SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (18): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next > Last »
New Sainsburys, 55-59 Honor Oak Park
nitoda

08-02-2012 09:47 PM

Just noticed a "Little Waitrose" in Holborn yesterday. First I ever saw, so hadn't realised when you commented that there was such a thing. I do think one of the factors that makes me appreciate the Honor Oak Supermarket is their willingness to listen and stock things their customers request. The are quite good on dairy-free stuff, alternatives to cow's milk etc., for example. I do feel for the family who own it.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nitoda

08-02-2012 10:43 PM

@ringingcod - I've done a bit of research online and find, to my surprise that Sainsbury's is now considered one of the more ethical supermarkets.
I'll still do my best to support the independents though.

Cheeky

09-02-2012 04:25 PM

Interesting reading stuck to the front of the shop. Over the top? Hmmmmm, not much!!!! The word Rediiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiculous springs to mind.

Disappointed to see a close neighbour with a copy of such tosh on their premises too

Calm1

09-02-2012 07:57 PM

The beauty of a forum such as this is that all are entitled to express their opinions and allow others to respond in a reasoned and constructive way. Unfortunately some choose to post inflammatory material on or in shop windows with absolutely no evidence and possibly libellous narrative. Thank goodness the few dissenting voices on here voice their objections in a more grown up fashion.

hoona

10-02-2012 11:48 AM

Cheeky, I'm intrigued. What does it say?

lacb

10-02-2012 01:27 PM

Was intrigued too. Here it is:
http://postimage.org/image/wdcvvyqhz/

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

10-02-2012 01:34 PM

genius

hoona

10-02-2012 01:40 PM

Thanks lacb...
Hilarious

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

10-02-2012 01:50 PM

The rows of shops at the Dulwich Plough (including butchers, bakers, grocers/mini-mart, newsagents, florists seem to be co-existing quite well with the Sainsburys Local that arrived there last year. I wonder how long it takes for the plague of Sainsburys to cause the destruction seen on the poster?

hoona

10-02-2012 01:54 PM

Exactly.
Particularly love the shot of a burnt-out shop strewn with rubble that must have been taken during the riots.
Also, the shops in HOP include cafes, a mini-cab firm, a wooden furniture shop, funeral directors and a dry cleaners - not businesses that a Sainsbury's local will be in direct competition with...

Sherwood

10-02-2012 02:08 PM

Sometimes a shop draws customers in. When we had a local post office the pensioners used to draw their pensions and spend them in the nearby shops!

Calm1

10-02-2012 03:36 PM

Would all those who wish to make their opinions known to the planners please take a moment to email this afternoon as I believe today is the cut-off. So often the dissenting voices are fewer in number but shout much louder. Let your voice be heard by those that matter.

Geoff Whittington is the officer in charge and can be contacted at :
planning@lewisham.gov.uk

Southlonder

11-02-2012 07:46 PM

I cant believe that the application has more votes against than in favour Angry

I have sent them an email voicing my support, come on everyone you need to email the planning office and vote in favour!!!

Pico
No longer registered

11-02-2012 08:25 PM

I can believe it. People who are angry about something are far more likely to write in than those who are happy or indifferent.

Shall we rally the troops?

There must be more people who want a Sainsbury's ??

Pico
No longer registered

11-02-2012 08:28 PM

Quoting Calm1

'Would all those who wish to make their opinions known to the planners please take a moment to email this afternoon as I believe today is the cut-off. So often the dissenting voices are fewer in number but shout much louder. Let your voice be heard by those that matter. '

planning@lewisham.gov.uk

If you want a Sainsbury's and all the benefits it brings make your voice heard!

Smile

megan

11-02-2012 08:39 PM

I don't understand what they want instead. I can understand not wanting Dominoes as it will not encourage footfall. I think people only see half the story it appears the Pine Shop is about to shut as landlord is demanding more money for the unit. I feel this is a real shame as this shop has been in the family for 25 years.

My partner has been trying to get a change of use on probably the smallest unit in Dartmouth road for 7 months, it has been vacant for 3 years!! Should we really keep opposing every new business. We have now decided on a retail unit in se22.

Personally I don't really care for a mini supermarket but think it will encourage footfall to the high st.

michael

11-02-2012 09:19 PM

I have said before that I think one of the big four supermarkets in Honor Oak would be a good thing, but this application was not just about that. Having discussed this with others on the Forest Hill Society planning committee, I have written to the council in opposition to this planning application.

You can read the full details at http://www.foresthillsociety.com/2012/02...-park.html

All of the concerns relate to the residential units above the shop and not to the change from three small shops to one large A1 retail unit, which we feel will have a generally positive impact on the local shopping area.

We have seen in other planning applications that reasonable objections will not stop a developer revising their plans and returning with a better solution and I hope that this occurs in this situation.

mgmonkey

12-02-2012 09:08 AM

I'm confused. The above post by Pico appears to have been posted after the cut-off mentioned within it?

This post was last modified: 12-02-2012 09:09 AM by mgmonkey.

Cheeky

12-02-2012 10:24 AM

Aye, it's a huge shame that more of the people who were in support on here didn't send in an 'in favour', would have only taken a couple of minutes. To those who did well done.

To those that wrote in and opposed, and especially to the idiot who created 'that' poster, don't you think some of those pictures look familiar? Ah yes that's right, take a look at some of our current units today!!!!

I can understand if you're a newsagent or mini mart opposing, you may have to up your game (god forbid), however with the much publicised expensive sainsbury's produce and your regular and loyal customers it shouldn't be a threat, should it?

If you're a previously well publicised and vocal 'Artisan' deli, surely you should see a sainsbury's arriving as an opportunity to get more custom? You can set yourself apart with those 'artisan' produce that Sainsbury's won't offer??? (An 'Artisan' Deli in NOT a supermarket)!!!

I guess however the biggest villain here looks like it may well be greed, specifically that of the current landlord of the majority of units who seems to be putting up rent around us, by all accounts the guy who used to own most of the units always put the best interests of the community first. How can we create a decent high street of shops for people to frequent when the retailers can't afford to rent the space. But I guess that deserves its own thread (and also appreciate that in this instance he/she/they may not be involved with these units).

A sainsbury's would be best for the majority, and let's face it the majority are the public who spend their money in our community. I'd shop there.

HOP Architect

13-02-2012 01:00 PM

As the architect for the application at 55-59 Honor Oak Park I would like to respond to the Forest Hill Society Planning Committee's comments.

As most will appreciate, there is an urgent need for housing and this proposal increases the number of dwellings provided, from 4 to 5, while increasing the ground floor commercial area for a larger A1 unit. The dwellings generally provide more living space than is required by Lewisham housing policy for each type.

I will answer each point made by the Forest Hill Society Planning Committee in turn:

F.H.S.P.C. Point 1. - Flat 57a has poor quality layout with a kitchen/livingroom that is just over 2m wide in most points, providing little useful floor space.

Response - The proposed kitchen/living room is the same combined area and width as the existing kitchen and living room that it replaces, with the larger room providing greater flexibility in layout. A 2m wide space makes a good galley kitchen which is the intention. This one bed one person dwelling has a floor area of over 45 square metres, the bedroom measures 18.9 square metres; Lewisham's minimum floor areas for a one person dwelling is 30 square metres, with a minimum area for a bedroom of eight square metres. This flat is 50% larger than most affordable new build accommodation.

F.H.S.P.C. Point 2. - Poor quality access provided to flats 59a & b. Both accessed from the rear, up a flight of stairs, and then an external walkway over the flat roof.

Response - The existing flats are already accessed from the rear. The proposed shared entrance lobby and internal flight of stairs provides good security to the first floor flats, while the external area allows daylight and separation between dwellings.

F.H.S.P.C. Point 3. - General outlook and daylight from a number of the units, most notably the kitchen/diner of 59a.

Response - Kitchens are not required to have natural daylight, this one does. Further, the living room in this dwelling is 18 square metres meaning the minimum requirement for the kitchen could be as little as 7.5 square metres. This dwelling has been provided with a kitchen measuring 10.9 square metres, larger than Lewisham's minimum requirements.

F.H.S.P.C. Point 4. - We are also concerned that no details have been provided of neighbouring properties, most notably 57b which surrounded by this development. There are concerns about the suitability of the internal layout of the units within this application, and the impact this may have on the neighbouring properties.

Response - 57b is currently occupied and we were not granted access to survey the property. However, the function of the rooms immediately adjacent to 57b on both sides remain as existing. 57b is accessed from the front of the parade and is not affected by this development.

F.H.S.P.C. Point 5 - As a result of these issues we believe this application should be rejected in its current form as it is contrary to council policies HSG5, HSG8, and HSG11.

Response - As outlined above this development is not contrary to policies HSG5 and HSG8, policy HSG11 does not apply:

HSG11 Conversion of Space Above Shops to Residential Accommodation - There is no material change of use. The space above the shops is already in residential use.

I hope this response has assuaged any doubt anyone on the forum may have held given the information provided by the Forest Hill Society Planning Committee. I would be very pleased to answer any other questions anyone may have.

While the consultation period has closed it is still possible to email your views on this development to the planning officer and these will continue to be added to the list of responses.

planning@lewisham.gov.uk

Pages (18): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pearcefield Car Park (Sainsburys) changes Herbparis 0 3,670 23-03-2020 01:34 PM
Last Post: Herbparis
  Sainsburys in HOP using cycle racks as a trolley park whitecloud 7 9,524 04-11-2014 02:36 PM
Last Post: Londondrz
  Anyone in Sainsburys/Pearcefield road car park this morning (Friday 23rd Dec)? ladywotlunches 3 6,805 23-12-2011 06:32 PM
Last Post: rshdunlop
  Parking machine in Sainsburys car park. Wilson 8 10,798 10-12-2011 08:31 AM
Last Post: shzl400
  'Incident' at Sainsburys Car Park. roz 11 15,287 20-12-2007 09:28 PM
Last Post: Sherwood