Last Post: Jane2
  Cost of Primary School Education. brian 14 12,674 29-09-2010 05:25 PM
Last Post: michael