SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Train and Buses Fares increase
ryananglem

07-01-2012 10:00 PM

@CellarDoor I also feel your smugness. I started riding in to work a couple of years ago and have easily paid for the bike and all the associated gear twice over. Not only that, I don't feel I need to go to the gym (so am saving money twice, as well as the time it would have taken for me to go to the gym after getting home). Now I'm actually quite fit - it takes the same amount of time to cycle as it does to take the train.

[have just re-read this] Ooh it really is smug isn't it?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cellar Door

07-01-2012 11:06 PM

ryananglem wrote:
I also feel your smugness.

I understand that when we cycle that the exercise stimulates the release of endorphins about 30 minutes from the start. These endorphins produce a feeling of euphoria. And maybe a touch of smugness?

Oh, I can feel the rage welling up inside our poor public transport commuter Mates. We are going to be in for a world of angry, angry posts on this thread when they wake up tomorrow to our little circle of smugness.

Oh well, we are so euphoric and rich from cycling that it will be like water off our waterproof cycling jackets.

See you in the cycle lane sometime soon.

Applespider

08-01-2012 02:12 PM

Don't think I hit euphoria that often but I'm certainly in a far better frame of mind when I cycle to work rather than catching the bus/train. There's always at least one moment on the bike commute where I find myself breaking into a big smile and feeling a little like an 8-year old again.

I do still go to the gym (for resistance and more interval cardio classes) but can now happily skip the spin classes and go fewer times a week.

I used to look and wonder at the mentality of some of the cyclist commuters in the office but am now truly converted. The roads really aren't as scary as you think (particularly after some excellent Bikeability training - free/subsidised by councils) and it doesn't rain all that much either. I've been drenched only 2/3 times in 20 months of commuting (in the summer so didn't really matter) and got the wet weather gear (trousers/jacket) out 3-4 times too.

Cellar Door

08-01-2012 06:09 PM

Applespider wrote:
The roads really aren't as scary as you think…

I have pleasantly discovered that, as well. And I’m easily the most panicky scaredy cat in the Greater London area, if not Western Europe.

I used to actually let out a scream (and a bit of wee) if a vehicle got too close to me. Nowadays, I’m whistling a happy tune while I cycle through the 32 lane Elephant and Castle roundabout system. Blindfolded! With my hands tied behind my back! (Too far?)

But it is true about this being the real initial blocker. Often, the biggest concern I hear is, “I’d love to cycle to work but the roads scare me” or something very similar.

Good shout out for the Bikeability training, Applespider.

I did my training years ago with the Council after I saw an article in the Lewisham Life magazine.

Does the taxpayer fund this free training? If so, then thanks very much everyone. Money well worth spent in helping me build confidence and learning new cycling skills and remembering long forgotten ones.

I’ve now just discovered that you can book the free lesson online. Look here, whatever will they think of next? What a fascinating, modern age we live in.

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Train Fares to Brighton michael 3 6,099 01-08-2012 10:09 PM
Last Post: shzl400