SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Intruders in Garden, Garthorne Road
honoroak

17-11-2011 03:00 PM

Hi caught two people in our garden breaking into my shed last week at 5:45pm while we were all in the kitchen. I live on Garthorne road, which runs along the back of the train line / nature reserve -
it's very easy to access the nature reserve so keep and eye out this time of year.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
moth

17-11-2011 05:20 PM

Hi Honoroak sorry to hear of this local incident>. Have you reported it to the police? I seem to recall another forum member had their bike stolen from their garden shed so there may be a link there. Thanks for the warning.

honoroak

17-11-2011 05:45 PM

Hi yes I did, I should have specified the st on the subject as to alert the people in Garthorne & Grierson road who's houses run down beside the train track, having said that people in the area in all streets are affected.

The police came out and put a dog over the back, it picked up their scent and confirmed they fled out by the gate on beadnell st. (clever dog)

I went to Police station and gave a statement, they were v helpful.

It's just this time of year, the police recommended putting trellis fence up and security light.

Londondrz

18-11-2011 10:49 AM

Can you post descriptions so we can all keep an eye open for these lovely people?

Perryman

18-11-2011 11:20 AM

The gate on beadnell st. is always locked and the fencing there very high - the garthorne Rd garden extension is very secure.

I speak as some who was rather rudely locked in there a few years ago on one of the rare open days. Pure luck that I'm not still locked in there now.

stefan

18-11-2011 11:39 AM

can you post a description of yourself perryman so we dont mistake you for an intruder the next timeSmile

honoroak

18-11-2011 04:31 PM

The gate is still easy to climb over, the gates fine, the brick wall
to the right of it has warn away like steps, easy to climb up with a
small piece of barbed wire pulled to the side to jump over.

Also the property on the left of the gates fence has been pushed down, bent over so it's still easy access, along with the gaps in properties up the road when the fence has been cut.

I went from pillar to post speaking to various different departments at Lewisham council to find out who maintains it, got no help.

Found and emailed theses guys in the end, see if they come back with anything.
http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/inmyarea/open...fPL8.email

stevjohn

18-11-2011 06:11 PM

Hi honoroak
Moth pointed out that someone else on the forum had their bike stolen from their garden shed recently. That person was me! Did you catch a glimpse of them? If they are in any way linked to my theft I'd like to keep an eye out for them myself. Could you describe them?

honoroak

18-11-2011 07:34 PM

Hi Stevjohn,
Unfortunately I didn't really see them, they were hooded and scarfed up.
I couldn't make out their faces, They flew over the fence.
sorry, and sorry to hear they got your bike, they had mine half out of
the shed.

mrwandle

21-11-2011 10:46 AM

If there's a problem with the gate or any council maintained fences perhaps try downloading the lovecleanlondon app (if you've got the right kind of phone), take a picture of the problem and log it with them. Lewisham seem very pleased with how they use it to deal with 'quality of life' issues for residents:

http://www.lovecleanlondon.org/Reports/Home

They're milking the PR for starting it off so it might be of some use.

tricky128

21-11-2011 11:06 AM

I live on Grierson, and found that someone had taken the trouble to unscrew the hinges off our shed about two weeks ago (the door has a padlock on it), nothing was taken as nothing of real value in there other than gardening stuff.

Unpleasant to think people sneaking around our gardens.

Erekose

21-11-2011 08:51 PM

very unpleasant indeed. We were leafleted recently by the Police about theft from sheds which I think is related to the spate of break-ins around Hurstbourne Road. The usual suggestions were made about securing sheds against casual theft.
More vigilance needed by all.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields