SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Lewisham hospital v Kings College hospital
roz

11-03-2008 07:40 PM

Having had a baby by c section last year at Lewisham I would strongly suggest you go to Kings, as I greatly wish I made the change when I had the chance.

I am one of the many women who have in the last year made formal complaints about the service and treatment on the post natal ward.
(bad pain management, baby being taken away without permission, witnessing staff shouting at other mothers and fathers, seeing babies being handled roughly, nurses fabricating medical notes- the usual.)
I understand that action has been taken to improve things but given the opportunity I would not set foot in there again nor would I recommend anyone else do so. I believe the problems are deep rooted in management and these things just don't change that quickly. There are no second chances when it comes to a birth and your first hours with your child. It has been suggested that they were just having a bad night, however I have heard so much more now from others to know that my experience was not unique.

Everyone I know who has been at Kings only speaks highly of it. In addition, they are signed up to the Baby Friendly Initiative, which promotes breastfeeding. They don't provide formula and work hard to get breastfeeding established in new mothers. Lewisham is not party to this initiative and has actually often undermined this process in practice. This is a very important factor to consider if you are choosing to breastfeed your baby and one I would suggest you consider very carefully. Hospitals are definitely not on a par in this respect, and Lewisham only a few miles away from Kings falls down very badly.

Have a tour of both maternity units and see the difference.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Lewisham hospital v Kings College hospital - roz - 11-03-2008 07:40 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  7 a side football @ kings college sports ground Mike Bassett 2 4,807 18-10-2016 04:30 PM
Last Post: Davinia
  Lewisham DLR to Lewisham Hospital Walking ForestHillier 4 5,362 25-04-2016 08:44 PM
Last Post: Sherwood
  Lewisham Hospital Choir Top of the Pops! derbybill 1 3,705 26-12-2015 06:05 PM
Last Post: Erekose
  Cuts to Lewisham Hospital A&E ringingcod 205 171,565 05-07-2015 07:42 PM
Last Post: Perryman
  Lewisham Hospital complaint Snazy 0 3,102 03-07-2015 10:24 PM
Last Post: Snazy