SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Lewisham hospital v Kings College hospital
essjaygee

19-03-2008 10:39 AM

crazycomet wrote:
The only reason I think I was given the choice was because fate had it that I had a appointment with the doctor already booked for something else and between booking the appointment and the appointment day I found out I was pregnant. This meant I informed my doctor about the pregnancy instead of the midwives. I just presumed that there was no choice and that I would be going to Lewisham as the midwives are from lewisham & I didnt even know Kings was even in the running. However my doctor just asked me where I wanted to go and gave me the suggestions. I think I was just lucky. If I choose Kings I will still have all my appointments with the Lewisham midwives at the surgery apparently.

Patient choice really does work!! You can request to go to King's or Lewisham (and probably others too) - it's your right.

I was adamant I wanted to go to King's this time as I had a great antenatal experience, great labour experience, but TOTALLY RUBBISH postnatal experience at Lewisham (ignored, told off for not feeding, not getting bf support when I specifically asked, yet being told I couldn't go hom until my son had fed, ignored the second night, finally on the following day I decided I'd rather be at home without a clue rather than in hospital getting no support, so I asked to be discharged at 10am on the Sunday to be told "but it says here you were discharged last night.....", being shouted at by a cleaner for daring to be in the loo when she wanted to clean it.....needless to say bf failed and this was a major contributing factor to my (now resolved) PND). I do understand that 3 years is a long time and apparently things have changed - my colleague's son was born at Lewisham and now, for example they show a video showing breastfeeding techniques every day, which I would have loved, but even then, she has a medical condition for which her son should have had regular bloods done and they had to prompt and prompt and prompt to get seen for these on the ward....

I should have complained, but by the time I realised I really shouldn't have been treated like that so much time had passed... what did I know, I was a new mother!

So I'm off to King's this time - I work there too so it's a lot handier. Incidentally when I asked my GP to refer me to King's because I hated my Lewisham experience, she told me she wasn't surprised to hear that as she'd heard similar from a lot of people!

Re the midwives care - I am being seen antenatal at King's but when I have No2 and leave the hospital I'll be discharged back to Lewisham community midwives and I can imagine it will be similar for you. I didn't really miss the continuity of care last time.

Ah well, all will become clear in about 8 weeks or so! BlinkBlush

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Lewisham hospital v Kings College hospital - essjaygee - 19-03-2008 10:39 AM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  7 a side football @ kings college sports ground Mike Bassett 2 4,798 18-10-2016 04:30 PM
Last Post: Davinia
  Lewisham DLR to Lewisham Hospital Walking ForestHillier 4 5,360 25-04-2016 08:44 PM
Last Post: Sherwood
  Lewisham Hospital Choir Top of the Pops! derbybill 1 3,701 26-12-2015 06:05 PM
Last Post: Erekose
  Cuts to Lewisham Hospital A&E ringingcod 205 171,490 05-07-2015 07:42 PM
Last Post: Perryman
  Lewisham Hospital complaint Snazy 0 3,098 03-07-2015 10:24 PM
Last Post: Snazy