SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Junk Hand Deliveries
brian

14-03-2008 01:13 PM

Is there a legal expert out there who can assist. I am fed up with picking leaflets ( mainly food take aways ) of my mat and puting in green bin.
I have never felt the need to have a home delivered meal ( am I alone in this ).
The authorities are for evr telling us to go green but if they allow these unwanted deliveries surely this in not helping.
I would put up a NO HAWKERS AND CIRCULARS sign but guess the people concerned would not understand

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Elizabeth25

14-03-2008 01:21 PM

Usually a sign saying "No take-way menus" should work--or at least cut down on the number a bit.

shzl400

14-03-2008 01:26 PM

brian wrote:
I would put up a NO HAWKERS AND CIRCULARS sign but guess the people concerned would not understand

I expect you'd be right there, but I'm told that a "NO JUNK MAIL" can give at least partial relief. There are some green organisations who even have printed-up stickers to this effect.

Junk mail is good for the economy! Someone is paying the printers (who pay their employees and suppliers etc.) and the deliverers, who then go out and spend the money on other things that pays other peoples salaries, who then also go out and spend etc.

Don't let it raise you blood pressure - I, like you I expect, keep my green bin near the door and strip out my daily postbag of all the car insurance, broadband etc. junk mail straight into the box (although my husband now insists that I remove any names and addresses, in case of identity theft!).

Actually, I quite like getting the menus through the door and I do like the occasional takeaway. It's the stuff the postman delivers that I find to be complete junk, and even the "no junk mail" sticker may not prevent that!

nevermodern

14-03-2008 02:09 PM

You can actually stop the royal mail delivering that junk mail. You just need to register that fact with them.

Baboonery

14-03-2008 02:27 PM

Trinity Church is the worst offender: way more frequent and way more numerous through our door than any takeaway outlet.

jon14

14-03-2008 03:49 PM

nevermodern wrote:
You can actually stop the royal mail delivering that junk mail. You just need to register that fact with them.

True, if you're talking about the stuff that's delivered by Royal Mail. But Brian's problem, I think, is the stuff that's put directly through the door, which the Royal Mail can't do much about.

jon14

14-03-2008 03:50 PM

brian wrote:
I have never felt the need to have a home delivered meal ( am I alone in this ).

If not alone, then pretty close. Laugh

nevermodern

14-03-2008 04:01 PM

I know, jon, but shz mentioned the stuff that the royal mail deliver as a problem, so I was replying to that.

Sherwood

15-03-2008 06:26 PM

Unfortunately, the Post Office say that if you register for no junk mail, you don't get govenment leaflets either.

brian

17-03-2008 10:48 AM

My main point in posting this item was not Royal Mail Junk Mail , annoying as this is , but privately delivered take away menus. Seems to the armies of people walking round the area delivering these. I have mentioned to a couple of these people that these are not wanted but the delivery people seem to have little knowledge of the English Language.

davidl

17-03-2008 01:19 PM

I think that ought to be "the English language"...

jon14

17-03-2008 04:49 PM

brian wrote:
Seems to the armies of people walking round the area delivering these.

Davidl, I'm not quite sure why you picked that as an exmaple of bad England in Brian's post when you could have used this sentence

Maybe Brian delivers junk mail for restaurants.

brian

17-03-2008 04:52 PM

Perhaps I could. Do you know what the salary is. Do they give holiday pay etc.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields