SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Forest Hill and Sydenham Portas Bid
michael

31-03-2012 06:10 PM

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKoDqF2uioI[/youtube]

We are bidding for funding to improve the town centres of Forest Hill and Sydenham and Kirkdale Village. Please support this bid by 'liking' the video and show that the community supports improving our town centres.

This post was last modified: 31-03-2012 06:10 PM by michael.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rshdunlop

01-04-2012 09:34 AM

I've just watched this - it is excellent.

I'm really impressed with the work of the whole team, and the idea of bringing Sydenham and Forest Hill together for the bid is brilliant.

shzl400

01-04-2012 12:08 PM

I'm disappointed that the focus is towards Sydenham and the South, while Honor Oak, just as badly in need of high street regeneration, has been ignored.

sydenhamcentral

01-04-2012 12:28 PM

They couldn't include every part of Lewisham in one bid, it would count against it. Surely it's up to the people in Honor Oak to do their own bid?

P1971

01-04-2012 05:58 PM

Could everyone that wants Forest Hill and Sydenham to win the Portas Pilot Bid like the youtube clip that Michael has posted.
Thank You

roz

01-04-2012 08:23 PM

I think someone should explain what a Portas Pilot bid actually is.
Its coming up to Easter and could be confused with Pontius Pilate.

There you go, I do read widely after all.

michael

01-04-2012 09:25 PM

shzl400,
you are right that Honor Oak could do with some investment (couldn't all high streets?), but this bid was for Town Centres, which includes Forest Hill and Sydenham, while Honor Oak is only regarded as a 'local parade' by Lewisham Council. There are about 8 town centres recognised by Lewisham and we are very pleased that Sydenham and Forest Hill were selected by Lewisham as their submission to the Portas bid.

Lessons that are learned in Forest Hill and Sydenham will be able to be applied to Honor Oak as well, even if there is not direct funding to make this happen. This is one of the reasons that I want the Forest Hill and Sydenham Neighbourhood Planning area to include Honor Oak as well. Cooperation between the town centres will benefit shops and residents in all the whole area.

nottinghillbilly

01-04-2012 09:49 PM

Excellent video-I gave it the thumbs up. Thumbsup
I think everyone who reads this forum should vote.
Honor oak is only down the road so please dont not vote because you live there rather than forest hill or sydenham. If one area benefits then it shall have a knock on effect on surrounding areas-it can only be a good thing.
One of the things I love about the area is the wealth of independent businesses which are also actually interesting. places like stag and bow,
canvas and cream, st davids, from the forest. etc etc
god forbid we ever get a starbucks or a pizza express.

P1971

01-04-2012 09:57 PM

Roz you can get more info on the Forest Hill Society website. Hope this helps.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

02-04-2012 06:58 AM

Nicely put together, hope we do well.

One pedant point though..."Kollier - In The Forest Cafe"?

michael

02-04-2012 09:04 AM

It would be good to get a few hundred more 'likes' on the video. Click on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKoDqF2uioI to watch the video and, if you like it, click on 'like' below the video.

hofhcb

02-04-2012 09:23 AM

Have pm'd you this morning.

Perryman

02-04-2012 09:34 AM

I like the idea of market stalls.
What are the possibilities of closing Dartmouth Rd on Saturdays, and having stalls all the way up to the library?

More for clothes, arts and crafts than food and drink, perhaps.

It would give a boost to the cafes and pubs; perhaps Havelock Wk could have regular exhibitions; Horniman's would no doubt cash in.

It would give the area a real buzz.

poolsneighbour

02-04-2012 10:09 AM

Nice idea, but closing Dartmouth Road would never happen.. it is a key bus corridor for 122, 176 and 197 - the 176 would be particularly problematic as it is one of TfL's bus priority routes - and they would not be even vaguely interested in diverting any of those routes.

