SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Strange door call from a company called "Love Film"
orange

16-04-2012 10:34 AM

Hi,
I had a strange call at my door last week from a young guy, well dressed in a light brown suit. I opened the front door, thinking it was my husband coming home from work. As soon as I saw this guy, I asked him what he wanted. Without talking, he drew my attention to his shoulder bag. I asked him again what he wanted and he pointed again at the grey bag, which had a strip written on "Love Film". I immediately told him to go away. He was a bit annoyed and later I saw him walking around other houses.
Has anybody had these people around recently?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rshdunlop

16-04-2012 11:12 AM

It's a home-delivery DVD subscription company - one of the largest in the UK. I believe it is owned by Amazon. The US giant in this market, Netflix, is launching in the UK so I assume Lovefilm are trying to drum up subscriptions to firm up their share of the market.

If you google Lovefilm you will see what sort of company it is.

Doesn't sound as if your particular caller had worked out his patter!

This post was last modified: 16-04-2012 11:14 AM by rshdunlop.

milliemop

16-04-2012 11:14 AM

Had a young lady knock a few weeks back - told her I already subscribe and that was it she left. Think you got the weirdo by the sounds of it. Not sure why Love Film feel the need to knock on doors to advertise themselves...............................

orange

16-04-2012 11:34 AM

thank God I did not open the door. We had so many burglaries in this area recently. I don't understand why Amazon needs to send people around to subscribe. With Sky and all the other channels available, why someone should subscribe to this company?
Who has the time to watch so many films to wish to have another subscription on the top of all others?

lacb

16-04-2012 11:53 AM

Am not a LoveFilm subscriber, but did briefly give them a go on a free trial IIRC. This may make sense to some if you don't have Sky.

milliemop

16-04-2012 01:32 PM

we took advantage of the free trial subscription also - it was good but like "orange" mentioned "who has time to watch so many films??" we simply don't have time to sit and watch films - our sky plus box is way too full of programmesThumbsup

orange

16-04-2012 01:35 PM

Millie
I agree with you. my sky box is full of films recorded during the week, but I have to delete some because it gets too full and I haven't got so much time on my hands to watch them. There are so many companies trying to sell you the same service and after a while the films are always the same repeats.
However, are their reps going around fh to sell the service or are we having bogus callers?

rshdunlop

16-04-2012 01:44 PM

These are not bogus callers, as far as I'm aware. If you google it, you will see that Lovefilm do have such sales people. As I mentioned above, they have had little competition up until now, but Netflix is coming and is huge. Hence the sales drive.

It is, of course, different from using your Sky box. It's DVD rental, like we used to have with Blockbuster, etc, but done through the post. Which means you can order the films you want to see, not wait for them to come on Sky (if they ever do). Great if you are interested in classic movies, world cinema, art house movies etc, not just the latest Hollywood releases.

sydenhamcentral

17-04-2012 01:31 PM

Love film basically bought all the other companies that did the while mailed dvd by post thing. I welcome netflix to the market as they need some competition.

Aside form Lovefilm the only other company is Cinema Paradiso that has a more work film type offer. I hated Lovefilm at one point, everything I went with another company they would take them over and I'd be back to their awful service and sending me films that weren't on my list.

We are back with Love Film who have improved now that they are owned by Amazon. I'd rather chew through my arm than go with Sky.

lacb

17-04-2012 02:09 PM

Interesting update about LoveFilm there SyndenhamCentral - and have to say, agree with your Sky sentiments.

These days, have more films than we have time to watch mostly by recording FilmFour movies on PVR. Pretty much like Sky+ without the subscription.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields