SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next > Last »
New Lamp Posts/Street Lights
Les

12-10-2012 05:05 PM

The installation around the Tewkesbury Lodge estate seems to be going well - much better lighting. This might be a function of there being fewer big trees than other roads, and the old lights were poor.

On the subject of light pollution, from a purely astronomers perspective, the new lights are a problem, because the old single colour/wavelength lights were easy to filter out without losing starlight and wavelengths of interest. The new lights are better directed however.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lacb

12-10-2012 05:12 PM

Am concerned about the light pollution issue. Les, am I right in implying that, away from direct street light, then these new lamps should cause less light pollution and be better for star gazing?

WBD

12-11-2012 10:13 AM

Michael - with regard Skanska's admission that the lighting situation on Westbourne Drive was unsatisfactory are they going to resolve the matter?

The situation is very poor. In the evenings you cant see what underfoot and it doesnt feel safe especially near the small park area.

michael

12-11-2012 11:14 AM

Yes. The implication of unsatisfactory lighting is that they will return to improve the lighting situation on roads where it is not good enough. It is a shame they are allowed to switch off the old lampposts before such an assessment has taken place.

rshdunlop

12-11-2012 11:24 AM

Now I'm driving more in the dark than daylight, I have to say that Sunderland Road, which they are doing now, seems to be as bad as Church Rise.

ChrisR

12-11-2012 12:42 PM

Unfortunately it does seem as if Sunderland Road is going the same way as Church Rise and Westbourne Drive - not helped by the fact that some of the old lights are being switched off before all the new ones are switched on and working! I cannot see how the new layout of 5 lights on one side of the road followed by 5 on the other side is going to give a consistent light on both sides of the road, particulary the pavements which is my biggest concern but until we have the whole road finished and all the new lights working it can't be reported.

Snazy

12-11-2012 02:08 PM

I have to agree somewhat. The lighting on Sunderland travels a little better due to less trees obstructing the light, but I agree its not great. The 5+5 approach from what I see lights the road and one side of the pavement, leaving the other side in darkness. Im sure that the problem with a lot of the new lights is the spread of light.... its quite simply poor.

Its a shame really that a new system seems to be less efficient than the outgoing system. I certainly agree with Chris, the pavements on a lot of roads are truly shocking now, uneven and unlit, what a combination.

Priestfield / Queensfield Roads still remains my example of how these lights SHOULD be lighting up the roads and pavements. And I really cant see why there are such inconsistencies in it all.

Alice

12-11-2012 10:48 PM

I live in Sunderland Road and really like the new lights, I think they're a big improvement on the old ones, less obtrusive, nicer white rather than orange light and they light pavements oth sides of the road. As cars keep driving down having forgotten to turn their lights on I presume they're lighting the road pretty well too.

Snazy

13-11-2012 05:33 PM

Alice, which end are you at, the Perry Vale or Waldram? I have noticed that the Perry Vale end seems to be much more evenly distributed, and the lighting seems a little more effective.
The other end however with its one side, then the other approach seems a little more uneven. Due to the width of the road, the pavement on the side of the road without lights on remains almost unlit, then half way up it switches.

One thing that has amazed me is the distribution of light posts.
At the top of Church Rise at the junction of South Road, there are no less than 6 lights (most visible in pic below) 2 of which are no more than about 20ft apart.
However, to find the same count of streetlights on Church Rise you would have to travel the entire length of the road (either end to the top of the hill)

I dont understand how during a modern consultation, there can be such confusion about the layout and distribution of lights.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Alice

14-11-2012 12:53 AM

I'm at the Waldram end and I've found the new lighting fine, maybe it's because I grew up in the country but I'm enjoying not being dazzled with sodium lighting and I think it's quite adequate for cars and pedestrians. Our house happens to be on the side without any street lamps, just the ones opposite to light our pavement. For once I am really happy with the council Thumbsup

Sherwood

15-11-2012 10:01 AM

I like the new lights. i prefer the white light. The problem in my road is that the trees obscure the lamps. Perhaps locations should have been chosen taking the existing trees into account.

Also it does seem strange that all the lampposts are on one side of the road.

marianne

16-11-2012 12:26 AM

Skansa completed the work in my road yesterday (small road off Dartmouth Road) and I am really pleased with the result. Much brighter and feel safer. One lampost is directly outside my bedroom and it doesn't intrude at all.

Snazy

16-11-2012 11:49 AM

Sherwood, it seem the same throughout the area on any road with mature trees. All the lights seem to have been cosied up with trees and their canopies.
I realise that on roads such as Church Rise, with the number of trees there will always been some areas obscured, but the level at the moment is stupid.
Also on some roads where trees have been removed and all that remains is a poor attempt at patching the pavement, resulting in a mushy combo of earth and tarmac, they are a serious hazard, especially the ones in complete darkness.

It seems the smaller roads with few trees are a complete success, the larger roads, not such.

Alice, I would say the flatter part of Sunderland is not too bad at the Waldram end, but as the lights swap sides, suddenly darkness falls. Glad you are happy with it though Smile

ChrisR

16-11-2012 02:10 PM

The Waldram end of Sunderland is now better as the first of the middle 5 lamp posts on the right-hand side as you walk up is finally working. However although the white lights are better than the yellow ones the layout is certainly not enabling the pavement on the opposite side of the road to the lamp posts to get the same amount of light as the one on the same side.

Another thing I have seen and heard in the last couple of weeks is an increase in the number of cars hitting the road humps at speed after dark. When the road humps were created it seems they were located by a street light presumably to illuminate them. With the new layout this is no longer the case, and it would appear they are now not as visible to drivers!

Snazy

16-11-2012 02:30 PM

My point exactly Chris, the side with the lights gets an illuminated pavement, the side without doesnt. And with it being 4-5 lights on one side at a time, the options are to cross, or walk carefully.

Not well thought out at all. Thumbdown

AMFM

16-11-2012 04:21 PM

We're on Siddons Road and I find the street much darker now than before - the street light is on the opposit side of the road to our house so maybe that's why but I can't say it feels like an improvement at all.

ladywotlunches

28-11-2012 02:19 PM

How's this for a complete waste of time and money?

Today someone came along to the new lamppost outside my house, chopped about a metre off the top, then reinstalled the light. Apparently "the client" has changed the brief and all existing lights are now too tall and need to be lowered.

Don't know whether this is due to the lack of light, trees in the way or something else, but it seems a bit late to be changing the brief this far in to a project, with public money!

Snazy

29-11-2012 01:24 PM

Where abouts was this?
Is this meant to be a response to the complaints of the poor lighting given out by them, did they say.

Its is a joke how its all been done though.

There is a lampost at the top of South Road and Church Rise, which was installed but looks surplus. I am interested to see if it is ever lit, or just simply removed.

One thing taking height off the lights will do is lower them out of the canopies of the trees. But I agree, what a waste of time. Lets hope the contractor is assuming responsibility for the costing of this.

ladywotlunches

29-11-2012 09:05 PM

No other info given, just that "the client" had changed the brief. Don't know whether that is the council, or Skanska, and for what reason.

This was on Canonbie Road

Snazy

30-11-2012 03:06 PM

Thanks for that, I shall watch out and see what changes they make to the other areas which are currently rubbish lol

Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields