SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
HOP parade: are all the changes good?
lacb

08-03-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:
What mystifies me about the opposition to Sainsbury's is what opponents think will open up in those units instead? Personally I think it would be a great addition to the street and we should be really pleased if a decent national retailer is interested. Good independent shops, like Hills and Parkes, have nothing to fear because they offer something very different.

Couldn't have phrased it better.

To add a personal perspective on this:
I don't actually like Sainsburys. We get meat, fish and veg from independent retailers and I rather grudgingly use the one in Forest Hill for other items. Virtually none of which are available in the current shops on HOP. So the nett affect for us would be to keep more of our shopping local, save time & give an added incentive to pop in another local shop and buy something. Everybody wins except the manager at Sainsburys Forest Hill.

Some businesses will probably need to diversify - if the Honor Oak Supermarket, for instance, were to stock fresh veg and dry goods á la SMB in Lordship Lane, I reckon that would work brilliantly with or without a Sainsburys, but especially with one.

It is sad to see White Wood go. I do hope a good business can start there soon. At this rate of closure, maybe even Sainsburys will get cold feet.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: HOP parade: are all the changes good? - lacb - 08-03-2012 05:13 PM