SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
renting out your property for the olympics?
shimmysister

10-04-2012 02:23 PM

We're thinking of doing this. Has anyone been successful and been able to get a booking?

This post was last modified: 10-04-2012 02:23 PM by shimmysister.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shzl400

10-04-2012 07:03 PM

Colleague at work is doing this - they live in New Cross Gate, so benefit from really good transport links. They don't reckon they are going to make a huge amount of money, once all the fees etc. are paid, but still worthwhile. Lots of hoops to jump through, apparently e.g getting an energy performance certificate, notify mortgagee, insurance etc. They are doing it through an agent - had Foxtons in and mentoned another, but can't recall offhand. Agents reckon not a problem with demand for short lets, even outside Olympics.

shimmysister

11-04-2012 08:15 AM

thanks for the info. I feel hopeful, but also more aware of things I didn't realise I needed ike EPC's.

rshdunlop

11-04-2012 08:50 AM

It will probably only be worth it if you get a premium rent for the Olympics and your current mortgage payments (if any) are reasonably low. Remember that whatever you make is taxable, but you can usually deduct agent fees and some other costs.

We rented out our house for three years while living abroad and actually made a loss on it by the time we'd paid the mortgage.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields