SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Honor Oak pet shop
moth

07-02-2012 04:53 PM

Popped down to Honor Oak pet shop on both Saturday and Yesterday afternoon only to find the shop closed. There is no notice re. closure so just wondering if anyone has any info. I will have to visit Sainsburys soon to replenish as I don't know of any other nearby pet shops!!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sibelius

07-02-2012 05:24 PM

It's closed for good.

Tinkerbell

07-02-2012 06:12 PM

I tend to use the pet shop in Sydenham. I can only speak for how they treat their fish and tanks, but they seem a lot more organised and look after the fish much better than that HOP shop.

Have been going to the Sydenham shop for a few years now, and the staff (can't remember the name at the moment, but it's on the corner opposite the entrance to Co-Op) are always friendly and seem to know their stuff, most of the animals (fish, birds, mice/rabbits other small animals) kept there are in adequate cages (for a pet shop - yes of course they should not stay there for long, ideally) and unlike the HOP shop, the do not keep larger animals, ie the HOP shop had several kittens in a crammed little cage at the back of the shop for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I was quite appalled when I noticed that.

As an alternative for a large shopping trip, there's a very large Pets at Home store in Deptford, would that help?

hoona

07-02-2012 06:45 PM

Really? Closed for good? Had heard there had been yet another rent hike. Soon, there will be a parade of empty shops. Jeyarani up for sale too...

moth

08-02-2012 05:28 PM

Thanks for that info Tinkerbell I had forgotten about that pet shop as I don't often venture Sydenham way. I too was not impressed by the animal welfare at the HOP shop but I will miss it for the convenience as I don't always have use of the car. So here we go again another empty shop unit followed by guess the next occupants!

rshdunlop

08-02-2012 05:33 PM

White's Pet Centre in Sydenham is really excellent and if you can drive, there is a large free car park directly behind it.

alisa

08-02-2012 09:12 PM

Phoebe's Garden Centre in Catford (Penerley Road) also has a decent sized pet section at the back.

http://www.se23.blogspot.com/
Bcm

08-02-2012 09:41 PM

Don't forget the huge pet shop in ladywell. Particularly good for fish!

FH_newbie

26-02-2012 10:31 PM

Both the Ladywell pet shop and Pheobes are brilliant.

davidl

28-02-2012 08:41 PM

Honor Oak Pets might not have looked like much, but from speaking to Linda a few times while the shop was open, I believe her to be someone who was very concerned about animal welfare.

I'll miss having a local independent pet shop in HOP.

arcadian

28-02-2012 09:08 PM

I agree - we got our cat from her when the shop was in Forest Hill and he has been a wonderful family pet!

Pico
No longer registered

02-03-2012 05:18 PM

I always has mixed feelings about the way the kittens were kept in the cage. It wasn't ideal but I know for sure Linda did her best to look after them properly. We got our cat from her and she is a wonderful character.

piglet

02-03-2012 07:44 PM

Good riddance to it I say.

Shops that sell live animals have no place in Society particularly when all the charities are bursting with unwanted pets looking for a loving home.

smudge74

05-03-2012 10:15 AM

The vets in East Dulwich has a little pet shop, not animals but food etc..

Erekose

05-03-2012 07:34 PM

I'll second the pet shop in Ladywell. I have been using it for reptile supplies for the past 12 years or so and have always found them very helpful and informative.

Merlin

06-03-2012 04:29 PM

I wasn't impressed by the animal welfare in the HOP shop - and felt that way when the shop was located in Dartmouth Road previously. I saw a range of cat photos above the till and the owner informed me all the kittens she sold were 'sourced' from her own cat - so she could vouch for their backgrounds! Sounded like a kitten factory to me, and really no need for that when charities are bursting at the seams with animals that need loving homes.

Whites in Sydenham is good.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields