SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next > Last »
HOP parade: are all the changes good?
Calm1

05-03-2012 01:45 PM

The landlords have not even started marketing the property as they had hoped that the tenants would be able to make the arrangements to bring the account in to order and continue trading.
Empty shops are of no benefit to anybody. All ideas will be considered!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hopper

05-03-2012 05:40 PM

I hope it is the case that the various HOP shop landlords (I thought one person owned it all) do want to make the parade work. I would be sad to see any more shops turned into houses.

Tinkerbell

05-03-2012 06:44 PM

Calm1 - thank you, appreciated that you've clarified this, and good to hear that they are actively trying to find a new tenant for the shop.

Still, such a shame - I presume another casualty of the economic crisis. The tenants of the White Wood Shop had done a lovely job at doing up the shop and stables, it was a pleasure to walk past every time (and go in). I wish them all the best in finding another shop!

Anotherjohn

05-03-2012 07:33 PM

Thank you Calm1, you have confirmed what I suspected.

It is enlightening, at long last, that someone has entered the forum and exploded the myth that all of the shopkeepers are being down-trodden by the wicked Landlords of Honor Oak Park.

Of course one can sympathise with the White Wood Shop's failure but it is reassuring to hear that the Landlord had tried and persevered with the tenant before what must have ultimately been a merciful release for them (tenant).

It's a fantastic property, which I've admired since I was a boy, and I hope it can become home for a business which will be some sort of hub for all of the local community - which is what its dominant position deserves.

Calm1

06-03-2012 08:40 PM

Apparently the public meeting is yet to be scheduled and is definitely not next Monday. It should be interesting as there are apparently ninety objectors now due to the efforts of local shopkeepers. Hopefully those in support will be as vocal and organized! I will post if I hear any more news.

lillam

06-03-2012 09:32 PM

Very sad that Whitewood shut...they built that shop up from nothing...great to see it grow over the years. I'm sure they wouldn't have left that spot unless they were forced out...they put so much into doing up that property.

Ive had it up to here with landlords - never mind a generation of people not able to get on the housing ladder, even renting is unfordable for anyone on a modest/low income.

wayfarer

07-03-2012 09:02 AM

Calm1,

When the meeting is scheduled, may I ask that it is flagged in a new thread. It would be a great shame for something as important as this to be lost amongst general discussions.

Admin, with so much going on may I propose that a calendar is added to the site. This would enable all interested parties to keep tabs on what is coming up including meetings, events and promotions.

hoona

07-03-2012 09:44 AM

What? 90 objectors? I was against a Domino's as I hated the idea of what was essentially a phone business...
BUT I also hate the idea of all these empty shops on the parade. It's not as if people are clamouring to open up in HOP. Much as I'd love a greengrocers, butchers, lovely pub/restaurant and the White Wood shop still in existence, I'm afraid we all need to start being realistic...

michael

07-03-2012 10:38 AM

On a more positive note, Tea Dance for Little People is apparently relocating from Brockley to Honor Oak in the next few months. I'm not sure if they have a site in mind yet, but it is a great business that will bring more people (young children with their mummies or daddies) into Honor Oak.

Calm1

07-03-2012 10:53 AM

It would be disappointing if the local shopkeepers could not find ninety 'loyal' customers between them and it is these very people who would be expected to continue to support their local outlets (although I have my doubts that they would never set foot in a bright, new, well-stocked competitor). It simply does not make sense to me that these people should feel that they can dictate to the vast majority of shoppers as to their shopping options or preferences in a world where competition and choice is a good thing for the consumer and empty shops simply sour a very attractive parade.
These shops have been empty for some time and there is no suggestion that the butcher, baker or candlestickmaker are being turned away. They are simply not interested.
I would be most interested to see the numbers for and against on here and suggest a simple yes or no without dialogue would be enlightening. How about it?

wayfarer

07-03-2012 10:56 AM

Sainsburys to take over proposed site: For

poolsneighbour

07-03-2012 10:59 AM

Sainsburys to take over proposed site: For

Calm1

07-03-2012 11:03 AM

Sorry forgot to mention fifty objections came in in one day. Strange!

Tinkerbell

07-03-2012 11:05 AM

May I suggest that you set up an online poll and post a link here?
(I was not an objector, btw)

Michael - that is good news, I'm pretty sure they'll find the right demographics in HOP. And the yummie mummies can now do a proper buggie crawl!

Cheeky

07-03-2012 11:46 AM

It's because one of the 4 newsagents (or maybe all) were handing out fliers and collecting names and addresses of their customers. Fair enough though as they are looking after themselves as I would in that situation. They're not looking out for the masses though, not in my opinion.

Last time I looked, Hills & Parks still had that completely over the top anti Saino's possibly liable poster on their pin board. Shame on them if you ask me (and also strange at the same time that they're anti it). I have found it hard to buy anything I want in there on more than one occassion to be honest. Always tend to walk out with a loaf of bread as I feel embarressed to walk out with nothing.

I'll put my For vote in if you hadn't already guessed, i'm done with having a highstreet that seems to want to live in the dark ages (all interesting decent outlets notwithstanding).

poolsneighbour

07-03-2012 12:09 PM

I find it shocking how residents/people who have businesses in the area are SO anti change..its very short sighted and really doesn't consider how HOP parade is going to be a viable High Street..as Cheeky said, its looking after their own interests (do you need 4 newsagents on one stretch of road? Not including those on Brockley Rise etc) - not the masses who actually would really like a Sainsbury's there. Cant believe it has become another Domino's 'outrage' ...

wayfarer

07-03-2012 12:18 PM

If I had a business on the high street, I would be doing everything I could to ensure its existence. This would include giving out flyers (advertising my products/services), providing a better service than my competitors (local or otherwise), and delivering a product / service that is actually required at a price that my potential customers are willing to pay.

In short, I would take a more positive approach and give my customers reasons to support me rather negatively campaigning against a potential rival.

That said, I would have every right to raise my objections to any proposal not only as a local resident but as a local business to the appropriate authorities.

Tinkerbell

07-03-2012 12:46 PM

We have 4 newsagents? Which 4 are those? BTW I don't think HOP residents are anti change. What would be short sighted, is to agree to change that would potentially have irreversible effects on HOP parade without first hearing all the pros and cons. So yes, if the meeting happens, it's a great idea.

Some of us do actually use HOP parade because we live nearby. Others live far away and don't use it, yet seem to have strong opinions on it. Quite interesting. Anyway, I'm off to get my lunch. And yes, I can find things in Hills & Parks. Tasty things. As do apparently quite a few others...

poolsneighbour

07-03-2012 01:30 PM

Good if you got the dough to shop there! ;-)

wayfarer

07-03-2012 01:31 PM

If I had the dough, i could make my own bread Laugh

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields