SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Railcard dilemma
Gep

13-12-2011 03:55 PM

Hi guys,
I normally buy an annual rail card from Forest Hill to London Terminals, but next April I'm planning to move to Zone 2.

I'm trying to figure out what the cheapest option is.

I was thinking to buy an annual travelcard for Zones 1-2 and from January to April to use my Oyster PAYG to fill the gap from Forest Hill to Zone 2.

Does anybody do that?
Do you know how much is it for the extension to Zone 3 for a journey at peak hours?

Thank you!

P.S. I've asked the train station and they didn't know...
I've also email TFL, but from previous experiences I don't think they will answer my email before April...

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BMqpr

13-12-2011 04:08 PM

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx

You'll be able to find your pay-as-you-go zones 2-3 on here.

Applespider

13-12-2011 09:38 PM

It will be less hassle now than it was a few months ago when you had to get a special extension on your ticket if you started in zone and would finish out of zone.

Why not get them to give you a quarterly 1-3 ticket and than pick up the annual one when you move? Unless you're trying to buy at this year's prices, of course. Otherwise it's going to be £3 a day.

Alternatively, depending on which bit of Forest Hill you live in and which London Terminal you are going to - buy a zone 1-2 and hop on a bus to a zone 2 station. I live near the Horniman but it is quicker for me to get to Victoria by getting a bus to Denmark Hill/Peckham Rye than get the direct train to Victoria.

lacb

14-12-2011 10:58 AM

I think that your best option would be to buy your season ticket as normal and then change it when you move. Have never done this myself but I understand that is possible:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fare...tions.html

It is bit dispiriting if the ticket office don't know this though.

Gep

14-12-2011 03:20 PM

Thank everybody.

@Applespider: yes, the point is to buy an annual ticket in December to get 2011 prices. And the bus is not really an option since I live next to the train station and I work in London Bridge.

@Lacb: it is quite dispiriting the attitude and knowledge of some people at the ticket office. The refund works fine, but you loose the benefit of buying an annual ticket now at 2011 prices, plus they charge you some admin fees, etc.

After further investigation I think the best option is to buy an annual travelcard for Zones 1-2 and then buy monthly rail tickets with Southern from Forest Hill to Honor Oak Park (around £40).

I hope this will help other people.

This post was last modified: 14-12-2011 03:21 PM by Gep.

lacb

14-12-2011 03:27 PM

Ok understood.

So, just curious, how will you get from Honor Oak Park to zone 2?

rbmartin

17-12-2011 06:55 PM

A HOP to FH season would still leave Gep liable to a penalty fare.

You need a boundary zone 2 to Forest Hill monthly season, which can be purchased from the ticket office only.

In addition, you can also ask this question at http://www.railforums.co.uk where there's a specific fares section where rail experts can advise you of all the options available to you.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields