SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Recycling in Lewisham
michael

05-12-2011 10:39 AM

Excellent news today on recycling:

http://recycleforlewisham.com/2011/12/02...ontractor/

Quote:
From December the 5th, residents will be able to recycle the usual items such as paper, cardboard, glass bottles, jars, cans and plastic bottles. In additional to this however, they will also be able to recycle liquid beverage cartons (aka Tetra Paks) and also mixed plastics (i.e. food containers, trays, cups, cling film, CD’s, meat trays, yoghurt pots, ice cream tubs, plastic tubs, party platters, bubble wrap, crisp packets, DVD cases, sandwich packs) – providing that they are clean of course. Empty aerosols are also accepted.

Even clothes and textiles can go in the green bin!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IWereAbsolutelyFuming

05-12-2011 11:09 AM

damn, you just beat me to it. great news indeed - you can now put more stuff in your recycling bin than you can in your normal bin. I've spent the weekend fishing stuff out of the non-recycling half of my kitchen bin to put into the recycling half.

Another good link from lewisham.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

05-12-2011 11:11 AM

p.s wonder what time they'll have to start in the mornings to collect all that extra recycling??

rshdunlop

05-12-2011 11:35 AM

Finally! Excellent news.

Do please remember, everyone, to give food containers a quick rinse before you put them in the recycling- in cold water. Use hot and you virtually cancel out the virtue of recycling.

Joffe

05-12-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:
Finally! Excellent news.

Do please remember, everyone, to give food containers a quick rinse before you put them in the recycling- in cold water. Use hot and you virtually cancel out the virtue of recycling.

Thanks - what if you put jars in the dishwasher?

rshdunlop

05-12-2011 01:18 PM

Obviously, if you are running the dishwasher anyway...

But you knew that.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

05-12-2011 02:47 PM

And take grandma out of her old cardi before lozzing it in the recycling bin.

Deano

06-12-2011 08:55 PM

When I was a kid we just threw stuff away. A bloke came down the drive, picked up the bags out of the bin and threw them in the back. I can't believe how complicated it has all become. Now you practically have to do it all yourself and all the bin man does is put the bin on the back of a lorry. He doesn't even put it back properly. I caught my wife today washing up a yoghurt carton. I ask you. How ridiculous is washing your rubbish - not to mention energy intensive. She then took off the cardboard outer to discard the bits that you can't recycle and left them out to dry. I just lobbed the lot in the other bin when she wasn't looking.

rshdunlop

06-12-2011 08:58 PM

I'm very disturbed to find that my husband has been posting here under the name of Deano.

Deano

06-12-2011 09:45 PM

Put the kettle on love

andrewr

09-12-2011 10:00 PM

Anyone worked out if you can put polystyrene in the recycling now? It's not on the OK list, or the banned list.

shzl400

10-12-2011 08:35 AM

We've had no leaflet or anything round from the recyclers on this. Unless you are a regular on the Lewisham website or a devotee of se23.com, how are people to know that they can now recycle so much more? Shot in foot Lewisham, I think!

andrewr

10-12-2011 02:13 PM

Details of the new recycling arrangements are in the latest edition of Lewisham Life - which should go to every household. Might have been a good idea to put stickers or tags on the bins as well though.

Erekose

10-12-2011 04:05 PM

Using the last of the washing up water to rinse items in before recycling has always seemed like the best method to me. Far more effective than using cold water on many items (foil take away containers for instance).
Polystyrene is an odd omission in both the 'can' an 'can't' list.

Deano

11-12-2011 10:20 PM

At least Lewisham life can go straight in the recycling without being washed up. When will the Council stop publishing these vanity mags. I thought we were in an economic crisis.

Joffe

12-12-2011 10:57 AM

Perhaps 'somewhere else' life would be better. Might broaden my horizons. I know what life is Lewisham is like - I live there.

andrewr

12-12-2011 01:47 PM

Deano - I've got no reason to support Lewisham Council but if you read through the latest issue of Lewisham Life I think you will find that very little of its content is 'vanity'. The vast majority of the content is purely factual telling people about Council services, their Councillors and 'What's On'. I believe I'm right in saying that as an economy measure, it is now only published four times each year. Seems reasonable to me that the Council should have a means of regular communication with its customers - how else should they have told us about the new recycling service?

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

12-12-2011 02:24 PM

Credit where it's due again - requested a green wheelie bin last Monday morning and was warned there could be a 6 week if not in stock but the next day our bin had arrived...ok, so it wasn't green it was a normal one with the original lid replaced with a green one and it looked like it'd been rescued from a building site but I guess that goes well with 'reduce, reuse, recycle'.

Deano

13-12-2011 06:40 PM

Imagine my delight when Lewisham Life drops on the doormat. Ooh. I wondered where it had got to this quarter. All of my rubbish was beginning to pile up whilst I awaited the latest recycling news. Hang on a minute. I can also see that the elected mayor attended a ceremony to open a paper bag. It does have details of locally elected representatives thankfully. I was beginning to forget who they were and Google makes this info so hard to get and threw away last weeks newsletter telling me why they are wasting my money on vainglorious self promotion. As to how the council could communicate the change in recycling policy, how is this for an idea, why not get the council workers who come every Tuesday to empty the bin to stick a new sticker on the top of it with the details? You would at least reach everyone with a bin, rather than everyone who happens to accidently open Lewisham life.

admin
Administrator

13-01-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:
LONDON BOROUGH OF LEWISHAM
Media Release: 13 January 2011
Ref: MR20

New move to increase recycling

Over the next 6 weeks, recycling advisors will visit 30,000 homes on Lewisham’s housing estates and blocks of flats, to help and encourage residents to recycle more.

The recycling advisors will deliver leaflets providing all the latest information about the additional materials that can now be recycled, together with 50-litre recycling bags designed to help residents to store and carry their dry recyclables to their nearest recycling bins on their estate or development.

Following a change of contract, Lewisham Council’s waste and recycling is now being handled by Bywaters (Leyton) Ltd. Using sophisticated sorting systems, Lewisham residents can now recycle many more items than in the past. The additional items include tetrapacks such as juice cartons, mixed plastics, aerosols, shredded paper, bubble wrap, carrier bags, old clothes and other textiles.

A complete list of items that can now be recycled is on the Council’s website: http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/recycling

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lewisham Council recycling survey - let them have your views samuelsen 1 4,593 23-02-2019 08:31 PM
Last Post: johnfbw
  Lewisham live-garden waste recycling juels 11 9,753 11-05-2016 01:24 PM
Last Post: dlf75
  Lewisham Council consultation on changes to waste and recycling admin 5 7,057 10-09-2015 07:14 AM
Last Post: 152047