SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
commuting from HOP, trains and station - general queries
SkipJumpHOP

13-02-2012 10:29 PM

Hi there, my husband and I are hoping to move to HOP in March 2012. We're excited about moving to the area and the engagement and enthusiasm of the users on this forum are all the more encouraging!

One of the things that we were wondering about is what commuting from HOP into town is like, frequency of the trains (including the over ground) in the morning and how busy they get? Is it a bit of a jam to get on around 8am? Are the trains generally reliable? Also in the evening is the HOP station area generally safe? One of us will commute to west London and the other to London Bridge so we're hoping travel in and out will be Ok we don't really know very much about the area but we have a good feeling! Thoughts and experiences would be welcome! Many thanks! Smile

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
squashst

13-02-2012 10:38 PM

Hi, The Overground trains are very crowded in the morning rush hour, I recommend the front carriage. And I'd go for a little earlier than 8am if you want space. Trains to London Bridge in rush hour are less crowded (certainly compared to pre Overground). But then the Southern Rail trains have more carriages than the Overground!

Not had any problems at HOP station re safety over the past 3 years. Since the Overground came in at least the station is manned. Probably the biggest failing at HOP is that it is only stair access, no lifts, not good if you have heavy luggage / prams.

squashst

13-02-2012 10:57 PM

And in terms of frequency, outside rush hours its kind of a train every 5 mins (so in a 15 min period, 2 are Overground, one Southern to London Bridge). A bit more frequent in morning rush hour.

And welcome to Honor Oak Park. Lots of hills and green space - One Tree Hill, Blythe Hill, Horniman Gardens, Hilly Fields (or take an OGround to Crystal Palace). Not huge numbers of restaurants locally, but there is a highly rated, if rather pricey Indian (Babur) and an Italian, La Querce both within 5 mins walk of HOP station.

OakR

13-02-2012 10:58 PM

Hopefully a lift is coming this or next year....for now there is a lift at Forest Hill if you really need it which may not be that much further of a walk.

Overground trains generally very reliable - even when busy they feel roomier than when those London Bridge trains used to be rammed, plus they have air-conditioning!

I found the Trains to London Bridge less reliable when I use to get them, but I get the Overground every day now so things may have improved (it was not horrendous but the journey would often take near 20 minutes as it arrived a bit late and then had no platform at London Bridge). You can easily get to New Cross Gate now on the Overground and get a train to London Bridge if need be.

We moved from West London 6 years ago and love it here. There is a great atmosphere to the place.

Sherwood

14-02-2012 08:29 AM

OakR,

If you get the Overground to New Cross Gate, are there more trains to catch from there?

mrcee

14-02-2012 10:00 AM

I dont believe there are more trains from New Cross Gate however it would be good if i was wrong on this.

I have commuted on a daily basis to Great Portland Street, Euston and Blackfriars from HOP. Apart from when the trains are in a mess which isnt that often it has been a fairly good journey and never too crowded unless you travel in the 'interchange' carriages (front for LB and penultimate for CW).

Remember you also have the option of crofton park which has a direct train to farringdon, kings cross, blackfriars.

in short there are plenty of train options, they are fairly frequent (apart from crofton park) and they are being improved!

OakR

14-02-2012 01:45 PM

I thought there were, just tried to have a look on TFL but it has engineering works all over the place so not the best time to check. I thought some of the fast trains that use to bypass HOP would stop at New Cross - but I think I'll stop whilst I'm already behind....

I may have to hang my head in shame it appears though....Blush

mgmonkey

14-02-2012 01:51 PM

Yep, some fast trains whose last stop would have been Norwood Junction then stop next at New Cross Gate.

mrcee

14-02-2012 02:00 PM

Excellent news, are these rush hour trains?

mgmonkey

14-02-2012 02:39 PM

Woudln't know without checking the Southern trains website. I've certainly got one going via Norwood Junction at around 5:10pm before.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Incident at Brockley Station - best to avoid to/from LB trains this eve, 4th August Tinkerbell 0 3,719 04-08-2015 06:50 PM
Last Post: Tinkerbell