SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Beadnell Road
tabbycat

25-10-2010 08:00 PM

Am new to the area and looking at potentially buying somewhere in Beadnell Road. It seems quite a mixture of houses and commercial properties too...Is it a nice road to live on? Anything to be aware of or look out for?! And would you class it as Forest Hill or Honor Oak? Estate agents seem to chose whatever suits at the time!!!

Thanks

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PVP

26-10-2010 02:36 PM

I'd say forest hill, but only ever cut through the area on occasion.

brian

26-10-2010 03:30 PM

100% Forest Hill.

However I dispute Honor Oak is a proper area just the name of a station and couple of roads, all part of Forest Hill.

We do not want a UDI , like in 1965 , we have not got Harold Wilson to sort it out.

Hawkesrah

27-10-2010 07:51 AM

The postcode SE23 represents Forest Hill only. Honor Oak is just a part of Forest Hill and is just north of Gabriel Street

robin orton

27-10-2010 09:57 AM

I don't believe Honor Oak should count as part as FH, even if it's in the same postal district. It is defined principally by its railway station, like most places in London. It is in Crofton Park ward, not FH or Perry Vale. On the rare occasions I visit it, it feels funny and foreign to me. I suspect that culturally and economically it is closer to trendy and metropolitan Brockley than to suburban lower middle class FH.

sandy

27-10-2010 10:16 AM

I live 5 mins walk from HOP station and am in FH ward. I mostly say I live in FH but to home in a bit closer in describing where I live I say Honor Oak Park or Honor Oak for short. The Oak of Honor on One Tree Hill is not even in Lewisham (as is Forest Hill) but in Southwark, even though it has an SE23 postcode.

Hawkesrah

27-10-2010 10:29 AM

I think I would agree with you that Honor Oak actually has a higher status than most of Forest Hill. I used to deliver leaflets over a wide area and I noted that virtually all of Honor Oak is at least middle class.

If you move south towards Sydenham there a fairly high number of lower / working class residences. In other words this strip contains a mish mash of social classes (Unlike Honor Oak its inconsistent).

I noted the Upper class of Forest Hill mainly live in the Canonbie Road / Horniman gardens area but some people would argue thats a part of Honor Oak.

Since Honor Oak gots name from Queen Elizabeth 1 it could confirm a higher socio economic past. She visited the area and picknicked under an oak tree. To honor her visit you get the name Honor Oak.

Hawkesrah

27-10-2010 10:36 AM

Sandy I posted a reply to Robin Orton. Just in case you dont know Honor Oak was named as such after Queen Elizabeth 1 visited the area and picknicked under an oak tree. Hence the name Honor Oak (In her honour). Due to the Royal connection the name cant be changed and therefore was not renamed Forest Hill.

Southwark became the first London Borough but now days it has been devalued due to its high crime rate on the north side.

brian

27-10-2010 12:08 PM

I think we all knew about the story of One Tree Hill and the Virgin Queen , but I always understood there is no firm evidence that this ever occurred.

Seems many HOP's people think they are higher up the social strata than mere people from the rest of SE23.
Maybe Lewisham Council should tax them more

Rather like Eden Park and Elmers End . They are sub districts of Beckenham.So all SE23 is Forest Hill.

sandy

27-10-2010 12:22 PM

All of SE23 cannot be considered to be in Forset Hill if Forest Hill is part of Lewisham. Some of SE23 is in Southwark so Lewisham could not tax the people who live there!

There is a good chance that Elizabeth 1 visited One Tree Hill but no certainty hence the term 'honor' is not from that source but something to do with land or boundaries. Will check my facts and post later.

sandy

27-10-2010 12:23 PM

Or indeed, Forest (not Forset) Hill.

sandy

27-10-2010 12:36 PM

On the name of Honor Oak, consultations with one of my fellow committee members of Friends of One Tree Hill, resulted in the following response:

"This tree and its predecessors had been know as an "Honor Oak" for several hundred years before Queen Elizabeth rested there on her way to visit sir Richard Bulkeley at Place House, Lewisham in 1602. At that time, Oaks of Honor marked the boundaries of royal and ecclesiastical land and there are many examples of these trees all over England. However, after her visit, the land became known as "Oak of Honor Wood". The name formally changing to One Tree Hill in 1905 on the opening of the park and planting of the current oak."

Hawkesrah

27-10-2010 05:31 PM

I believe Forest Hill & Honor Oak will become like Israel and the West Bank. Information from Lewisham council indicates a wall may need to be built to separate the poor of Forest Hill from the rich of Honor Oak to avoid civil unrest.

brian

28-10-2010 10:07 AM

Honor Oak might be posher but One Tree Hill attracts some aggressive chavs, not sure where they come from.

Twice have been walking to meet aggressive looking gent with two or three very agressive looking dogs , with no muzzles or leads.

I have not noticed this in Horniman Gardens.

sandy

28-10-2010 01:25 PM

Should we not be discouraging the use of 'chav', a clearly prejudicial term. Was the person or his dogs actually threatening you?

brian

28-10-2010 02:37 PM

I felt threatened but he was the same for everyone.

Not sure what is wrong with the word Chav. Quite a number in Croydon.

Bcm

28-10-2010 11:05 PM

And you base this opinion upon what hawkesrah? Totally not the vibe I get from either set of residents.[/quote]

brian

29-10-2010 07:12 AM

BCM

Was it possible that Hawkesrah was joking.

tabbycat

29-10-2010 08:40 AM

So what about Beadnell Road then?!!! Any thoughts on what it would be like to live there?

Sherwood

29-10-2010 09:24 AM

I shall start telling people I live in South Honor Oak to impress them!

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Beadnell Road demolition hoppy 10 12,742 08-12-2011 03:12 AM
Last Post: sydenhamcentral
  21 Beadnell Road Linzee 0 3,747 10-01-2011 10:03 AM
Last Post: Linzee