SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
HOP parade: are all the changes good?
hoppit

04-03-2012 10:26 PM

How many Sainsburys do I need? Currently I can drive to a superstore in Sydenham, New Cross Gate or Dog Kennel Hill or I can pop down to Forest Hill or lewisham. I could also have them come to my door with internet shopping.

This does not take into account all the other little supermarkets within walking or short driving distance including Budgens, Co-op, Tesco, Lidl.

I personally do not subscribe to the increased footfall theory. Are people avoiding using the HOP train station for their commute cause there is no Sainsburys? Perhaps they prefer to get their via the side streets like Riseldine Rd as they are scared of showing their face on the main road?

If Sainsburys move in then people use that to buy all the last minute impulse stuff they may get from current shops. Once they go in and buy X and Y they will not be popping into another shop to get a bottle of Z from one of the old shops. Those shops have tight margins and depend on that impulse/discretionary spending. Its almost like crumbs from the table. Now Sainsburys want to hoover up that for their shareholders as well.

I image there will be a lot of guilty looking people sheepishly walking past the old shops with their sainsburys carrier bags. Don't worry you wont have to feel guilty for too long as they wont be there for too long!

Alternatively you could skulk down Riseldine again. There goes the footfall!

By the way the Monday morning ticket queues at the train station never ceasce to amaze me. "Why don't they go to the nearest shop 2 mins away on the parade for their oysters like I do" I think as I sail on through.

This post was last modified: 04-03-2012 10:29 PM by hoppit.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: HOP parade: are all the changes good? - hoppit - 04-03-2012 10:26 PM