SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
HOP parking problems
Tersie

06-03-2008 04:46 PM

I live near Honor Oak Station and we have the same problem with people parking in surrounding roads so they can commute up to town. In the day and evenings it can be really hard to get a space here. I am sure when the overground goes in (or before this) something will have to be done, maybe a CPZ if it gets really bad. Does anyone else have any problems in HOP?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lillam

28-03-2008 07:59 PM

tersie wrote:
I am sure when the overground goes in (or before this) something will have to be done, maybe a CPZ if it gets really bad.

...I really hope not - one of the nicest things about S London is the lack of meters, resident parking, and all that stuff.

It must be a drag living really close to the station, but its only a problem in that direct vicinity I think.

Tersie

28-03-2008 08:06 PM

I agree Lilliam - I can't stand meters myself but no doubt it will get to the point in HOP (esp when the new line opens) where some kind of CPZ will need to be applied as so many people will just park up and use the overground to the city. The positive about CPZ is that residents get to park outside thier homes instead of having to drive round for 10 mins trying to find a space streets away from where they live. time will tell what will happen.

Sherwood

28-03-2008 09:24 PM

I expect we will soon have our own congestion charge zone.

brian

29-03-2008 03:54 PM

I do notb agree with metres but selfish parkers , mainly I assume from outside the area , are forcing us to consider it as an option
For instance at Forest Hill of Dacres Road virtually no cars parking on the road after 8pm or at weekends. Weekdays after 7.30 am impossible to park any where near yourm house.My sympathy with the post from HOP.
We could try leaving notices in the windscreens pointing out how anti social there people are.
All people should walk or get the bus to the local station. Never very far.

Sherwood

29-03-2008 09:14 PM

Not all the cars parked in Forest Hill belong to commuters. I know that some people who work in Forest Hill drive in and park.

borderpaul

30-03-2008 12:35 AM

Yes, I think we have a number of contributing factors. I don't think the local workforce who park on my street has increased in recent years. It amounts to a few teachers and a solicitor.

I think the two main factors are commuters and a rise in the number of young people who are moving to the area who own cars for occasional use.

I have noticed quite a few more cars now that sit on my street all week and never move till Saturday morning and then return on Sunday evening. It is a sign that the area is on the up and is attracting more affluent people but it does annoy the rest of us who for family or other reasons need to use a car regularly and are helped by being able to park near to their house. There is no easy solution. A CPZ would reduce the attractiveness of parking on a street 5 minutes away from the station which let's face it is irresistible for a commuter but I don't want a scheme that penalises local workers, parents or shoppers.

brian

30-03-2008 12:28 PM

I still maintain a restriction say from 10 to 11am each working day will work. Locals could be issued with permits with nominal charge.
Seems to work in other areas.

Sherwood

30-03-2008 02:31 PM

brian,

I think that is the best solution. It gives other people a chance to park for a few minutes, but prevents all day parking.

brian

30-03-2008 06:39 PM

Hello Sherwood
I wrote to the council via my councillor recently and they were adamant it was CPZs or nothing.
I know many councils who do this 1 hour policy but seems Lewisham will not consider it at present. I guess less revenue.
Need as many people as possible who agree to write to their councillor

CJS

31-03-2008 02:34 PM

I hope we won't end up having a CPZ. When I lived in Oval we had similar parking 'problems' with commuters accessing the Northern Line. However once the CPZ was in place no-one could find a parking space, not even the residents with a ??? permit.

I like living where there are none of these imposed parking restrictions.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Parking problems questionnaire blushingsnail 31 33,515 09-12-2008 03:13 PM
Last Post: brian
  Dacres Road parking problems brian 24 24,635 08-03-2008 04:45 PM
Last Post: Sherwood