SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
HOP parade: are all the changes good?
lillam

08-03-2012 07:08 PM

Jsut a word about chainstores - I went down Lordship Lane last week and the whole length of that road there are no chains apart from estate agents and the Co-Op. Church St in Stokey also takes pride in the fact that it is chain free. I never really thought about it before, but HOP is chain free, and long may it stay that way.

The evening standard ran something on how small shops are closing at an alarming rate on the Kings Road of all places, as once chains move in the rents go higher and only other chains can afford. Kings Rd is now any (upmarket) highstreet in the UK.

One Sainsburys local may not do that on its own, but it is the thin end of the wedge, and my instinct is to be very wary. At least the Budgens up in Crofton Park seems to be run as a franchise, with the original shopkeeper (Jay?) continuing to run it as a family store. Hes been there for years. That is a model Im much happier supporting.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: HOP parade: are all the changes good? - lillam - 08-03-2012 07:08 PM