SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Foxtons, East Dulwich
admin
Administrator

14-10-2007 10:47 PM

Posts from old forum ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ciej
Joined 29-07-2007
Posted on Tuesday, 25 September, 2007 - 11:47 am:

Has anyone else noticed that there are Foxtons signs popping up in Forest Hill? They have just opened up shop in East Dulwich.

I really hate Foxtons, but those guys go for the expensive parts of London, so it is definitely an interesting development...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Loca
Joined 20-09-2007
Posted on Tuesday, 25 September, 2007 - 11:53 am:

Not too much to be excited about as they are in:
Peckham
Brockley, SE4
West Norwood,
Honor Oak Park
Nunhead, SE15
So we are not as exclusive as we might think.

Michael
Joined 04-03-2005
Posted on Tuesday, 25 September, 2007 - 12:04 pm:

There were offering commission free sales for the first 200 customers, so it is no wonder boards are popping up. Their plan to be noticed appears to be working.

Brian
Joined 18-04-2005
Posted on Tuesday, 25 September, 2007 - 01:14 pm:

With the coming property crash why are they wasting their money.

Nevermodern
Joined 09-02-2007
Posted on Tuesday, 25 September, 2007 - 01:35 pm:

This will be the property crash that's been coming for the last four years? Smile Nice to see the usual heady optimism.

Brian
Joined 18-04-2005
Posted on Tuesday, 25 September, 2007 - 01:40 pm:

I do not want a crash but no problem if they go down up to 20%. This will assist new buyers.
Afterall property should be somewhere to live not an investment

Baggydave
Joined 19-05-2004
Posted on Tuesday, 25 September, 2007 - 09:05 pm:

They can b off after all the junk mail they sent me. Almost felt like popping the green balloons they were giving out in Lordship Lane on Saturday. Bah humbug.

Roz
Joined 17-03-2005
Posted on Tuesday, 25 September, 2007 - 10:16 pm:

Indeed. Now we know you shop in East Dulwich. Thats another illusion shattered. Or popped.

Davidwhiting
Joined 07-12-2003
Posted on Tuesday, 25 September, 2007 - 10:39 pm:

BD has asked me, as his publicity agent, to indicate to you all:

1. That he does not shop in East Dulwich.

2. His only reasons for going there are:
i) to try to locate the Moore House Tavern, missing from Forest Hill for some years; and
ii) to make himself sad by contemplating the number perfectly serviceable traditional public houses now turned into gastro-this and gastro-that.

Robust measures will be taken against anyone disputing the above (etc)

Baggydave
Joined 19-05-2004
Posted on Monday, 01 October, 2007 - 09:34 pm:

Whoops I missed all that. Well nothing worse about being talked about, apart from not being talked about.

Shops that BD goes to - the record shop and deli in North Cross Road market. The Cheese Block. The glass shop before it moved. The charity shop at the bottom. He occasionally does the Blue Mountain, and really liked Grace and Favour before they stopped doing food. No to all the trinket shops, oh apart from Xmas of course. Umm that is it. Clearly BD would like all these shops to relocate to his local parade, on Wood Vale, where of course the legendary MPT is of course sited. There should be enough custom in the area, but unfortunately the chattering classes go on about local facilities and then drive to the supermaket to shop.

The guys running the Hob made some disparaging comments about the lack of real pubs in East Dulwich. I think DW may be agreeing with me, or is he just humouring me? There is a thread on East Dulwich on the other side.

Now did I tell you all about the Great Guardian war of '05. Clearly there had been a mistake in ordering as they had run out in every newsagents in the area. The carnage was dreadful, there werebeards, sandals and corduroy jackets everywhere. Even worse than cabage patch dolls. And some collateral damage with a number of Hugo's and Adolphus's and Jemima's getting caught up. Worse still was the following week when they over-ordered and piles of Guardians were falling over like dominos. What is this bloke on?

Roz
Joined 17-03-2005
Posted on Monday, 01 October, 2007 - 10:51 pm:

Are there shops on Wood Vale?

We seem to be on the other side ourselves all of a sudden....

Toffeejim
Joined 27-11-2004
Posted on Tuesday, 02 October, 2007 - 12:11 am:

For those that missed it the BBC's Panorama programme uncovered some rather unlovely details about Foxtons:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4826444.stm

Does anybody remember the guy on North Cross Road who sold jeans and did alterations but would also offer the chance to purchase from his personal stock of well-thumbed jazz mags? He'd direct an amazing Clarey-esque line in banter at you throughout. Unforgettable.

Roz
Joined 17-03-2005
Posted on Tuesday, 02 October, 2007 - 09:07 am:

Unlovely indeed. They can stay in East Dulwich.

I think back to experiences with some other local estate agents in FH a few years ago when we were trying to buy our house- one gentleman who has long gone and sold his business on -which is still in operation and seemingly a lot better - but when there played very dirty tricks on people including being a regular encourager of gazumping, making out a property was still on the market to keep the buyer on his toes. We made an offer which was accepted, or so we thought, but no confirmation paperwork ever arrived. Unknown to us contracts were about to be exchanged with another buyer and they were using us to bump up the price at the last minute. This actually caused us to lose another house.

Another firm who is no longer around (linked to a building society)refused to consider our offer unless we went with their mortgage broker despite having our own mortgage arranged elsewhere. We were put on the spot late on a Friday night and wanted to think it over but by Saturday morning the property was gone elsewhere for the same price to someone who took their lousy mortgage deal.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
baggydave

28-10-2007 01:28 PM

Jazz mags TJ? Modern jazz or trad??

Good article on Foxtons I hate to add. On the fourth time of them writing to me I left a message for them to desist. On the fifth time I rang them threatening to paste their correspondence to one of their green Mini coopers. I was polite I hasten to add, and was told they would take me off their mailing list. I never put myself on it, they are using the electoral roll.

nevermodern

28-10-2007 02:11 PM

It's a good reason to make sure you exclude your name from the edited version of the electoral roll - then companies can't access your name. Also signing up to the mail preference service should make junk mail less likely Smile Boo to Foxtons.

roz

28-10-2007 03:12 PM

Funny, I also phoned Foxtons a few weeks ago after the 4th delivery in as many days to complain about the same thing.

I also understand that they have gone round looking for 'for sale' or 'under' offer signs in FH and made direct approaches to those vendors saying that they can get more for their properties than the appointed agents. Talk about ambulance chasing. Do we have a word for this sort of thing - ie that's printable?

In general I have found the estate agency activity is on the increase her probably due to the publicity and FH Centrale.

Johnc

29-10-2007 09:13 AM

Had one throught the letter box last week. Not sure if it was a Foxton's but came withe the headline "People are looking for properties in your street". It was accompanied by a picture. All that was on it was a half page print of one of the street sign for Devonshire Road. So at least I know where I live now. Bizarre!

baggydave

26-11-2007 11:08 PM

Foxtons have now sent out a nice glossy brochure. After years of pretending that I live in South Dulwich I have made it even more up market as they consider we are part of South West London - they have taken activities out of a Time Out Guide (residents of SW London know they barely have to go up to the West End to enjoy a full cultural life ... Balham... Putney... Battersea. They talk about Northcote Road SW11 rather than North Cross Road).

The talk is about property prices going up, and exceeding asking price, and high rents. Odd as it is a buyers market, and not exactly helpful for first time buyers 'lightning let, record price (8.4 million, 1.9 above asking price).

They can't even get details of what is on at the Horniman right (no it isn't Raise the Roof).

And what is worse, by the number of green for sale signs they seem to be suceeding (+ now getting in on the act of sponsoring schools).

Perhaps it is only me that gets wound up. I fell another letter to the lead singer of Echo and the Bunnymen coming on.

andyvit

01-12-2007 12:48 AM

I am really glad you guys brought up this Subject!
As new to FH I've unfortunately moved through Foxtons and let me tell you this is a mistake you don't want to know.
You possibly think they're upmarket but underneath they're as slimey and vile as all their other branches.
I've signed my contract with precise instruction and they're negletted it leavin me with 2 days to decorate my whole place and not being sure i was even going to move (they avoid all my phone calls and e-mails and when confronted i got told they were to busy...not too busy to chase me up when they needed the money).
And there's more...My agent lyied to me and my Landlord so that he'd sign up for a managed property (so they can get even more money from him) even if when i signed the contract I've requested to manage the property myself as I like to deal directly with the landlord.
They breach so many points in the contract but unfortunately I 've no money to take them to court or make sure I can get my voice heard...in the meantime i've got charged ? 370 for finding fees and administration...but at least i've found my Landlord and got rid of Foxtons...
Please Avoid them!

But at least I live in FH!!

millesens

01-12-2007 02:25 PM

They are arrogant and poorly educated idiots. They called me a little more than a month ago and started their "blah blah blah" about how they could come and give me a free valuation. As I insisted I was not intersted in selling and was in a rush to go to an appointment, I stupidly agreed to be called back ( I hoped they wouldn't as I had been quite short). They called many times and left messages on my answer phone. When they finally found me at home I had just been crying because of the death of a family member and told them it was not a good time withouth giving details at first. But they went on and on and when I finally had to spell it "I am preparing to leave to go to a family funeral" they asked me when they could call me back. I could not believe their words. Boycott these ignorant idiots !

baggydave

01-12-2007 09:01 PM

Good heavens, two more people agreeing with BD (although my comments were a bit more 'moderated'). For older people amongst us there was an estate agents (what were they called?) with a green cross, that was bought up by Halifax in the late 80s. At this point there was less control over them and they used to 'big-up' every property in lavish prose. And add a few ?k on at the same time.

Baggy Dave, the voice of reason

andyvit

01-12-2007 10:40 PM

I don't think you need to add anymore Millesens...

roz

02-12-2007 08:50 AM

Some agents are more aggressive than others - this lot are particularly horrendous. Beware also the 'Barefaced Thieves' in case they come to a town near you.....

baggydave

23-12-2007 01:27 PM

B hell, its enormous (that's what they all say, tee,hee). Quarter Estate Agent, and the remainder a bar/cafe. Assume it was the old benefit office, so suppose no loss there. They must think they are onto something, with that level of investment. Anyone actually ventured into the new Foxtons. With my hatred of their marketing campaign and mini coopers I just couldn't.

BD - both the good and the bad

ontheedge

30-12-2007 12:45 AM

baggydave wrote:
B hell, its enormous (that's what they all say, tee,hee). Quarter Estate Agent, and the remainder a bar/cafe. Assume it was the old benefit office, so suppose no loss there. They must think they are onto something, with that level of investment. Anyone actually ventured into the new Foxtons. With my hatred of their marketing campaign and mini coopers I just couldn't.

BD - both the good and the bad

Hi new to this but share my loathing of Foxtons. I wouldn't be suprised if residents permits parking is soo brought into the side streets off LL as if you walk down any of them the car which I used to love once and now loathe is parked down them like self reproducing cockroaches. Worse still there is one parked outside my flats in HO.
Anyway hope to be able to join in some friendly chat and learn more about whats going on round.

hilltopgeneral

30-12-2007 11:53 PM

ontheedge wrote:
Worse still there is one parked outside my flats in HO.

Even estate agents have to live somewhere. As do cockroaches.

You could try to eliminate this paticular pest by keying the Mini. Apparently it is effective if one persists, and is humane enough.

lillam

25-01-2008 02:46 AM

hilltopgeneral wrote:

ontheedge wrote:
Worse still there is one parked outside my flats in HO.

You could try to eliminate this paticular pest by keying the Mini. Apparently it is effective if one persists, and is humane enough.

you, and other foxton haters, might be interested to know the group Class War are making Foxtons the centre of a number of forthcoming actions!:
http://ianbone.wordpress.com/2008/01/24/...o-foxtons/

Quote:
FXXK FOXTONS on Monday March 3rd:
?AGAINST ESTATE AGENTS -DEVELOPERS - GENTRIFIERS-LETTING AGENTS?
MASS PICKET OF FOXTONS BRANCH AT THE ANGEL ISLINGTON
2PM - 9PM MONDAY MARCH 3RD

...they have a point. The yuppie-attracting image of Foxtons is certainly shows they are not about providing affordable housing to working people - it is all about artificially increasing property values and milking profits before the bubble bursts, after which they'll make their escape in their mini coopers

my mates sister worked for them for a while, but said her bosses were a bunch of letchy coke-heads, and got out fast.

lillam

20-02-2008 08:28 PM

lillam wrote:
The yuppie-attracting image of Foxtons is certainly shows they are not about providing affordable housing to working people - it is all about artificially increasing property values and milking profits before the bubble bursts, after which they'll make their escape in their mini coopers

In case you thought I was being overly critical, THe TImes has chipped in and exposed Foxtons for the scum mercheants they are:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment...599506.ece
"Foxtons are here to drive up house prices, it?s their avowed intent"

hilltopgeneral

20-02-2008 09:10 PM

lillam wrote:
In case you thought I was being overly critical, THe TImes has chipped in and exposed Foxtons for the scum mercheants they are:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment...599506.ece
"Foxtons are here to drive up house prices, it?s their avowed intent"

...and Janice Turner lives, of course, in East Dulwich...

baggydave

24-02-2008 09:02 AM

Class War? Oh the good old day's (I thought that it had gone bust)

Didn't we have a great time protesting in the 80s and early 90s

"No Poll Tax, no Poll Tax
Maggie Maggie Maggie..."

Now it is "No Foxtons No Foxtons"

I can hear the rumble coming over from Dawson's Heights as I type

BD - fond memories

baggydave

24-02-2008 05:03 PM

?2.5 million for a house in the (Dulwich) Village, ouch

Like the comment earlier that staff at Foxtons were taking class A drugs - well the manager appears (thanks to their Feb glossy they distribute to the posh estate) that he could do with some, as he appears to overindulge in cream cakes (second ouch for below the belt, or in this case coming over the belt, comment).

And now I am on a roll they even appear to employ people who look like Linda Barker.

BD - You are someone else
I am still right here

Snazy

25-02-2008 09:18 AM

baggydave wrote:
?2.5 million for a house in the (Dulwich) Village, ouch

I make that a good price.
When you think the house or shell of a house that collaped in Church Rise sold for just under ?1m and would have resold for just over ?2m when converted.

Some of the properties in the village are lovely. Shame about the through traffic, but lovely places.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  East Dulwich Forum christgill 2 5,408 15-03-2020 11:54 AM
Last Post: samuelsen
  East Dulwich Picture House robin orton 1 4,276 31-05-2015 09:54 PM
Last Post: shzl400
  Fatal shooting in East Dulwich billham 8 10,761 09-03-2009 08:44 PM
Last Post: Bonnie Blue
  10 reasons not to emulate East Dulwich hilltopgeneral 22 29,501 09-12-2008 07:19 AM
Last Post: psyche9