SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
attempted robbery
dbboy

29-12-2011 04:40 PM

See link copied from East Dulwich forum of thieves trying to steal car keys from hall using bamboo canes.

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/...p?5,809723

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rshdunlop

29-12-2011 05:06 PM

We had a discussion about these tactics on the forum quite recently. It is years since I have left anything valuable within sight of the letterbox at night. If people thought of their car KEYS being worth thousands of pounds, they might take better care of them.

Erekose

29-12-2011 10:14 PM

One of my neighbours had a similar close call last week (Kemble road) when he disturbed someone trying the same thing. Either this is a new 'fad' or the same gang are going further afield. Neither is a very appealing prospect.

roz

29-12-2011 11:14 PM

I think the tactic has been around for some time but now people have cottoned on to it. We have ceased to leave keys in accessible areas at night. You can buy lockable letter boxes I believe but have never seen them but they might be a good idea in some areas. Thanks by the way for posting this as its a good reminder as people can get very relaxed around holiday times and forget.

dbboy

29-12-2011 11:43 PM

I know of at least TWO successful incidents where this tactic has been used resulting in high end cars having been stolen. You have been warned, BEWARE and DO NOT LEAVE KEYS IN THE VICINITY OF THE FRONT DOOR OR STAIRS.

orange

30-12-2011 12:00 PM

Please remember to leave the keys somewhere you know where they are. At night near your bedside table in case you have to evacuate your home because of fire!
It is not just the house or car key the robbers are after. My neighbours had their bikes stolen from their locked garages. We had a terrible burglary last year, when they even took pieces of furniture.
The area is becoming impossible to control. Still after a year, none of our possessions has ever been traced. We think they have been taken abroad! The stress of that experience had a terrible effect on my health. Where do we go from here? No one seems to have a solution. All the current institutions seem to let us down. We can make our homes safe as Fort Knox, but criminals will always use other tricks to get through. All these speaches about the recession etcc. as the cause of the increasing crime are useless. These people are born like that, they are not happy till they have not taken from others. It is a challenge for them to defy the system. In a place like England where you are looked after from the cradle to death, no one should ever steal or rob from another human being.

brian

30-12-2011 01:07 PM

Well said.

Tinkerbell

30-12-2011 02:23 PM

Orange, I understand your frustration, but nobody "is born like that". And just because your possessions haven't been traced, does not mean that they have been "taken abroad". Stereotyping never solves any problems.

hillsideresident

30-12-2011 07:05 PM

Very sorry to read your post, Orange. If it's any consolation, I know of two burglaries in SE23 where the burglar was caught and went to prison, and the same will probably happen to your's sooner or later.

orange

03-01-2012 10:46 AM

We are sure of this because the people who did my house were highly professionals who knew we were away because we left our car at the airport. They had also our telephone number which was given to the car parking company at the time. Our personal details could have been easily passed around. We found a strange telephone message on our answer machine on the day of the robbery. Before that, nothing happened to us during all the years we lived in our home. Anyway, to cause so much pain and havoc to another human being you are must be born like that. In this country you do not have to break into people houses in order to buy food, clothes or pay your bills. It is only greed which pushes these people to do what they do. Some of them are arrested, but when out, they carry on doing the same. It is not the frustation I am talking about, but the fear that it can happen again. Anyway we moved on and are now always vigilant.

brian

03-01-2012 12:52 PM

Using a taxi or parking at the airport are a big risk in these says.

Best options if you are going on holiday is finding a friend to drive you or if possible going by train/bus.

orange

03-01-2012 05:20 PM

We learnt the lesson and always have a friend sitting at home for us and leave by train or coach.

Erekose

03-01-2012 06:57 PM

Yes it always gets worse during recessions. Having had three incidents of theft and criminal damage in as many years following on from ten years of no problems I look forward to those green shoots of recovery.
Orange you can't really believe that people are born criminal - that points to eugenics and we know where that leads.

brian

04-01-2012 11:03 AM

I do not believe people are born criminals howver society /parents have made them what they are.

When you see and hear some of the parents it is no wonder that little Jimmy is thieving and little Kylie is pregnant at 15 demansing a free flat and everything else.

Very few thieves are going to be caught but when they are they should be severely punished. I understand now adays you are unlikely to go to prison for a few robberies , but I wonder why.

shzl400

04-01-2012 07:50 PM

Have just been given news of three different burglaries in the Dunoon Road area over the last week or so. All late at night, some whilst occupants were at home in bed. Scary stuff. Check your windows, lock up and stay safe!

roz

04-01-2012 09:00 PM

I dont think people are born criminals but I do think that some have certain personality traits that make them prone to go after an easy win rather than work for something, as they can't cope with delayed gratification. I did do a criminology course some years ago and worked with young offenders for a few years. It was a great insight. Many of the parents were nice genuine people but were clearly having rings run round them by their kids, even when as young as 8 or 9. Of course criminals come in all shapes and sizes so no one theory will fit all of them but I do think to an extent there is a bit of nature in this.

rshdunlop

05-01-2012 03:17 PM

If you are burgled while on holiday and suspect the taxi or parking firm of passing on your details, report it to the police. I think never using a taxi firm or airport parking service again is a little extreme - if all such businesses were full of potential burglars, or people passing information to criminals, they wouldn't stay in business very long.

orange

05-01-2012 04:53 PM

It happened to me and to another person in the same road who did the same, parked wiht one of these firms at the airports.
We did mention it to police but they disregarded the hint. However, before staying at the hotel at the airport and use their parking space, we were never burglared. It could have been a coincidence, who knows, but certainly these companies have a high turnover of staff, coming from all over the world and they can have access to clients records.

rshdunlop

05-01-2012 05:00 PM

There are indeed many ways that unscrupulous people can tip off a burglar - the milkman, the postman, taxi drivers, airport parking. It is also advised not to write your home address on your luggage labels, just your phone number.

If you think the airport parking company was involved, contact them and threaten them with bad publicity unless they can prove that a) the information couldn't have come from them or b) the member of staff has been identified and dealt with. As I said in my previous post, their business depends on them being trustworthy. Tell them that trust is under threat and they should take it seriously.

oryx

05-01-2012 10:35 PM

orange, did you report it to the police, and did they investigate the airport parking company? I find your story worrying as we use these facilities quite a bit.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Attempted carjacking/robbery hoona 6 6,996 15-03-2012 11:46 AM
Last Post: Londondrz