SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 Next > Last »
Forest Hill and Sydenham Portas Bid
sharon

25-07-2012 03:33 PM

Great news ! Well done Forest Hill society Thumbsup

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rbmartin

25-07-2012 05:14 PM

Well done to my colleagues at FHS for a successful bid.

Anotherjohn

25-07-2012 08:08 PM

GREAT WORK!

I have no doubt that your efforts will be to the benefit of many of us so, to all of those who contributed, congratulations and thanks.

Tomcat

25-07-2012 09:18 PM

This is indeed excellent news. What now is the sequence - how will the bid success translate to change on the ground ?

Cheeky

26-07-2012 08:27 AM

Congratulations to all those involved in the winning of this funding and no doubt a huge thanks from all the residents of the area that will be benefitting from the fruits of your hard work, it really is fantastic news.

...and any love that can be thrown Honor Oak Parade way would be greatly appreciated Smile (although looking at the bid I fear we'll be left to fend for our little selves (we'll get through it though (one day we'll ge there (maybe (with any luck (hopefully))))))).

michael

26-07-2012 08:58 AM

Celebrations on the streets of Sydenham

News Shopper article: http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/983720...t_funding/

mrcee

26-07-2012 09:10 AM

Excellent news

jgdoherty

26-07-2012 10:03 AM

Congratulations to FHSoc on this significant success and particularly those who put such hard work into the submission.

Whilst I did not see the contents of the submission it clearly has merit and the benefits for Forest Hill and Sydenham should not be under-estimated.

However the report in the New Shopper that michael points us to has this para:

"Alongside the grant, provided by the Mayor of London, there will be £100,000 in matched funding from the nearby Bell Green development's second phase, and £15,000 from Lewisham Council."

The reference to matched funding from Bell Green Phase II could be of some concern. First of all - is the newspaper report accurate?

If it is and this funding is part of the original s106 monies secured by LB Lewisham, over recent years it has been very difficult to establish where this money was located and who was holding it and for what purpose. I have copies of the original agreement papers that once were freely available on the web.

Post #4 gives more detail here:

http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php...8#pid30778

It becomes a question of needs and priorities really.

Since the original Savacentre opened for trading and then extended its trading to a seven-day-week operation, traffic from the Savacentre location to Southend Lane, Sydenham Road, Perry Rise and Perry Hill have had to endure large volumes of traffic which have led to tailbacks, excessive noise and increased levels of pollution from what is frequently stationary traffic.

I believe it to be understood that the s106 monies were to be used for traffic improvements including bridge widening works in the road network around that entire area from the bridge at Southend Lane which is a choke point to the traffic lights at the end of Perry Rise.

Whilst we could guess that under-estimates in the projected costs of works may have played a part in the non-delivery of these essential works, residents and businesses have never been offered any explanation on the matter or how the money was disbursed or saved for that matter.

So if the report is accurate and the Bell Green monies are to be diverted to the High Street scheme, what body made the decision, what powers does that body have over its disbursement and with whom was any consultation undertaken.

Any diversion in the available monies for this very important road project would necessarily have to be accompanied by assurances as to how funding is to be provided for a commitment to a prioritised road improvement scheme.

As I said at the outset, for those in the area of Bell Green the need to execute the original traffic improvement measures has one of the highest priorities around - and this was attested to at the February Bellingham Ward Assembly. Real democracy at work.

rshdunlop

26-07-2012 10:45 AM

All interesting questions, jgd, and hopefully some answers will be forthcoming.

I'm not sure about the impact of the Savacentre on traffic flows. The traffic is only stationary at peak times, and that is caused by the bottleneck just before the railway bridge. This causes the traffic to be stationary all the way around the gyratory and the roads leading into it from both directions. Very little of the traffic (proportionally) is going in or out of the Savacentre. I know this because at peak times I use the Savacentre to cut through from the bottom of Perry Hill to Kangley Bridge Road. For every ten cars that go through those lights, maybe one at most goes to the Savacentre.

jgdoherty

26-07-2012 11:16 AM

Fairly well observed rshdunlop.

The impact on those of us who live within the impact zone of the traffic problem, it is noticeably different now compared with the time before Savacentre opened.

I agree that peak times are part of the main problem as I live just past the junction at Lescombe Road on Perry Hill. But what is not observable by non-residents is that traffic queues frequently form all the way past our house and not infrequently all the way back to The Perry Hill pub.

And not always at peak times, snarl ups can occur three to four times a day - and for Sundays, if we plan to use a car any time after 10:30 until 17:00 ish - we have to very carefully plan how to get away and then how to return home to avoid long delays.

Perry Rise is a nightmare - and rat-runners try to find shortcuts by running along Priestfield Road to re-join Perry Hill at Lescombe Road compounding the traffic flow problem.

china girl

26-07-2012 11:36 AM

Getting back to the main subject, I'd like to add my thanks and congratulations to all those involved in the bid, rounds one and two! (Great video, by the way.) Exciting times for Forest Hill - onwards and upwards!

FHSoc

27-07-2012 01:03 PM

Yesterday saw the first meeting of the Town Team (or more correctly, the bid team) since we heard news of our success.

The main item discussed was how to officially constitute the Town Team so that it can take over from Lewisham as the responsible body in the longer term.

We also discussed at length the importance of being transparent and spreading the news about what the Portas Pilot is intended to achieve and what it is not. We want as many people as possible to be involved, but we also have to manage expectations, so please be patient while the nitty gritty of name, website and communications is sorted out. We hope to get this sorted out in the next week or so.

In the meantime, please contact one of the following with any queries you may have:
email, Twitter account and Facebook details
Richard Hibbert, @FHSoc or on Facebook
Louise Brooks, @bakelondon, or on Facebook
Ed Holloway
Rebecca Leathlean, @AlhambraRebecca or on Facebook
Chris Best, @ChrisBestUK or on Facebook
Paul Gale

Regarding the matched funding, you will see that £100,000 was specifically allocated to Forest Hill and Sydenham town centres if you look at these minutes for the s106 agreement. This money becomes available in September when they break ground on Phase II of the development.

This post was last modified: 27-07-2012 01:08 PM by FHSoc.

nottinghillbilly

28-07-2012 03:30 PM

This is such great news!!! Forest Hill feels like a really exciting place to live right now.Thumbsup

jgdoherty

29-07-2012 01:21 PM

Following closer scrutiny it looks like my fox in terms of worries about the diversion of s106 monies from the bridge works has been well and truly shot.

I followed FHSoc’s link to the Strategic Planning Committee minutes from 14 July 2005 and it is very clear there that the Forest Hill and Sydenham Regeneration monies were referred to separately from the Southend Lane Bridge Works.

I then revisited my previous download of the s106 Agreement from the documents on the planning portal related to application DC/03/54844 . The agreement was signed on 29 June 2006 and for some reason the original download had sections omitted in it or had been redacted. A second download has secured a complete version with the full schedule.

The agreement also confirms that LB Lewisham secured the monies in separate parcels.

Additionally my assessment of the total value of secured monies was significantly under-estimated.

Several separate pockets of money are scheduled, amongst others:

An Accessibility Sum of eight hundred and fifty-three thousand six hundred pounds (£853,600)

The Southend Lane Bridge Works for works pursuant to the 1993 Agreement to widen and reconstruct the railway bridge at the western end of Southend Lane and to implement associated improvements to Southend Lane. in the sum of One Million One Hundred Thousand Pounds (£1,100,000)

The Perry Rise Safety Features Contribution, a sum of- forty-five thousand pounds (£45,000) for the installation of: a raised zebra crossing and a Speed Indicating Device

Road widening works contribution for works to widen and realign the north- and south-bound carriageways at Bell Green for an unspecified sum.

The Forest Hill and Sydenham Regeneration Sum for the sum of one hundred thousand pounds (£100,000).

So let me repeat what I said at the outset, congratulations to all involved in securing the High Street Regeneration monies.

My intrigue about the remainder of the monies is heightened – but only a little and perhaps it's wise not to be impatient as we have waited since 1993 for the delivery of road and bridge improvements whilst the High Street element has become deliverable in under six years.

kittenheels

06-08-2012 09:59 AM

Wonderful news - well done to all involved!

And if you can share a little bit of the spoils with Honor Oak Park parade, well that would be even *more* fabulous.

Belle

07-08-2012 02:40 PM

This is really great news. A massive well done to all involved.

I was really interested to see the high street work done in Leytonstone for the Olympics and it was amazing to see the difference some new signage and a lick of paint makes. I am sure it involved a lot of organisation (and money no doubt) but what a difference it made! I am sure the local people are so much prouder of their high street and it would not surprise me if that meant less litter and less vandalism generally.

I really hope this model can be applied in Forest Hill and particularly at the end of Perry Vale as you come out the station and walk down towards Waldram Park Crescent. The whole road really needs a face lift and it's only the ski shop, carpet shop and door place that make the road bearable. I am proud to live in Forest Hill but it's a little depressing to walk down this road twice a day!

Please please please can some money be used here![/u]

louise_brooks

15-08-2012 12:40 PM

Following the Portas Pilot funding win for Sydenham, Kirkdale and Forest Hill the bid team are holding an event at 7.30pm Thursday 23 August at the Horniman Museum & Gardens in the new Garden Pavilion. The aim of the event is to present details of the winning bid and to outline how the wider community can get involved.

The winning bid comprised three main elements:
?Jack and Jill?
Two high street shops (one in Sydenham, the other in Forest Hill) will be renovated for creative community engagement via exhibitions, showcasing local products, business workshops, pop up events and use as a Town Team base. They will be used to engender a sense of place and gather details of people's current shopping habits and their ambitions for the High Street.

The Shop Revolution?
A high impact project with lasting sustainable benefits, The Shop Revolution will introduce landlords and leaseholders to the concept of 'meanwhile' use – short term leases which keep the unit in use between tenants. Up to 12 vacant units will be refurbished and let to an eclectic mix of businesses and organisations on a pop up or trial basis giving new businesses the chance to test their business skills.

Market Makers?
More than a market, this will build on the lessons from Forest Hill Food Fair and the pilot community car boot sale in Girton Road car park to rotate the offer of similar markets between the three areas and encourage greater use of the public and private space. Existing traders will be encouraged expand onto their shop forecourt whilst the new market spaces will provide the opportunity to test demand for their offering and develop their business plan which may lead to a long term lease as part of The Shop Revolution.

There are a number of ways in which businesses and residents will be able to get involved including:
· joining the Town Team
· opening a market stall
· testing their business on the high street or promoting it with a pop-up shop
· hosting a workshop
· volunteering and learn new skills
· offering empty shop for ‘meanwhile use’
· helping to shape the high streets in Sydenham, Kirkdale and Forest Hill

The bid team, which includes councillors from both wards, Council officers and those leading the various initiatives, are currently sorting out the basics (such as governance, website and social media). Our first priority will be building a broader Town Team to deliver the pilot. If you would like to get involved or learn more please come along on 23 August. Updates and opportunities afforded by the Portas Pilot will also be discussed at future meetings of the Sydenham, Forest Hill and Perry Vale local assemblies.

A website has been created which is a work in progress at http://www.see3.co.uk. Please check for regular updates on progress. And if you’d like to talk to someone or learn more you can drop us an email at info@see3.co.uk.

penelopeelse

22-08-2012 12:40 PM

Come to the launch event tomorrow (Thurs 23rd) at Horniman Museum 7.30pm and get involved!

http://www.sydenhamtowncentre.com/2012/0...rd-august/

michael

24-08-2012 11:36 AM

What a fantastic turn out! At least 200 people (including our esteemed Admin) came to here about the way the Portas team will be looking to improve the high streets in Sydenham, Kirkdale, and Forest Hill over the next year.

It is great to see support for this type of initiative from the community and I hope that some of you will want to get more involved in improving Forest Hill town centre (and sharing ideas with Honor Oak as well). With a budget of over £200k, this is one of the best opportunities to make a positive change to the high streets in SE23 and SE26.

Please don't leave this to the usual suspects, they will get burnt out, and I know that everybody has something they can offer to the discussion and actions required to see our high streets transformed.
To get involved in any way please pass on your contact details and particular areas of interest to info@see3.co.uk

louise_brooks

29-08-2012 12:07 PM

Hi All

You can read a review of the event from East London Lines here:
http://www.eastlondonlines.co.uk/2012/0 ... evolution/

And our very own coverage here:
http://www.see3.co.uk/2012/08/launch-ev ... t-success/

If you missed the event we will be making the same presentation at the upcoming Sydenham Assembly, Sept 8th, at the Grove Centre on Jews Walk at 11.30. It will also be covered at the Forest Hill Assembly at the Horniman on October 8th and the Perry Vale Assembly on 23rd October.

There are two other meetings which I'd like to let you know about also, and they are:
- A meeting yesterday with Melissa Knight from the Sydenham and Forest Hill Youth Forum where we explored how we might involve young people in the various initiatives and pursue mentoring/intern opportunities.
- SEE3 Portas Pilot bid team members attended the Forest Hill traders meeting last week. We outlined the Portas Pilot winning bid at the meeting and discussed how it impacts on traders and how they can get involved.

Just so that you know, you can stay up to date on where we are with the Portas Pilot by taking a look at the website: http://www.see3.co.uk. You can also follow us on:
Twitter https://twitter.com/SEE3PortasPilot
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/WeareSEE3

And you can get in touch by dropping us an email at info@see3.co.uk.

Louise Brooks

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Childminder needed in Forest Hill/Sydenham/E Dulwich pjw61 0 2,806 18-11-2015 01:51 PM
Last Post: pjw61
  After-school care Forest Hill/Sydenham borders sybb 0 2,674 28-07-2015 02:38 PM
Last Post: sybb
  Nanny 4 afternoons per week min 12 hours Sydenham/Forest Hill isa 0 3,070 03-02-2015 03:44 PM
Last Post: isa
  Childminder Needed Forest Hill/Sydenham Hamilly 0 3,520 29-05-2014 09:16 AM
Last Post: Hamilly
  Sydenham & Forest Hill Youth Forum Seek Part-Time Development Officer admin 0 4,030 20-03-2014 01:36 PM
Last Post: admin