SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Thai Supermarket
vipes

02-03-2008 09:50 PM

On the very perifery of our area but I wanted to raise awareness of the spectacularly well-stocked Thai supermarket by the Brockley Jack mini-roundabout. Doesn't look much from the outside but 4 or 5 times I've been in with extraordinary lists of far eastern recipe ingredients and each time they have had everything I needed. A branch - yes a branch - of curry leaves yesterday for a pound. They're struggling with the enormous rents though so I said I'd post to let people know.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ghis

02-03-2008 09:54 PM

oh good tip. We like cooking Thai. It is a bit a of a favourite in our house.

kingkong

03-03-2008 08:08 AM

I've seen this place before but not been in so I'll make sure I check it out.

KK

showtunesgirl

03-03-2008 11:22 AM

Yes I go there too. The lady who runs it is very friendly and where else are you going to get lovely bunches of lemongrass from?

If you want any advice on anything she is more than happy to help.

davyj1

06-03-2008 08:19 AM

Cool tip. Thank you. I'll go and take a look.

vipes

06-03-2008 08:53 AM

She knows her stuff doesn't she showtunesgirl. She said she wants to start doing take away but needs investment.

dita-on-tees

06-03-2008 09:16 AM

I went there last night - it is great and they are really helpful - I said this is what I am making and they pointed me in the right direction of the best things to use. The sell fresh lemongrass, holy and sweet basil, all manner of spice - cinnamon bark for a quid which is a bargain. They have all manner of wierd and wonderful things in the freezers - some look like dim sum - would be interested to know if anyone has tried any of these - whilst home made is great making a curry is one thing but pork buns is another!
This is a gem in the area.

ermsey1

06-03-2008 10:12 AM

I love Thai food - we used to use a really good Thai supermarket in Earlsfield when we lived there, where the owner would tell you exactly how to make whatever you were cooking and what to buy. This place sounds just the same, so I'm keen to pay a visit. Does anyone know what times its open? Specifically, is it open in the evenings at all?

acer

06-03-2008 11:33 AM

yes, it is open in the evenings... not sure how late, but I've been in there about 8ish before and its been open. They are really lovely in there - they even have sticky rice & the steamers to cook it in!

jon14

20-03-2008 10:43 AM

Thanks Vipes - brilliant tip - sometimes you look at recipes and think 'Well, I'm not going to get that, or that, or that..' - but in there it was if she had my recipe in advance and had put all the ingredients in nice little bags, ready for me...!

I have to say, I've never seen turmeric in its 'raw form' before - the lady gave me a bit for free.

The kilogram bag of prawns was excellent value compared to Sainsbury's too.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields