SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Closest Catholic Church/ Languages??
imani

27-03-2012 08:37 PM

We now live close to Our lady and st philip neri school (next to Mayow park) and we are looking for the closest catholic church, there seem to be a lot but I have found that they are all c of E. Anybody here that would know the closest catholic ones to us? My second question is a bit of a long shot but I thought I might try and maybe I am also lucky. I have been told that some masses in the week have their prayers in different languages. Is there any around here where they have their prayers in Spanish? (any useful link to find out?) I have emailed a local catholic church but they didn't bothered replying. Thanks a lot in advance for any information.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robin orton

27-03-2012 11:08 PM

Welcome, Imani! You have a choice of three Catholic churches, which I guess are more or less the same distance from you: Our Lady and St Philip Neri in lower Sydenham (208 Sydenham Road, near Home Park); St William of York, Forest Hill (Brockley Park, just off Brockley Rise, near the S. Circular); the Resurrection of Our Lord, upper Sydenham (Kirkdale, on the corner of Sydenham Park), which is my church.

The only Catholic church I can find in the Southwark diocesan directory which has masses in Spanish is St George's Cathedral, in Lambeth Road (opposite the Imperial War Museum) which apparently has a mass in Spanish at 1.00 pm on Sundays.

imani

28-03-2012 09:05 PM

Thanks so much for the info, it is really useful. It is a pity that the Spanish mass is a bit far away, but at least I know now where our churches are. Thanks a lot.

FHSoc

02-04-2012 02:45 PM

All local churches that we know about are on our website directory.

You'll also find details about doctors, schools, sporting facilities, allotments, open spaces and local politicians there.

robin orton

02-04-2012 03:41 PM

Imami, having made further enquiries, I find that the Catholic church in Nunhead seems to have a mass in Spanish at 1.30 pm on Sundays. See http://www.stthomasnunhead.org.uk/

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields