SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Jeremy Clarkson
Joffe

01-12-2011 03:10 PM

I've just listened to Unison on the BBC saying Jeremy Clarkson's comments yesterday about those on strike were 'totally totally freightening', 'an incitment to hatred' and finished off by likening him to Col Gadaffi.

You can watch here:

What are Unison on? Whether you are for or against the strikes this disagnosis is utterly ridiculous!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rshdunlop

01-12-2011 03:14 PM

Taken out of context the remarks sound appalling.

Taken in context, they are clearly meant as a joke. A very tasteless joke, but a joke nonetheless.

Joffe

01-12-2011 03:20 PM

Even out of context they sound like a joke to me. I think Unison are being over sensitive because this strike was very weakly supported even by their own members.

Redalways

01-12-2011 05:58 PM

PR disaster for UNISON if they take that buffoon seriously.

They overreacted. Clarkson though also a w****r and a publicly funded one at that !

Deano

01-12-2011 07:44 PM

I am totally totally frightened by unison's remarks. If it were left to them no one would be allowed to make jokes and we would all be in prison. They pose a totally totally frightening threat to freedom of speech and expression.

Baboonery

01-12-2011 08:09 PM

Can Jonathan Ross have his job back, then?

It's not like anyone who quoted Clarkson has killed anyone lately, is it?

What?
Eh?

Oh.

Erekose

01-12-2011 08:50 PM

Yes I agree - I can't [/b]believe anyone would really take a word Clarkson says seriously as he long ago passed into a caricature of himself.

ryananglem

01-12-2011 10:48 PM

Clearly the majority of workers want to return to working 80 hours a week with no/limited time off weekends or any of the other benefits that unions have fought for over the years.

Jeremy Clarkson was only stating this in the satirical, politically correct, intelligent manor that he has.

Oh, hang on..

Joffe

02-12-2011 11:07 AM

I wish I knew what you were talking about Baboonery but as you write in cryptic code I don't.

sandy

02-12-2011 11:44 AM
sydenhamcentral

02-12-2011 12:12 PM

I think we need a pinch of salt and a sense of humour again as a nation.

The way this was said it was clearly not serious. Sometimes people go too far. But this is a complete over reaction.

Bring back common sense, someone, anyone, quickly. Please.

milliemop

02-12-2011 02:45 PM

Please can we have someone like SydenhamCentral running this country - we need to lighten up and get a life - have some fun people - life is for living - not for moaning constantly !!!!

Jeremy Clarkson is famous for having a laugh - A LAUGH - get over it
Cursing

Snazy

02-12-2011 02:47 PM

I have to agree, I found the comments made by the UNISON spokesperson even more 'alarming' than the original comments of Clarkson himself

Perryman

02-12-2011 05:29 PM

I think the comment needs to be taken in context.

The context is our major 'trading partner' China, who bring us Christmas every year in large cargo containers, will indeed have political activists and strikers shot (and then harvest their organs).
Hey, but it keeps the prices low.

Can I take this opportunity to wish everyone on SE23 a very Merry Christmas.

hillsideresident

02-12-2011 06:16 PM

Surely Clarkson's BBC salary is paid by the tax payer, which makes him a public sector worker himself?

Cellar Door

02-12-2011 08:23 PM

hillsideresident wrote:
Surely Clarkson's BBC salary is paid by the tax payer, which makes him a public sector worker himself?

Very good. I like your observation, hillsideresident.

Are the BBC worker’s public sector (i.e. government workers)?

I understand that the BBC is a Public Service. Not Public Sector. Slight difference, if you know what I mean?

The BBC have many income streams including their largest being the TV Licence Fee. Of course, commercial income becoming dramatically bigger over the recent years. The popularity of Dr Who and the Teletubbies in the U.S.A. being a lovely little money spinner amongst many, I have read.

Maybe you think it is the taxpayer because the TV Licence is classified as a tax and evasion is a criminal offence.

Or maybe because, although it is collected privately, the money goes into the central government’s Consolidated Fund and they allocate it out. (Oh, does Channel 4, being publicly owned, get any TV Licence dosh, I’m now wondering?)

There are many non-taxpayers who pay the TV Licence. I was one of them back in the mid to late 1990’s.

I imagine that there are some at the BBC who might be considering the option of taking Clarkson outside the BBC Television Centre at White City and shoot him right now. That might beat “I’m a Celebrity…” on itv1 later tonight in the ratings?

I heard that Chuka Umunna MP had some thoughtful observations about this Clarkson hubbub on Question Time last night.

roz

04-12-2011 01:16 PM

I think its Jeremy Clarkson who is ridiculous personally. I seem to remember he was investigated by the RSPCA when he said on TV that hed run over a fox so his recent behaviour is not out of character.

Sorry people think Unison's reaction is a little oversensitive but I guess if so you werent part of the many thousands who actually took part in the strike action. My feelings have been running a little high also, in that many people who are the first to run to their union in a minor dispute and potential redundancy situation, felt that this matter did not apply to them and went in to work,letting the rest of us take the hit for them.

I am personally a lot of money down in my pay packet this month when I can least afford it but I am glad that I took this action. I dont understand the view of those who opposed it either on the basis of 'what about the private sector look how badly off we are'
or because they feel it won't achieve anything, or even because they don't want to be made to feel as if , after all, they are really just one of the workers. I think it probably has made a difference,but its not clear yet how.

I don't want to shoot Mr Clarkson in return, but I do hope the Intelligence Fairy visits him this Christmas to leave him a few brain cells.

brian

04-12-2011 06:12 PM

Roz
Guess we will never agree.
You seem to be attacking the Union members who worked. Good on them. I think they should get priority if and promostion going , or in the back of the queue for any redundencies. That is what happens in the real world.

So you are short of money because you wthdrew your labour . Yet you seem surprised.

How many times do you need to be told these pensions are NOT funded.
Most is funded by the private sector taxpayer.
Listen to John Hutton. He and I think latest offer far too generous.

roz

04-12-2011 07:59 PM

As usual Brian any argument of any depth is lost on you.

brian

04-12-2011 08:24 PM

What a well argued reply Roz. Appreciate the way you have discussed the relevent points.

God be with you and Unison.( sorry they are God )

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields