SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Who are the bad people?
Toffeejim

17-03-2008 11:26 PM

Who are the bad people and what can be done to change what they do? What can be done specifically by individuals (me) or communities working in concert (us) to undermine them?

By bad I don?t mean those who carry out criminal acts. I?ll leave those to the police. Rather I?m trying to compile a list in my own mind of those within the local sphere, even if they night be a national or international concern, who are doing things that are wrong ? that cause harm ? and to answer in my own mind whether there is anything that I or we can do to stop them behaving in that way. To share ideas that can help to bring pressure to bear in rational and effective ways.

So who do you think are the bad people? What do you think that we as a community can do to say ?Your behaviour?s unacceptable to us. We want you to change it?. And, in particular, what can we do that might actually have an effect?

A few eclectic examples of my own concerns:

The widespread availability of meat that comes from animals that have not been raised with an acceptable level of humanity.

Oil companies that have often behaved deeply unethically to bring us the product they sell to us locally.

Supermarkets trying to distract our attention with initiatives on plastic bags when the real problem is the enormous amount of excess packaging housing their products.

Advertising (and by this I mean 99% of all advertising) cheapening our culture and values and visually polluting our surroundings.

I realise that this thread is of course a generalist and quite probably woolly piece of nonsense. But if any fellow citizens should wish to share their thoughts I would be very interested to hear them.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bigbadwolf

17-03-2008 11:48 PM

I have a serious problem with the T.V companies who pollute society with programs such as Jeremy Kyle and any other mundane talk show that aims to address people and the publics problems where in fact they do no good what so ever. Totally agree with the supermarket packaging scandal but if they're left to their own devices they'll start selling these re-enforce plastic bags like you get at IKEA with get chucked as well.

roz

18-03-2008 05:29 PM

The Bush Administration and US Foreign Policy past and present for a series of global and environmental offences including wrongful invasion and wilful destructrion of foreign countries for personal gain.. . and also most of everything thats wrong with the world.

And perhaps just plain old capitalism.....

Baboonery

18-03-2008 06:22 PM

Churches*
Southern
Self-appointed guardians of the public conscience who feel able to pontificate about who 'bad guys' are.

* and their equivalents

bigjulie

18-03-2008 11:24 PM

People who let their dog mess on the pavement without clearing it up.

Drivers who ignore pedestrians on zebra crossings. Drivers who park in pedestrian space.

thenutfield

18-03-2008 11:25 PM

according to se23.commers, it's

people who sell the Big Issue
beggars - especially those that have the cheek to be disabled
people who take their kids into pubs
local traders that try to promote themselves by distributing menus door to door
anyone from SE22
WH Smith (that ones from me!)

Have i forgotten any?

bigjulie

18-03-2008 11:28 PM

how about people who want to knock down swimming pools?

MissD

03-04-2008 02:33 PM

I really find it Thumbdown when I see a pregnant woman that smokes...Sneaky

ohyeahkitten

04-04-2008 02:16 PM

People who spit at Forest Hill station.

Ooperlooper

07-04-2008 10:58 PM

We could all report graffiti, fly posting, etc immediately to the council. It only takes a few minutes to report an issue and they usually clean it up within about 24-48 hours. If we all reported these issues immediately I reckon many of the perpetrators would soon lose interest.

http://www.lovelewisham.org/recycling/fo...spx?item=4

And we could all politely but assertively speak up, and back each other up, as soon as anyone starts playing music out loud on a buses or trains. If you're too afraid to speak up first (which I can understand for some people) then at least try to back up other passengers who they do complain. If lots of passengers all ask the person to switch the music off, at least they will probably feel a bit embarrassed and think twice about doing on their next bus ride.

sydenhamcentral

19-04-2008 12:18 PM

Toffeejim wrote:
Supermarkets trying to distract our attention with initiatives on plastic bags when the real problem is the enormous amount of excess packaging housing their products.

If supermarkets could use less packaging they would. It all comes down to cost, how much they charge you, whether the product will reach its destination in good condition etc. Less packaging is generally cheaper. Packaging in cardboard and environmentally friendly, compostable and recyclable packaging is better too. Choose paper/card over plastic if you can.

blueyes

24-04-2008 09:27 AM

It's amazing to think none of died from having our produce loose in paper bags mostly or paper wrapping years ago.

I used to go to a market and get all my fruit and veg and it was just tipped into my shopping trolley by the stall holder and I sorted it out at home or just kept it in the trolley all week as it was a nice dark place to keep potatoes fresh etc. You took your egg carton back over and over and got new eggs put in it - no sell by dates then - I still do this and get free range eggs locally and recycle egg boxes that way - most shopping was put into cardboard boxes - which supermarkets don't seem to have out any more- which you then reused or recycled.

You know when you are near a Sainsburys as there is a trail of orange bags in the area - I shop in Aldi a lot in Selsdon as there isn't a plastic bag in sight and a lot of the produce is made in this country. And I spend a lot less generally in there as there aren't tempting plate sets or DVDs I really don't need or plastic garden ornaments.Cursing

NewForester

24-04-2008 10:23 AM

This Newsnight article with Justin King (Sainsbury's CEO) addresses the issue of plastic bags and packaging and points out that the issue has many facets.

However, I feel that we are getting the message wrong. People feel good these days if they recycle (destroy and remanufacture), whereas the emphasis should be on reusing; there is nothing wrong with the punnets that our meat, fruit and veg come in. If the supermarkets standardised on the trays they used, they could collect and reuse them in much the same way as Lemonade and milk bottles of old were. Unfortunately, I suspect that Health and Safety tsars would stop this...

sydenhamcentral

28-04-2008 12:41 PM

^^^true.

Recycling only prolongs the demise of the product. You cant recycle the same product forever (it's about 6 times). The best thing is to reuse. Recycling comes second, Sustainably sourced is third and the worst thing we can do is to not give a stuff.

M&S lead the way in recycled packaging and uses of corn starch instead of plastics and biodegradable materials.

I'm surpised Aldi source vegetables locally. I thought Aldi sold lots of plastic gnomes and garden stuff alongside their fruit and veg. I was impressed by the new Sainsbury's in Bell Green at the weekend. It seems fully up and running now. Being a big advocate of Fairtrade I like the fact that they only sell Fairtrade bananas.

michael

28-04-2008 01:08 PM

sydenhamcentral wrote:
Being a big advocate of Fairtrade I like the fact that they only sell Fairtrade bananas.

And their own-brand sugar is Fairtrade Thumbsup

grahamw

02-05-2008 11:36 AM

The bad people are the idiots who broke into One Tree Hill allotments last week and broke into and vandalised 14 sheds.Angry

electriclife786

17-05-2008 12:55 PM

People who don't clean their dog poop in the middle of school busy road,
Blair's masters that are still running the country,
corporations that in the name of profit and their god the Pound manipulate our leaders into making as much profit no matter what(as long the fine not more than the profit made).
Industrial pollution
The method used to force us recycling by the stick and fines instead of using old reimbursement system (like coca cola glass bottles I used to collect as a child making some pocket money, I can see all the kids participating a lot more in retrieving plastic and paper in households making it a lot more fun and rewarding in many accounts)

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields