SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
New to SE23 (Honor Oak Park)
T and C

12-03-2008 02:55 PM

Both my girlfriend and I are looking to move South of the River for the first time from N16 Stoke Newington area. As first time buyers we were priced out of our own area which we had lived in for over 8 years in total!

In our research, we stumbled upon SE23 and in particular Honor Oak Park. What we liked about it was its friendliness, greenness (if that's a word) and cleanliness. Yes its residential indeed when you compare it to the likes of Stokie, but it has a distinct tranquil and peaceful vibe about.

We couldn't believe how close to Central London we were when we got off the train, my favourite shops so far are the Jelly Beans and a lovely little Italian in Brockley Rise.

We are really keen to make our move to HOP soon and were just wondering if others had recently moved to this little gem of a place and what you think of it ... or are we being misguided in believing how lovely it really is? Wink [/font]

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ghis

12-03-2008 03:07 PM

We bought our house in HOP just over two years ago and love it. Like you we were first time buyers.

We previously rented for 2 years in East Dulwich and then 2 years in Forest Hill and we now much prefer Honor Oak Park. There is just a good wibe we like. Our neighbours are lovely, the recent shop additions have been great and with the tube arrival in 2010 it should become even more interesting.

T and C

12-03-2008 03:25 PM

Thanks for that vote of confidence, I do think its going to be a change from what we know in North London, but I have a good feeling about this potential move. It seems like a nice place to start a family even. What are the local leisure facilities like, any favourite hangouts, shops, pubs, restaurants?

You're right about 2010, I think things will certainly get interesting! The property we are looking at is closer to HOP end of Devonshire Road, I do believe that when discussing HOP that Brockley Rise should come into it, its a stone throw away quite literally.

Ghis

12-03-2008 03:38 PM

Brockley Rise is Honor Oak Park:
I live on the other side of it and it is still HOP and the SE23 poscode.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=...search.srf

Not been to Babur yet but on the list to try.
Le Querce is really good
We also like The Old Bank and Tapastry.
On Brockley rise there is a very good new bakery which has just opened.
There is also a Jamaican Takeway and Organic Deli which is fantastic
The Kebab place (the black and red sign) on Brockley rise serve some of the best kebabs I have seen and authentic Turkish pides (sort of turkish pizza looking disk but shaped like a boat).

Ghis

12-03-2008 03:39 PM

Of course the Honor Oak Pub is 15 min walk from the HOP train station.

T and C

12-03-2008 03:46 PM

Yeah we saw this the other day as we drove past it, looked a nice one to venture out to with Jazz events too.. mmm im liking it more and more!

My partner was saying though that the HOP just needed a florist and possibly a nice coffee shop, I think we saw one in Brockley Rise. Is there a film shop local too?

What about a pool or other sports facilities? Thanks Ghis you've been really helpful!

From the T (of T and C)

Ghis

12-03-2008 03:49 PM

The florist just closed down. Do a search for HOP parade on this site you will learn more.

wayfarer

12-03-2008 03:55 PM

T and C,

We stumbled across SE23 about 6 years ago, and have recently moved from Forest Hill to Honor Oak Park (having gone from rented accommodation to flat to house) and can't see ourselves leaving any time soon.

We're off Grierson Road. It's quiet as there's no through traffic, only 5 minutes to the station and is a stone's through from some really good restaurants and bars.

T and C

12-03-2008 04:02 PM

I do like this neck of the wood, my partner was thinking of joining a yoga class she stumbled inSE23, does anyone know anything about this? Is it any good?

I did look after my friends dog and children for a couple of weeks who living in the Forest Hill end of Devonshire Road and the closest film shop was blockbusters, I hear this is being pulled down, is that true? If so is there anywhere else where one can get a DVD for those nights in? Or has the digital age finally taken over us.. we still only have the terrestrial channels and proud of it

Ghis

12-03-2008 04:06 PM

There is an independent film rental shop in Forest Hill mentioned in some other posts on here. I cannot remember the name.

I like Mr Lawrence too. Cosy beer garden to relax in with wine in the summer.

wayfarer

12-03-2008 04:19 PM

T and C wrote:
If so is there anywhere else where one can get a DVD for those nights in? Or has the digital age finally taken over us.. we still only have the terrestrial channels and proud of it

The DVD is still alive and kicking, with "For Your Eyes Only" on Dartmouth Road providing new releases and a decent back catalogue (including Foreign and Black/White movies).

Ghis

12-03-2008 04:24 PM

That's the one!

T and C

12-03-2008 04:41 PM

Great everyone has been really helpful! Feel like moving right away... will we become south of the river converts too.. only time will tell. Can't wait to celebrate summer there!

what the Indian/Afghan restaurant in Brockely Rise like.. looks intruiging and reasonably priced.. but empty!

Are there any swimming pools or sports facilities nearby?

Ghis

12-03-2008 06:12 PM

Indian Restaurants:

There is:

- Rice and Spice which is a takeaway and is ok.

- Babur is well known

- The Honor Oak Tandory which is very good (near HOP Station).

myasnova

12-03-2008 08:55 PM

Yoga - yes! A great class in Parbury Road (couple of roads behind/parellel to Honor Oak Road, which is our 'high street'). PM me for more details on this!

We've been in HOP for 7 years (also first time buyers at the time). We had no idea where this area was (and we were moving from Clapham), but we love it here!

A couple of really nice coffee places on the Brockley road (Broca, Moonbow Jakes, Cafeblanca etc etc). We've also had our first baby here and have discovered great Community Midwifery and Baby-friendly places (if you are considering an addition to your family).

Maria & Nikolai (02/05/07)

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Jumble Trail in Honor Oak Park, SE23 Alice10 4 6,385 05-07-2015 02:52 PM
Last Post: jeh