SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Nursery classes may close for bulge classes
pebble

03-02-2012 05:03 PM

I have just read the latest copy of TES magazine and Frankie Sulkie, the Director of Lewisham Education, is quoted as saying they will consider closing nursery classes in Lewisham order to make way for much needed bulge Reception classes. I know they desperately need places but how sad it will be not to have a local nursery places.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sherwood

03-02-2012 05:48 PM

Lewisham is desperately short of primary school places. Many bulge classes have already been introduced. This is another way of increasing capacity.

roz

03-02-2012 08:47 PM

I wasnt aware that this was an option. Interesting but given the situation re capacity things are extremely critical and its understandable if councils prioritise the statutory provision. More government funding would help but as we know budgets are being squeezed in favour of free school ideology. Anyway it will be interesting to see if this pans out in practice or is an angle used to shame government into coughing up the cash.

pebble

04-02-2012 09:37 AM

Yes Roz it sounds like they are seriously considering it. It will scupper the gov's plan to increase nursery places for disadvantaged two year olds as it will have a downwards affect.

Lewisham are already doubling the intake of some primary schools by building in playgrounds and are also now consulting on turning some more of Lewisham's secondary schools into all-age 5-16 schools, like Askes, to meet demand.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields