SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Bell Green Sainsbury's
Elizabeth25

09-04-2008 02:32 PM

OK--I thought I would start this one. Since I use the Bell Green Sainsbury's (almost) more than the FH Sainsbury's (and I am assuming a fair amount of FH residents do as well...

What does everyone think of the new refurbishment?

I know it is not completely done yet. But I can see where it is headed. I for one think that made the right decision widening the lanes, and allowing more room to manoeuvre. The old store had a fair amount of trolley-rage when it got crowded.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snazy

09-04-2008 03:05 PM

Definatly a change for the better, but poor the way they chose to do it. Numerous incidents in there with customers vrs builders/building.

The rest of the site when developed should give locals to SE23 ans 26 a good range of the bigger companies to buy from, and a far better range of shops Smile

shzl400

09-04-2008 03:14 PM

I'm reserving judgement until it's completed. The vegetable section at the moment is a total nightmare, but I gather they intend to move it to the front.

The one thing that really drives me nuts is that they closed off the shortcut between the clothes and the toiletries (and thus the rest of the store). I hope that it will be possible, with the new layout, to shop for food, without having to walk half a mile through clothes. I know what they're trying to do, but sometimes if I'm just diving in for one or two items, it's a real pain and I nip through the tills the wrong way in order to avoid the detour.

As it goes, I've been favouring the FH Sainsbury's for getting just a few items, during the disruption, but I won't do a full shop there, as I refuse to pay for the parking. Half an hour is not long enough and certainly doesn't allow you to use any of the other FH shops. I know it's something that has been argued about before, but I believe that it is a major disincentive to using FH's facilities.

shzl400

09-04-2008 03:20 PM

Thanks, Snazy, you reminded me - it's a shame that they have got rid of the concessions. They even used to have a post office (which, in its time, forced the one on the street opposite to close, contributing to the dereliction of that little parade of shops) which was very useful. I used the Thomas Cook, Vodaphone and the Blockbuster shops regularly.

I hope that there will be some useful shops on the island site, and can't wait until they get to work there - mostly because they will then get around to fixing the truly appalling state of the road (which I presume will be included a s.106 agreement).[/b]

blushingsnail

09-04-2008 05:20 PM

I'm hoping the new hanging signs above each aisle are temporary (the ones that tell you which products are in that aisle) - the text is ridiculously small. Trying comparing the size with some of the old ones that are still there.

Randwick

09-04-2008 06:07 PM

Wonder if they have plans to improve the carpark? Thre doesn't appear to be any walkways for people and their trolleys.

Unpleasant staff roaming around in groups, foul language. Won't use the place.

Snazy

09-04-2008 07:06 PM

Randwick wrote:
Wonder if they have plans to improve the carpark? Thre doesn't appear to be any walkways for people and their trolleys.

Unpleasant staff roaming around in groups, foul language. Won't use the place.

The car park is an utter mess. The line painting was clearly done by a 4yr old. Lanes too narrow, nowhere for pedestrians, and parking bays of all sizes. Truly disappointing for a newly done store Sad

brian

10-04-2008 09:17 AM

I prefer smaller stores therefore visit Forest Hill. Also I am wonerding how many small shops in SE26 and 23 will close following additional retail space.
I have not been there for about 9 months and therefore cannot comment on interior of new store.
Come on Forest Hill Citizens Support your Local Stores. or Store.
This site is full of remarks demanding more retail space yet the same people seem to shop outside Forest Hill.

Elizabeth25

10-04-2008 10:58 AM

Well, actually. My house is located almost exactly in-between the Bell Green Sainsbury's and the FH Sainsbury's. So if it is a choice between two of the same store--it is really a toss up for someone who lives in my particular area of FH.

Shopping at the Bell Green store should not cancel out someone's wish for more independant shops in FH town centre.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  M&S Food Hall plan to open at Bell Green rbmartin 3 776 09-02-2024 10:34 AM
Last Post: jgdoherty
  Bizarre Road Rage Incident - Bell Green 29/1/24 samuelsen 0 509 29-01-2024 09:58 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  The Bell Green Works development proposed by Barratt London consists of: Six blocks o samuelsen 2 927 15-01-2024 10:24 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Aldi to take over the former Toys R Us store at Bell Green samuelsen 8 9,586 06-03-2019 07:53 PM
Last Post: Erekose
  Bell Green Retail & Employment Park Consultation shaman 11 10,338 05-12-2016 12:15 AM
Last Post: shaman
  Accident bell green cljdc02 0 3,328 03-10-2016 07:41 AM
Last Post: cljdc02
  Bell Green gasholders Savacentre development Sherwood 7 12,366 24-01-2008 09:56 AM
Last Post: PVP