SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Digital Switchover
NewForester

04-04-2012 12:38 PM

Just retuned my digibox and whereas I used to get just BBC channels on my set top antenna, I now get none of the main TV channels Sad?

My other TV has just the balans (the cross piece) of an external aerial connected and gets 125 radio & TV channels?.

So if you're in the same situation, just pop down to Maplins and buy a cheap external aerial. With digital TV an amplified set top antenna may be no good as you simply amplify the noise too.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jane

04-04-2012 12:59 PM

As you seem to know something about the topic, perhaps you or someone else could advise. We replaced our old analogue TV in the kitchen, which worked fine with just a set top aerial, with a digital one with built-in freeview. The set top aerial gave poor reception so we replaced it with a fancy one but the reception is still very poor. If you move around the kitchen the picture breaks up on most channels. Do we need a new TV or do we need to connect it to an external aerial? Don't see why it should not work as before.
Many thanks and appreciate any advice.

Sherwood

04-04-2012 01:34 PM

I am not an expert. But I remember when Channel5 started my TV supplier told me that the signal was weak for the first 3 months.

Jane

04-04-2012 01:47 PM

The reception is bad on all channels and we've had the TV for a few months now! Maybe we just got a poor TV.

lacb

04-04-2012 02:01 PM

If you have a poor signal, which with an indoor aerial you probably do, then digital broadcasts seem to be much more susceptible to problems than analogue did. Proximity to Crystal Palace transmitter doesn't seem to help much.

There may be some improvement on the 18th when I think the analogue signal is lost altogether but you probably need an external aerial.

NewForester

04-04-2012 03:13 PM

You are unlikely to need a new TV. While more expensive TVs can have better electronics, the great advantage of digital (new method of transmitting TV) over analogue (old standard) is that as long as the electronics can tell the difference between 'on' and 'off', you will get a perfect picture.

Amplified set top aerials simply amplify the signal and the noise (unwanted signal). External aerials catch more of the signal, so you are more likely to get a useable signal.

The aerial I bought from Maplin was part no. A20GY for £29.99. The balans is already wired up. Simply take this and plug it into your TV - leave the long bit, whiskers (elements) and mounting bracket in the box. I think they have a 30 day money back guarantee, so nothing to lose (Please check first).

Londondrz

04-04-2012 04:41 PM

NF, any chance you can pop next door and do mine?Laugh

NewForester

04-04-2012 05:36 PM

If you are over 75 or disabled you can get free help ,)

Triangle

04-04-2012 06:23 PM

You might find the following site useful. If you scroll down the page you will eventually come to a comments section where you can describe your problem and ask for help. You might even find that the answer to your problem has already been addressed. Good luck.

The link is:
http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=TQ339712

BarCar

04-04-2012 10:41 PM

Too much signal can be as bad as too good. We had to have an attenuator fitted to reduce our signal strength.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields