SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Lewisham Market fortnight 28 April
Poppy9560

14-04-2012 03:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
orange

16-04-2012 10:01 AM

I always wondered why Forest Hill has not got a street market like Catford and Lewisham? why can't we have one of our own? Would the space behind the station be appropriate? or may be the triangle or any other good area? Perhaps the FHS can look into this and suggest a venue.

michael

16-04-2012 08:22 PM

Orange,
It is certainly something we have been thinking about. More than that we are having a St George's Day Food Fair this Sunday, 22nd April, outside the station.

Beyond this we are developing ideas for weekend markets in Forest Hill, not a quick or easy thing to achieve, but it is part of the medium term plan. The space behind the station is not ideal, but I think that the new approach to the pools and the area in front of Heron House would be large enough for a small market. But I am sure there are hundreds of reasons why this will be difficult to achieve.

Andy

17-04-2012 08:49 AM

There was a small farmers' market in the car park of the Dartmouth for a while. I think if more stallholders had shown an interest it could be have been a success, but it was so sparse that it held little appeal. I think that times have changed and a farmers' market could be quite a hit.

This post was last modified: 17-04-2012 08:50 AM by Andy.

orange

17-04-2012 08:57 AM

It seems to me that all the good areas have been occupied by car parks and Sainsburys. If they would close some car parks once a week for market, it would be great. Why has Sainsburys in FH all that car park space at the back? Is that their car park or the council's? If it belongs to the council, that space would be great if available once a week.

This post was last modified: 17-04-2012 08:58 AM by orange.

lacb

17-04-2012 10:12 AM

I think that the Sainsbury's car park is actually the Council's now. I know that Brockley Market is in a car park but it is at least visible from the road. This strikes me as a good feature for a successful market - to site it behind Sainsbury's seems a little hidden away to me.

Isn't there a bit of space in front of Sylvan Post? Also, there is a wide pavement down from the station at Honor Oak Park that I think would be suitable for a small market.

orange

17-04-2012 11:42 AM

well, Honor Oak is a bit far for me, I would prefer the one behind sainsbury for two reasons, a) is not so intrusive, b) availability of local organic produce against Sainsburys long time stored food.

lacb

17-04-2012 12:05 PM

Orange,

Am amazed that Honor Oak is a bit far, yes it is local to us but we regularly go much further afield than Sainsbury's in Forest Hill for shopping!

Am not in tune with the "not so intrusive" comment. If you want any stallholders to have customers then I would have thought that a market has to be just a little bit obvious that it is there.

Have some sympathy with your point b but I can imagine most sites one could think of in SE23 fulfilling that juxtaposition and, in any case, how could one assume that the market was organic in nature before it even has a site or suppliers?

sputnik

17-04-2012 01:27 PM

Orange, Sainsburys in FH has 'all that space at the back' because it is the only free car park in the area (for 2 hours.) I suspect that none of the local traders would be thrilled to find it closed for a day. I think Andy is right that the best site is at the rear of the Dartmouth. I remember the farmers market that was held there a few years ago and agree that it could be more successful now.

orange

18-04-2012 10:33 AM

Well, whatever area available, a street market would be welcome. I do my shopping in sainsburys or any other supermarket by car, but if there was a local market or few stalls available with fresh produce, I could do it on a daily basis, buying just the necessary for the day, instead of large quantities of vegetables and fruit which go rotten in in the fridge after few days.
Let's hope that we do get a market too in the future.

BobbyL

18-04-2012 11:11 AM

What about the unused green space opposite Dapper and Sugar Mountain on Dartmouth road? Its on a bit of a slope but seems a complete waste no has used it before, would also make a great little playground.

stefan

18-04-2012 12:07 PM

how about building an underpass and have space galore for any events above Smile

michael

18-04-2012 06:35 PM

FHSoc wrote:
This Sunday, the Forest Hill Society will be holding a Food Fair at Forest Hill station from 10am - 4pm.

There will be eight stalls selling Fresh Delicacies - Hot Food - English Cheeses, Pies & Tartlets - Handmade Scotch eggs - Award winning Chutneys - Caribbean Sauces and Spices - Artisan Bread - Delicious Cakes - Fresh Coffee from Fleisch - Hills & Parkes - The Egg Boss - BreadBread - The Forest Hill Cake Company - Mridula’s Kitchen - Pimento Hill - Franklins and On The Hoof.

The majority of the stall holders live locally and are trying the waters out here to see what demand is like. Please come along and show your support.

Once you have made your purchases, why not try one of our local restaurants? The Black Hummingbird, India Gate, Canvas & Cream, Sylvan Post, Question Bar, Dartmouth Tandoori and All Inn One are all running special taster dishes for £1 - £2. The Dartmouth Arms will also be offering free nibbles.

Finally, Sugar Mountain will be selling their sweets at the special rate of £1/100g

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields