SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Freelance parents group
RachelM

04-03-2012 07:26 PM

Some friends and I are starting a new group for parents who are freelance/have their own business. The idea is for the children/babies to play while we chat/network/share tips/drink coffee! It's going to be at the Forresters pub just outside Forest Hill station, almost certainly on a Wednesday morning 10-11.30. There's an outdoor play area and a carpeted section with sofas so it's quite child-friendly. I'll bring a few books and toys along too (I have a 14 month old).
It's free and open to absolutely anyone so please PM me or just turn up if interested - first one set to be on 14 March.
Rachel

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RachelM

13-03-2012 07:31 PM

Hi all,

Just to let anyone who is coming along tomorrow know...

It turns out the Foresters Pub is closed in the mornings (except on Tuesdays) so we are going to meet in Canvas & Cream at 10am.

I've had quite a few replies on the East Dulwich Forum so there will be a few of us (hurrah).

Canvas and Cream isn't the ideal venue for little ones (nowhere to play) so we will be discussing possible alternative venues.

The regular day and time may change as well as several people can't seem to make Wednesdays.

Hope to see you there

Rachel

P1971

13-03-2012 08:21 PM

Hearne Tavern on Forest Hill Road might be a good venue as they have a good outside space for kids to play (weather is getting better now) and a consevatory so parents can watch and see the kids hope this helps

P1971

13-03-2012 08:28 PM

Are Canvas and Cream child friendly now

RachelM

13-03-2012 08:34 PM

Thank you for the Herne Tavern tip, will check it out (haven't been for years).

Canvas & Cream is child friendly in that they have highchairs and the people who run it are absolutely lovely, but it's not ideal as there isn't an area for babies to crawl around and play as there is in some pubs.

Hopefully we will come up with something tomorrow!

P1971

13-03-2012 08:37 PM

I think Canvas and Cream is a lovely place to eat and or drink and I would highly recommend it for adults. But not sure it is a place for kids. hope this helps x

P1971

13-03-2012 08:43 PM

There is a crawl around area in the conservatory at the Hearne x

samigirl70

14-03-2012 03:47 PM

I only saw this this afternoon - but would love to join. I have two children to bring (2yrs and 8 mths) so it must be very childfriendly to handle both of them and have a conversation - let me know the next venu!!

ps the Honor Oak Pub might be good as well - they already have a baby group on Wednesday though

RachelM

14-03-2012 04:27 PM

Next meeting is 1.30-3pm on Wednesday 21 March (ie next Wednesday).

It's at the Foresters Bar
http://www.allinnone.org.uk/

We decided to stick with the Foresters because it's ideal for children (has a playground and carpets, plus plenty of space) and switch the time to the afternoon.

I'm going to drop by there asap and ask if they'd be willing to open at 10.30 for us (they do this on Tues for the existing mum/baby group) but we may need to build up our numbers first.

But for now we're going to meet every Wednesday afternoon. Anyone who wants to chat about work and childcare issues is very welcome - you don't have to be already working freelance, or even necessarily considering it. Two women who came today were on maternity leave from full-time jobs.

Hope to see you next week! PM me for my mobile no. or any more details.

Rachel x

samigirl70

14-03-2012 04:40 PM

I might be able to come - mornings are better as both children nap at lunchtime, but they might sleep in the pram?? Hopefully see you next week. I am a freelancer and just coming off maternity leave now

RachelM

16-03-2012 12:21 PM

Great - will look forward to meeting you. I'm also hoping my daughter will fall asleep in the pushchair on the way there...

P1971, thank you for your input. I'm looking forward to visiting your shop when it opens!

Rachel

ForestHill Mum

17-03-2012 11:50 AM

Hi I would like to come to another one, but can't make next week. I'm self-employed in the area.
Drop me an email re the next one if that is easier- (kirstenjbrooks@gmail.com)

Thanks, Sounds fun. Kirsten

RachelM

19-03-2012 11:17 AM

Great - have added you to the mailing list. Hope to meet you soon!
Rachel

RachelM

26-03-2012 10:12 AM

Hi all,

We are next meeting this Wednesday (28 March) at 11am at the Foresters Bar. They have agreed to open an hour early this week.

This should give us an hour or so to chat and then anyone who wants to can stay for lunch.

The play area is brilliant and my daughter loved it last week.

Have switched back to mornings as it seems afternoons don't work for quite a few people.

All welcome, whether freelance, part time, on maternity leave or anything else - hope to see you on Wednesday!

Please PM me with your email address to be added to the mailing list.

Rachel

TND

26-03-2012 01:34 PM

Hi Rachel, I am freelance but I don't have any children...am I still allowed to join? Smile

Annie

RachelM

27-03-2012 07:40 AM

Hi Annie, of course, one of the reasons I started the group was because I wanted to meet up with other freelancers locally and be able to take my daughter along with me rather than pay for childcare, which makes networking very expensive! So you don't have to be a parent to attend. You are very welcome to come along - hope to meet you soon!

RachelM

30-03-2012 10:08 AM

The freelance parents group is now meeting regularly on Wednesdays at 11am at the Foresters Bar. Most of us stayed for lunch this week - the pub does a good, affordable menu (and a children's menu).

Please DM me for more info or to be added to the email mailing list.

Everyone is welcome and you don't have to have an established freelance business - maybe you are on maternity leave, or just thinking about it! Non-parents also welcome if you'd like to network with other freelancers in the area.

See you soon

Rachel

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields