SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Our local supermarket: a cautionary tale
Cellar Door

30-11-2011 02:43 PM

roz wrote:
…try finding an Asda…

rshdunlop wrote:
Asda is also on Old Kent Road - although to be fair, they don't really have a big presence in the South East of England, let alone South East London.

Good News for all people of SE23 Land! Asda are also now in Peckham. Right on our collective doorstep. Don’t walk there. RUN!

Opening Day at Asda Supermarket, Peckham.

They are conveniently located at the southern end (closest to us) of Rye Lane. They have taken over the old Netto store.

2.4 miles on foot from Forest Hill Railway Station! Direct from SE23 by bus. Take your pick - 197 or 363.

Please do make a note of the address “172-174 Rye Lane, Peckham SE15 4NB” for your Apps or WAP enabled mobile telephone or Filofax.

I’ve been in there and it is lovely. They have a whole section with Ethnic food stuffs. And it is just big enough that they stock George Essentials. And a bakery. It’s not nearly as big as the Old Kent Road store. But it does have quite a sizable car park if you prefer to motor there in your jaunty jalopy.

From our house, which is a hop, skip and a jump from Forest Hill Railway Station, to Asda in Peckham is a delightful stroll over the the hill and down the other side. Make sure for your safety that you avoid East Dulwich and “those people”. (We both know the types I mean.)

Anyway, I like to meander through Peckham Rye Park past the peaceful and well kept ponds and the superb Japanese Garden.

Taking a stroll in Peckham Rye Park.

You can nip in for a big steaming mug of fine coffee at the Café on the Rye on the common next door. Or maybe a cup of tea?

Café on the Rye.

Or you could pop into that really cool looking one called The Gardens in the old Electrical Engineers at 184 Peckham Rye. They serve fancy Algerian coffee, don’t you know?

The Gardens Café, 184 Peckham Rye.

And finally some shopping at the new Asda in Peckham. While you’re in there you might want to grab some free-range organic chicken that will not go stinky the next day?

After all this local adventuring you may choose to jump on the bus. Remembering, of course, the frequent and convenient 197 or 363.

Then sit back, relax and enjoy your ride with your bags bursting with your Asda bounty.
And, as if by magic before you know it, you’ll be back home. Happy and safe once again in SE23 Land.

I’ll see you down there.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Our local supermarket: a cautionary tale - Cellar Door - 30-11-2011 02:43 PM