However, what about the public space areas outside the Paddy Power/Sylvan Post and outside Heron House/job centre.. there could be opportunity there. Also, I think the landscaped boulevard along the front of the Dartmouth Estate (associated with the pools redevelopment) could provide a good opportunity for this, but i very much doubt it is wide enough to accommodate any market stalls.

seeformiles

02-04-2012 01:02 PM

We used to have an area for market stalls when I first moved into the area. There was a regular small farmer's market - I vaguely remember it being near where Century Yard is now, but I could be wrong.

shzl400

02-04-2012 05:39 PM

@Michael - thanks for pointing out the difference between a town centre and a local parade - I'd not realised there was a distinction.

michael

27-05-2012 11:10 AM

Unfortunately we were not successful this time in bidding for the Portas Pilot funding. We were up against stiff competition from around the country but we are looking forward to round two as we have already achieved much since submitting the bid (including the food market, revival of the Forest Hill Traders Association, and 2-3 new independent shops on Dartmouth Road).

You can read more about the activities relating to the bid at http://www.foresthillsociety.com/2012/05/knickers.html

admin
Administrator

05-07-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:
LONDON BOROUGH OF LEWISHAM
MEDIA RELEASE: 5 July 2012
MR104

Local groups apply for second round of Portas Pilot funding

A second bid has been submitted for Sydenham, Kirkdale and Forest Hill to win Portas Pilot Town status and a share of available regeneration funding. Last year retail guru Mary Portas was commissioned to carry out an independent review of Britain’s failing high streets. The government subsequently allocated a fund of £1.2m to 12 pilot towns to test the recommendations made in the review. Towns from across the UK were invited to bid for the funding, with the 12 successful bids being selected in May this year.

A second round of Town Teams are due to be selected at the end of July and this time there will be £1.5m in funding available for a total of 15 towns, in addition to £300,000 allocated by the GLA for 3 London towns.

The Town Team for Sydenham, Kirkdale and Forest Hill have worked hard over recent weeks sharpening their initial bid for submission by last Friday’s deadline. The bid was supported by Lewisham Council, which would take responsibility for managing the fund if the bid is successful.

Councillor Chris Best, Cabinet Member for Community Services, said: “We are very excited about this revised bid, which has brought people together to devise innovative ways of rejuvenating our high streets, including new street markets, start-up opportunities for new businesses and creative exhibitions. A lot of local people have worked really hard on this application and I hope their efforts will be rewarded with a successful bid.”

Ed Holloway of local architects Beep Studio, one of the members of the town team developing the bid, said: “We have used the time between the bids to evolve ideas that were put forward in the initial bid. I think the result is a much stronger bid which includes some exciting initiatives that we feel will be the catalyst for regeneration.

“We have taken a holistic approach in bringing the three high streets together in a cohesive way. We aim to create a string of destinations that are complementary, harnessing the distinct and unique character of their individual offers under a shared vision.”

The revised bid includes plans to create two community hubs in high street shops renovated for exhibitions, business workshops and creative community engagement; the letting of 12 vacant units to a mix of businesses and organisations as part of a large scale ‘pop-up’ project; and the initiation of a series of subsidised pilot markets with incentives for local traders across Sydenham, Kirkdale and Forest Hill.

The Town Team hopes to hear by the end of July if the bid has been successful.

michael

25-07-2012 06:04 AM

http://www.foresthillsociety.com/2012/07...nding.html

The second round bid has been successful. Great news for Forest Hill!

Cellar Door

25-07-2012 08:35 AM

Hearty congratulations to everyone involved in this successful bid.

I observe in this BBC article that more than 400 towns made applications and we were one of 15 areas that share in this latest scheme.

The amount of effort that has gone into the first and second round is much appreciated.

I particularly admire that although the first round bid wasn’t successful, the people behind the bid appear to have continued on undaunted and submitted this second bid that has come up trumps.

Excellent stuff!

Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Childminder needed in Forest Hill/Sydenham/E Dulwich pjw61 0 2,750 18-11-2015 12:51 PM
Last Post: pjw61
  After-school care Forest Hill/Sydenham borders sybb 0 2,617 28-07-2015 01:38 PM
Last Post: sybb
  Nanny 4 afternoons per week min 12 hours Sydenham/Forest Hill isa 0 3,010 03-02-2015 02:44 PM
Last Post: isa
  Childminder Needed Forest Hill/Sydenham Hamilly 0 3,464 29-05-2014 08:16 AM
Last Post: Hamilly
  Sydenham & Forest Hill Youth Forum Seek Part-Time Development Officer admin 0 3,977 20-03-2014 12:36 PM
Last Post: admin