SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Another bank/identify theft scam, quite clever
Jane_D

28-11-2012 07:34 PM

On Saturday my friend in Forest Hill got a call claiming to be from the 'fraud squad' at her bank, saying that someone was buying items on her debit card and having them delivered elsewhere. He urged her for her own peace of mind to ring her bank's main number and ask for a particular extension before he gave her more details. So she put down the phone, dialled her usual internet banking numbing, quoted the extension and went through all her security questions.

Then the man on the phone said she would have to hand over her card, and sent someone to collect it. She thought it slightly odd but agreed because she was sure she was speaking to her bank.

What she didn't know was that when she put the phone down and picked it up again, the fraudster was still connected (because he had rung her originally) and playing a recording of a dialling tone down the phone! So after she dialled, he just carried on talking and collected her mother's maiden number, date of birth and other useful information as well as her card. He then drew out £500.

Very simple but brilliant, in a horrible sort of way.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rshdunlop

28-11-2012 07:37 PM

This one has been going on for a while - heard it on the radio a few weeks ago. Very clever. I would have got suspicious when they sent someone to collect the card - the bank always just say to destroy a compromised card.

Jane_D

28-11-2012 07:40 PM

She did ask why they needed the card, and this guy said that they suspected it had gone through a particular type of copying machine which sometimes left marks, so they needed to examine it.

I'm glad there was a warning on the radio; I didn't hear it.

Londondrz

29-11-2012 11:38 AM

Also, a new one to me. Walking up past Sainsburys and a lady stopped me and showed me a mens wedding ring which she had "just picked up off the floor in front of me". She (in very broken english) said that if I gave her some money for food and a coke (she mentioned coke quite a lot, seemed quite keen on it) I could keep the ring. I suggested we go into Sainsburys and hand the ring in as it has been lost she gave me a filthy look and disappeared.

About five foot tall, black hair and gold teeth. It may well have been genuine but....

blushingsnail

29-11-2012 12:17 PM

I've known about the card scam for quite a while. I think it was on television recently too.

The 'found' gold-ring is a well known scam aimed at tourists in Paris (and possibly other cities). I'd read about it before a trip to Paris and almost laughed out loud when someone tried it with me. Just say no and walk on.

Londondrz

29-11-2012 01:41 PM

Given I could barely understand her it was not the best scam I have ever seen.

nottinghillbilly

29-11-2012 08:37 PM

I had a woman try the gold ring scam on me in the west end. she swooped down picked the ring off of the pavement like she'd just found it then held it to me asking "gold? gold?" whilst pointing to a 'hallmark' I nodded and then continued walking at which point she blocked my path and showed me that it didnt fit her finger, and saying "lucky, lucky you buy"
she was bloody annoying and followed me all the way to my place of work calling "lady lady, lucky...you buy". The woman in question was I think Romanian, but not sure.
There are so many people trying to scam money in the West End it can be an assault course just walking a few hundred yards.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields