SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Southern Railway prepares for Winter
andrewr

18-11-2011 03:27 PM

Looks like it is not just Lewisham that has improved their preparations for winter. The latest stakeholder brief from our rail company, Southern, suggests that they have done a lot of work since last winter to keep trains running if it snows. Details here. Only time will tell whether their preparations really make a difference but it's encouraging news. Certainly the new de-icing trains are likely to be more useful than the more widely reported space blankets and glow sticks!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tinkerbell

20-11-2011 11:05 AM

Good news indeed, hope they'll be able to keep the service up and running most days this winter! When I saw the heading, I thought they were simply dusting off the "no trains today due to sun/rain/fog/leaves/snow/wind/bad PMS" signs.

Sherwood

21-11-2011 09:53 AM

I believe the DLR keeps running because its live rail has a different design.

andrewr

21-11-2011 11:59 AM

Different conductor rail on DLR certainly helps because the train picks up from underneath the rail so the contact doesn't get iced over. Overhead power is also better - at least until the power wires get so loaded with ice they collapse under the weight. That's probably not a problem if the line is in use because the power wire will stay warm. Unfortunately, it would be rather expensive to convert the whole third rail network to a different type of conductor now so heating it, sweeping it and applying de-icing fluids are probably the most practical solutions.

Interesting to see that Southern have also given some attention to the problems of staff actually getting into their depots too - although I guess that if the roads are closed there will still be problems with staff getting to work...

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields