SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
HOP Commuter Parking
johnniek

05-01-2012 06:08 PM

Dear all
Has there every been a campaign to establish residents parking on HOP? The number of parkings spaces has been decreased in recent years due to traffic flow improvements, however commuters parking here and using the station are taking spaces away from residents. Its the only blight i have living in a very nice place...
Cheers JK

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dbboy

05-01-2012 06:16 PM

IMO there ought to be double yellow lines on the bend from One Tree Hill down to where the former nurseries used to be. Also both sides of Forest Hill Road from Brenchley Gardens junction up to the Honor Oak Park and Honor Oak Road junctiions. Now that would prevent the risk of potential accidents.

This post was last modified: 05-01-2012 06:17 PM by dbboy.

johnniek

05-01-2012 06:20 PM

I agree that some people drive too fast on this stretch of road (when its not busy).. But speed bumps aren't great they ruin cars.. It would be far better to have speed cameras, which used infra red and wouldn't disturb residents with camera flashes.. Deffo a better solution in an urban environment.

Tinkerbell

06-01-2012 06:12 PM

Hm. As a driver, dare I say it's not the speed bumps that ruin cars. It's driving over them faster than you should, or zigzaging around them that does. I've never had any damage from speed bumps. And anyway, if it helps in saving just one life by slowing down some of those mad drivers, then I'm afraid I'm all for it, unless there's a better solution that can slow down traffic. Speed cameras are a good idea in theory, but so few of them actually work and you can watch most people accelerating as soon as they've gone past the camera.

mrcee

06-01-2012 06:59 PM

Depends on the car, speaking from experience some cars no matter how slow you go can be damaged from speed bumps, it positions your car in an unnatural position (shifting the weight) which damages springs, suspension, anti-roll bars.

Perryman

07-01-2012 02:53 PM

Expensive sports cars are damaged by speed humps and the owners are rich enough to chase councils through the courts for compensation.

mrwandle

16-01-2012 01:12 PM

If we had residents parking wouldn't the council then charge us £100+ a year to park on our own streets? Seems to be the case where I've lived before. All for stopping commuter parking but not when it'll cost us.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields