SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Nearby facilities
Sarah M

12-03-2008 04:03 PM

[Moved from 'SE23 Topics > New to SE23' - admin]

I used to rent in N16 too and bought my first house between Honor Oak Park and Crofton Park 18months ago. After having spent 26 years in North London I am a huge South London convert. The area is really peaceful, yet transport links to central london are good and this will improve further with the East London Line. On top of the other good restaurants/pubs people have already suggested, Mr Lawrences Wine Bar and Jam Circus by Crofton Park are both really good. There is also a great shop called paraphernalia up crofton park way too - sells vintage designer clothes and great hand-made headpieces.

My only negative is that there is only one nightbus I can get home (171) and it doesn't go from my main haunts in central london.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sarah M

12-03-2008 04:53 PM

I use the pool at the Ladywell Leisure Centre which is good - it has long lanes and allocates timeslots for purely lane swimming. There is a gym there as well. Here is a link to Lewisham Council's Lesiure centres http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/LeisureAndCul...reCentres/

T and C

12-03-2008 04:59 PM

Whats the best way to Ladywell from HOP station by public transport?

I heard that the N171 is a good night bus but from Holborn or is Waterloo?

Does the 63 pass by close to HOP? Is there a nightbus too?

Sarah M

12-03-2008 05:30 PM

The P4 bus would take you direct from Honor Oak Park to Ladywell (runs about every 10mins or so). I can run to Ladywell in under 10mins as I'm based closer up towards Crofton Park / Blythe Hill Fields way.

The 171 does goes from Holborn and Waterloo. It's just not so great from Shoreditch/Old Street which is where I always seem to be when I'm out later than I should be! I'm hoping the 21 (which goes from Old St and Liverpool St) to Lewisham will start a nightbus route.

T and C

12-03-2008 05:35 PM

Doesn't the 21 go only as far as New Cross? Are they planning to extend this to HOP too? That would be great Old St does end up being the area we hang out too.. A good connection to east side is very much welcomed on nightbuses!!

I didnt realise the P4 went so often? All interesting feedback...thanks

CBRoad

12-03-2008 06:54 PM

The 63 turns into the N63 when the late night revellers are looking to get home. Its runs from Kings Cross, through Farringdon, Southwark, Peckham and HOP.[/i]

T and C

13-03-2008 09:21 AM

Thanks for the Yoga update too! Okay you helpful southern folk, I do have a few more things that im interested in hearing about.

Coming from a short cycle away from Broadway Market (London Fields - http://www.broadwaymarket.co.uk/) , Camden Passage (Angel), Ridley Road market, one of the first things we are going to miss about the north is its abundance of small markets is there anything closer than Borough market worth venturing to?

And are there any cinemas or small fringe theatres close to HOP? I know im going to miss the classic Rio cinema (http://www.riocinema.ndirect.co.uk/index.htm) and Arcola Theatre (http://www.arcolatheatre.com/) of Stokie but im sure there must be something in this neck of the woods too? Thumbsup

voyager3

13-03-2008 10:44 AM

We tend to jump on the P4 to Brixton and go to the Ritzy, which is one of the Picturehouses chain of cinemas. There is also one in Greenwich.

T and C

13-03-2008 10:58 AM

How far is Greenwich by bus on the P4? Sounds like an interesting idea.. Thanks

Sarah M

13-03-2008 12:13 PM

P4 will take you to Brixton (approx 25mins) or if you want to go to Greenwich, you can take the P4 in the oppostie direction to Lewisham and go three stops on the DLR - basically there are plenty of transport options round here but I didn't figure out many of them until I needed to once living here!

RE: theatres etc. The Brockley Jack pub on Brockley Road has a theatre above it and something is nearly always on. Moonbow Jakes on Brockley Road has live music nights.

RE: markets. On rotating weekends there are quite a few farmers markets nearby. There is one at Hilly Fields once a month (close to Ladywell) which I use and on other weekends they go to other nearby locations, e.g. telegraph hill and perhaps closer to forest hill too.

T and C

13-03-2008 12:52 PM

Thanks Sarah you certainly sound as if you know many of HOP's interesting hotspots, I've just done a bit of research and found out the below regarding HillyFields Farmers market:

* The farmers' market at Hilly Fields is held every 2nd Saturday of the month throughout the year.
*Hilly Fields has been running since April 2003 and there are about 15 to 20 stalls depending upon the time of year.
* Times: 10:00-16:00

all good to know, thanks a million Laugh

brian

13-03-2008 12:58 PM

Is Hilly Fields in SE 23.

T and C

13-03-2008 01:02 PM

Hilly Fields actually comes under Brockely and the SE4 (I think) but really close by to HOP an dour SE23 postcode.

nevermodern

13-03-2008 01:14 PM

Borough Market is pretty damn close, though: less then 20 mins away on the train.

Red67

13-03-2008 04:14 PM

Are we allowed to mention Lordship Lane (E.Dulwich) and it's plethora of good food shops (butcher, fishmonger, cheese shop etc) or is that heresy!??
I also like the market in Lewisham for a couple of the veg vendors (Reddens in particular - stall opposite Superdrug) and i have to recommend 'Something Fishy' on Lewisham High St for fantastic fish & chips - great place to observe the fabulous diversity of the area (LBL) in its clientele (see Baggy Daves current thread!).

Yes, i know the above is not SE23, but i think it's fair to say that it's not all available on the doorstep right now - but there is good support for new shops when they do appear (and when they are good).

One thing i would say, the reason you are able to find such a great deal in this area (SE23) as opposed to Stokie is that there may not be so many resources AT THE MOMENT and historically, transport links (perceived or actual) south of the river have been neglected......but not for much longer...... I quite like the fact that this area is not so 'discovered' , but i've a feeling things are about to change.

T and C

13-03-2008 04:50 PM

Me too.. its certainly in the air, to be honest quite a few friends aged betwen 26-36 have began venturing south of the river and apart from the transport links they dont seem to regret it one bit. the more I hear positive feedback on this forum the more I realise that we are about to embark on a wonderful journey, local HOP estate agents have been contacted!!!

Young yet old, fresh yet serene in any case an undiscovered treasure is what im sensing! Thanks

hilltopgeneral

13-03-2008 05:04 PM

I wouldn't get too carried away. Whilst the area certainly has many positives, there are also plenty of aspects in which SE London is considerably ****er than North London.

steveb

13-03-2008 06:03 PM

Can't believe we got 16 positive posts before someone started running the area down. Things must be looking up!

PVP

14-03-2008 09:11 AM

And to be positive for a moment, whilst newcomers may not rate the area compared to Clapham Junction / Hoxton etc, the changes over the past 7 years since I came have been remarkable. When I came the only pub to seem vaguely acceptable to non-builders was the Hob. If you want Clapham Junction etc, then earn 3 times as much or sell your parents house so you can live there.

I think the area is defnitely on the up and we should be proud to see it changing in front of us. Then one say we can all sound like Baggydave and talk about the good-old-bad-old days.

T and C

14-03-2008 09:52 AM

Thanks for the vote of confidence PVP, I do think its good to have a positive vibe when you make a decision to move into a new area wherever it may be. If you go there with a negative perception then surely you will always find something or another to moan about. But from what I've heard so far im really impressed with what's in and around HOP and I can definitely see it growing. I wouldn't want to live it Hoxton or Shoreditch, that's where you go to play. Don?t get me wrong I do like to play .. Oh yes indeed!?

But ive realised that there is more to life than just playtime, having lived in Stokie and surrounding areas for so long I can pick lots of positives but the negatives are quite apparent too. I'm leaving a place where my girlfriend was an eye witness to a shooting which took place literally 50yards from her in broad daylight. From a place where having your bike nicked is just as normal and regular as having your haircut or eating a hot dinner.

I am in the mindset of making the best of any given situation. I don?t want to be worried for the rest of my life about ridiculous mortgage repayments for an area which I like. I can grow to love what I have, im not moving to hell (far from it)?we are both professional but not professional fools, we cant afford to buy in Clapham, Wandsworth, Stoke Newington or Highbury but so what .. I'm over it!!

I'm not under any delusion that SE23 is the "bees knees", but what it does seem to have is a sense of fresh potential. We are looking forward to our move, moreso now that we have had such positive feedback in general.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields