SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Walking in the snow
seeformiles

23-11-2011 01:30 PM

I live on one of the steeper roads in Forest Hill and I'm not particularly looking forward to another winter spent slipping and sliding down the hill to the station. I saw some over the boot snow shoe things advertised recently - they claim to provide excellent traction on compacted snow and ice.

I'm just wondering - do they actually work? And are they any good for walking downhill?

I'd appreciate any advice or tips before I part with my money.

Thanks in advance.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rshdunlop

23-11-2011 01:46 PM

Yes, they are good and provide good traction. You will still need to take care walking down hill, but it should at least make it a little less hairy.

seeformiles

23-11-2011 02:07 PM

Thanks, I'll give them a go.
Smile

roz

23-11-2011 09:02 PM

I know the feeling. This year we are trying to get prepared early in anticipation. I bought a pair of these crampons from Finches but you can get them a lot cheaper on line. I have twins and needed extra grip to push a double buggy around. I have to say that with these on I really enjoyed getting out and about compared to previous times and never slipped at all. The studs do wear down though so I'm buying another pair as a back up.
The Guardian were advertising them recently too. I can recommend them on the hills but the only time they won't work is when water is melting over ice- but I think nothing will work then so you just have to watch out. I have also a pair of mountain walking sticks which I carry with me which also helps- these are retractable and fit nicely into a rucksack. Probably looks silly but I didnt notice anyone laughing last year.

seeformiles

23-11-2011 09:18 PM

Hi Roz - I think I had crampons originally in mind, but I ordered what looks like a pair of strappy things with a moulded plastic toe and heel and spiral metal bits underneath.

I read some reviews and they seem to be highly thought of, but some also said they wear out fairly quickly.

Will let you know how I get on.

rshdunlop

23-11-2011 09:19 PM

I'm pretty sure that all this readiness means there will be no snow this year. We even got rid of our lovely, low-slung sporty rear-wheel drive car that couldn't move in more than an inch of snow. I am now driving something very boring but snow worthy. There will be not a flake.

seeformiles

23-11-2011 09:34 PM

I've been relying on my walking boots up until now but I don't find they can cope with my road - in fact their weight seems to make me slide down even faster!

rshdunlop

23-11-2011 09:40 PM

There's your answer, seeformiles. Just bring a tin tray and slide down. Getting back up might be more difficult, though.

But did I mention there will be no snow?

seeformiles

23-11-2011 10:00 PM

Ah well, we'll see. I divide my time between here and a village which is in a bit of a dip in Oxfordshire, and I guarantee I'll need these over shoe things there. It seems to get cut off by snow every year.

A light scattering of snow would be nice though. :-)

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields