SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
St Augustine church - fundraising for repairs
blushingsnail

14-02-2012 06:04 PM

There's an online news article today about St Augustine's trying to raise funds for structural repairs to the church.

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/...r_repairs/

A grant of £190,000 has been earmarked from the Heritage Lottery Fund but the church has to raise the rest of the money itself to receive the grant. They've managed £30,000 but are £80,000 short.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hoona

15-02-2012 01:58 PM

Would be a terrible shame for the whole community if the church fell into disrepair and was no longer in use. I've been to some great concerts there recently, plus they have a busy toddlers group, Little Acorns, every Tuesday morning and are planning more community spaces and events. Surely we can fight for our church with the same energy as we fought against Domino's! Please give your support.

mole21

15-02-2012 05:47 PM

I got married in St Augustine's, it is such a stunning and beautiful church and a real asset to the area. It would be a disaster if it closed and became derelict. Everyone should show their support and buy a roof tile or brick or something? There's a justgiving link on the church's website for donations http://www.augustineonetreehill.org.uk

EdTheVicar

15-02-2012 06:09 PM

Hi, I'm Ed the Vicar at St Augustine's thank you for posting the story - yes, its true, there is a serious danger that St A's will close if these key building works are not carried out. We've had some amazing fundraising events and concerts and the support from local people has been fantastic. But the bottom line is in order to secure our funding so far we need to raise the shortfall. It sounds like a lot but it is possible! If you don't want to see Honor Oak's iconic church close then please give what you can. Look out for flyers or go to http://www.augustineinetreehill.org.uk/donations.htm or follow me on Twitter @EdTheVicar
I'll be posting more about our arts and community events, including the first ever One Tree Hill Festival - coming soon!
Thank you very much
Ed

Bumble

15-02-2012 10:57 PM

Yes I have always loved the church tower and it always reminds me of an enchanted castle when lit up at night. It would be a shame if this image was lost forever!

I wonder if the church has thought of putting up a long banner on the railings of One Tree Hill asking for people to text in donations with each text being worth say £5.
I know Hornimans did this so it could be worth St Augustine's doing the same and I for one would def text in to help save this beautiful building.

Bumble

15-02-2012 11:31 PM

This info is from a leaflet posted through my door
You can donate by post to:
Revd.Ed Olsworth-Peter (Vicar)
The Parish office,Trinity Path,Sydenham Park,London,SE26 4EA
Tel: 020 8699 0172

Or for standing orders and internet transfers:
Account name: St Augustine's P.C.C.
Account: 13220594 Sort code: 56-00-46

This post was last modified: 15-02-2012 11:37 PM by Bumble.

EdTheVicar

16-02-2012 10:36 AM

yes, the tower is like a fairytale castle - very special! Thank you for your support and fundraising ideas! yes i've heard about text giving on other projects too. very excited...This morning we had our first two cheques though the post from our leaflet mailshot that is going out this week! Amazing support! keep going!

Bumble

16-02-2012 02:06 PM

Good news Ed! I think you will find St Augustine's will pull at quite a few heart strings.
It is important for us to donate, no matter how small and help preserve Honor Oak history by saving this lovely church.

EdTheVicar

16-02-2012 05:15 PM

I couldn't agree more! look out for articles in this weeks News Shopper and South London Press.

EdTheVicar

17-02-2012 12:17 PM

3 more cheques arrived at the church office today - thank you Honor Oak Park and Forest Hill! keep them coming! ed

EdTheVicar

21-02-2012 07:11 PM

More cheques are flooding in - ! look out for news articles on line and in the South London Press.

steveb

12-03-2012 09:51 PM

There is a great opportunity to support the restoration works fundraising by attending a concert at the Church tomorrow night. Local choir The Fairlawn Singers will be joined by special guest Ben Johnson (award-winning tenor) in a program of Songs for a Spring Evening.

Tickets are £8, available on the door, and it starts at 7.30.

There will be a bar afterwards,

So come along and hear some lovely music. Proceeds go to The St Augustine's Heritage Building Fund and Voluntary Action in Africa.

mattyjward

13-03-2012 09:37 AM

Many of you will have heard about the possible closure of the unique landmark and iconic local church on the hill...St.Augustine. Money for the restoration of the church has been earmarked by the Heritage Lottery Fund but will only be released if the amount can be matched by local fund-raising initiatives. At somewhere in the region of £80K this is a big ask but not beyond the reach of SE23ers who would be appalled if this building were to be shut up and left to crumble with its instability possibly affecting access to parts of One-Tree Hill. On Friday 23rd of March at 7.30pm in this picturesque church, locally based professional musicians Benjamin Nabarro (violin)and Fiona Dalzell (piano)will be donating their services and have put together a fitting selection of celebrated sonantas perfect for an early Spring evening. All proceeds will go to the restoration fund and it is a wonderful oppurtunity to hear two outstanding musicians on your doorstep. What better way, whether church goers or not, to celebrate the return of Spring to One-Tree Hill and to help preserve for ours and future generations this remarkable building. For further information and tickets please visit http://www.augustineonetreehill.org.uk/events. Wine available!

This post was last modified: 13-03-2012 09:39 AM by mattyjward.

isaglanzer

13-03-2012 05:29 PM

Just found the link above doesn't work to get you to the page for booking the concert, it's actually:
http://www.augustineonetreehill.org.uk/events.htm

doobyscoo

13-03-2012 06:36 PM

When does the £80K have to be raised by - does the grant specify a date? I'm happy to help fundraising - I don't know how I can help, but just let me know! Rob

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Concerts at St Augustine's Church (Nov/Dec) EdTheVicar 0 3,055 15-11-2013 05:50 PM
Last Post: EdTheVicar